CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Trailer)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Send a message via AIM to fifty3dragons
Eon (Trailer) Entry: Wade White

Wade White is entered in the "Eon Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Finished Trailer: One ending is another beginning ...

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Well, I just finished the novel yesterday and quite enjoyed it. I've never tried something like this before -- the challenge, I mean, not reading -- but I'm determined to at least finish and submit something. I'm planning on doing a 2D limited animation style trailer using primarily Mirage.

I haven't done up the rough storyboard yet, but I have been roughing out the beats for a screenplay as I would write it for this novel. In my thinking, the difference between a teaser and a trailer is that while a teaser is simply aimed at grabbing the viewer's attention and piquing curiosity, a trailer should actually tell a little story, like a min-version of the movie but without giving everything away (because what would be the point of that, right?).

Thus to tell a mini version, I figure I need to have at least a rough idea of the full version as I would write it. What would I leave out (from the story as told in the novel)? What would I include? What one main thread would connect the whole thing together? What characters would appear and which ones wouldn't? Which events need to happen on screen, and which would be peripheral to the story in movie version? Because I can only include in the trailer what I would include in the movie, which obviously, given the size of the book, isn't going to be everything.

Maybe this seems like overthinking it (since we're not actually making THE trailer for a movie based on the novel), but it's the approach that makes the most sense for me individually. I tend to think long on the front end, then dive in and do it once I have a solid plan in place.

Although it's not strictly speaking part of the requirements, I may post the story beats here once they're finished. I've already outlined the novel (took about four pages of paper on both sides). By kind of mapping out the whole novel in front of me like that, it makes it much easier to decide what needs to stay and what can go.

At this point, I know the main thrust of the story as I would tell it would focus on Patricia (perhaps obviously) and her desire to keep/change the future. Following the Syd Field method of screenplay writing, the first plot point near the end of Act 1 would be her discovery of the impending war, the midpoint would be the nuclear holocaust, and the second plot point near the end of Act 2 would probably be the revelation of the Jart threat (not entirely sure on that one yet, although that is more or less where it comes in the novel). Of course, in a trailer that will likely all get jumbled around a bit.

Anyway, like I said, I've never tried anything like this before, so what do I know? :-)

Should be fun though.

Oh, and I did put together a rough music track this evening using ACID. I'm presuming composing with loop tracks is okay? I guess perhaps I should check the FAQ on that score (no pun intended).

Best of luck to everyone!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Concept Art - The Frant

Just a quick sketch done in Photoshop tonight. Thought I might as well start tossing the images in my head down on paper while they're fresh.

Last edited by fifty3dragons : 12-11-2006 at 01:37 AM.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
OZ
2d,3d,all is good 4 me!

portfolio
Fabio Oscar Corica
2d 3d modeler and animator
Florence, Italy

mmmh! nice sketch!!!

B-movie

Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Thanks, Oz.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

So, I finished the rough beats for my trailer. After putting together a beat sheet for the movie as I would write it, I used that to in turn develop my outline. I've already done up a preliminary sound track, so I timed it to the music and used that to more or less determine how many "beats" I have to work with. I'll post the timing with the storyboards (which I'll start hopefully tonight).

My idea is to more or less focus on Patricia throughout the trailer and use her story to hint at the wider story of the stone. So I pick out quotes either from her or in relation to her and sprinkled those throughout. I'm contemplating intermixing some written text in the first four or five beats to explain the Stone more explicitly. It starts out slow and dreamy, then the tempo picks up at beat six and builds until just before the end. I may also switch 13 and 14 (I originally had them reversed to what they are now).

[numbers following are page numbers]

BEATS

1. Image: shuttle approaching the Stone
Patricia: "I'll be gone for a couple of months, maybe longer." (15)
2. Image: Patricia seeing the second chamber for the first time
Hoffman: "You're uncertain about Patricia." (124)
3. Image: Patricia standing inside the library
Lanier: "She's young." (124)

4. Image: Patricia watching the sixth chamber machinery
Olmy: "She has the Mystery." (426)

5. Image: Patricia disembarking from shuttle (27)
Pilot: "Promise us, someday you'll tell us what the hell happened up here?"
Patricia: "Why do you think they'll tell me?"
Pilot: "Don't you know? You're here to save them."

6. Image: date of 2110 inside the cover of the library book
Patricia: "The Stone is from our future." (54)
Lanier: "From a future." (54 - actually from Patricia on page 100)

7. Image: missiles launching / nuclear blast (?)
Patricia: "There's going to be a catastrophe in less than a month." (100)
Lanier: "Yes."

8. Image: soldiers assembling
Patricia: "What are they doing about it?" (108)
Lanier: "All that they can."

9. Patricia: "You want me to stay here while all the people I love die in a war I
already know about?" (109)
10. Image: the tuberider zips along the plasma tube
Olmy: "She believes she can open a gate to an alternate universe." (401)

11. Image: Patricia with Olmy
Carrolson: "She's missing." (246)

12. Image: Lanier and Hoffman
Lanier: "I'm not going to just give up on her." (247)

13. Patricia opening her gate (467-471; or alternatively 446 ff.)
14. Mirsky in the library with fists raised
Mirsky: "Where are you?" (369)

15. EON logo
16. Text: Coming soon to theatres everywhere.
17. Credits

Does anyone know if the credits for the trailer itself (i.e. mentioning voice-over people, etc) counts in the 90 sec. time limit? Another question for the FAQ I guess.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
OZ
2d,3d,all is good 4 me!

portfolio
Fabio Oscar Corica
2d 3d modeler and animator
Florence, Italy

mmmh...the time limit is a problem for me too.....90 sec. are not enought for my first trailer version.
Anyway...very interesting trailer...i mean...very focused on the book.A trailer that use the book text to explain a lot...i like it...Tell me,did you plan to use real actors for your scenes?

B-movie

Old 10-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Heh. Well, if by "real actors" you mean actual actors (i.e. trained actors), then no. I don't have those sorts of contacts unfortunately (actually, I'm wrong; as I sat here typing that, I just realized I know at least two people who have studied acting, so I'll put a hold on that thought while I make a few calls ).

But in any case I do intend to use distinct voices for each of the characters that has any dialogue in the trailer. I may do one of the voices myself, if push comes to shove. My wife could do Patricia or Carrolson. I have a few other friends who would be willing to pitch in. And my brother-in-law lived in Ukraine for several years and can pull off a convincing Russian accent for Mirsky. My biggest problem is setup. I don't really have a proper audio setup for recording (well, I have a five dollar microphone hooked up to my system, but that's hardly a "setup").

So audio right now is probably my biggest hurdle.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 1-3

This is actually my second set of rough storyboards. I did up the first set based on the beats I wrote out and posted. Then as I was doing up the boards I realized I needed a better introduction. So I did that up and stuck in on front, but then realized I had to way too much material. So with some cropping and rearranging I came up with the following.

There are still a few places where I know I'll make some changes in the edited version. But it's good enough for rough, and a fair reflection of how I envisioned the trailer overall.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 4-6

As is apparent from a comparison between the beats and the actual boards, I put in some text to better introduce the story and contextualize Patricia. She's still very much the focus, of course. But I think this sets it up better and makes things less ambiguous overall (which my original beats were slightly, I think).

Old 10-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 7-9

More storyboard goodness!

Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 10-12

This is getting to the end of the first third of the trailer. Up to this point the pace is fairly slow. The music is kind of low and dreamy. But it picks up slightly around the 30 second mark, and then another 16 seconds later really changes tempo.

This is also getting to the place in terms of the boards where my new intro finishes up and the original beats come back into play more, although I did a little editing on those as well in terms of both content and order, just to make the "story" flow better.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 13-15

I had this little conversation with the pilot in the original beats. I think it provides a nice segue between the slower intro and the rest of the trailer that attempts to hint at Patricia's center role in all this. I changed the wording from the book just a bit, one to make it easier to say, and two to pique viewer interset (i.e. having the pilot say "save them" is easier than "save their collective hides," but if I put in "save the world" it gives away too much (in terms of the movie at that point) because most people don't realize the world is in any immediate danger -- well, other than the kiind it's always in).

Anyway, I did flesh it out a bit better with a few more boards, but I'm pretty sure this sequence is a keeper.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #14
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 16-18

The end of the seque, and the change in tempo big time with Panel 17 into the second half of the trailer. Things really start moving along here. In fact, it may be that there's too much crammed in there (in terms of dialogue anyway). I'll have to wait until I do the scratch track to see if it will all fit in nicely. I can always crop here and there a little if need be.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Panels 19-21

I'm not as happy with the first two boards here (I don't mean drawing-wise, although I admit my boards take very seriously the designation "rough").

What I mean to say is, I'm not as happy with the sequence. When I did some rearranging of panels, I need a couply to drop in here for pacing, and these were the two left over, but I'm not quite satisfied. So in a salute to laziness, I stuck them in for now, rather than draw up yet more boards. But I suspect they will change in the edited version.

Thread Closed share thread