Eon (Trailer) Entry: Raphael Estrada

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #31
Just changed the tire idea. Wouldn't be very practical if they were standing out left and right of the truck. First I thought of it being part beach buggy, like the one's NASA has for the moon...now I'll be putting the tires "into" the vehicle, making them smaller.

Old 11 November 2006   #32
Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Truck wip

Software: Wings3D

The truck, in Wings 3D. WIP of course.

Gotta get some food and coffee now ;)

Old 11 November 2006   #33
Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Chamber scale?

Hi

I dont' know about the rest of you guys, but I'm having big problems to understand the form/scale of the chambers. It says in the book: a squat cylinder, 50km in Diameter, 30km across the floor. Since the vocabulary in the book is already difficult for me, I might as well just ask you guys:

how do those chambers look? Is the "floor" actually spanned around the whole inner side of the chamber? The way gravity is described (zero gravity at the axis), it seems so. Then, where is atmosphere? Only at the "ground" (whicht would basically be everywhere...but then again, I haven' read of anybody walking up walls) or all over the inside?

At first I believed the chambers would be more like on the pic I posted last week. Now I'm thinking about something like this (please overlook the crappy modelling).

Can anybody please help me out on this?

Old 11 November 2006   #34
Originally Posted by Galaktor:
Hi

I dont' know about the rest of you guys, but I'm having big problems to understand the form/scale of the chambers. It says in the book: a squat cylinder, 50km in Diameter, 30km across the floor. Since the vocabulary in the book is already difficult for me, I might as well just ask you guys:

how do those chambers look? Is the "floor" actually spanned around the whole inner side of the chamber? The way gravity is described (zero gravity at the axis), it seems so. Then, where is atmosphere? Only at the "ground" (whicht would basically be everywhere...but then again, I haven' read of anybody walking up walls) or all over the inside?

At first I believed the chambers would be more like on the pic I posted last week. Now I'm thinking about something like this (please overlook the crappy modelling).

Can anybody please help me out on this?

Surely

The chambers are 50km diameter, you got that right. The "floor" is all the way around the edge, so that high buildings will point to the tube. Think of the film 2001 and it's scene where a man jogs around the inside of the ship. That would mean the atmosphere in the above image is wrong, it needs to hug the floor all the way around like a sort of cylinder. The rotation of the asteroid keeps all the atmosphere (and everything else) pressed against the edge.

The tube - in the 7th chamber the tube is described as being a singularity 0.5 meters in diameter, very very thin compared to the scale of the Way (the Way is the name given to the 7th chamber) but I haven't gotten around to finding out what the tube dimensions are in the other previous chambers. I would think your representation there is too big though, but I guess it's all open to interpretation, if you want to change it - change it. Visual impact has to take some kind of front seat now & then.

I don't know about the length of each chamber, but I do know that visibility in the 7th chamber is limited to 30km. (In fact I changed that detail for my trailer to give a more dramatic image).

Good luck with your progression, once you get the main concept of how the asteroid works than you should have no trouble putting that excellent design into practice

Last edited by DMarkwick : 11 November 2006 at 02:28 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #35
Now it's making sense to me. It's interesting how you sometimes get stuck on the first picture that shoots through your mind. I should have figured that the rotation produces gravity on all sides. My main problem was actually the description of the squat cylinder. But now I get it (fast, eh?).

Thank you, especially for the example from 2001.

Oh, and by the way, a little update on our "progress" (if you can call it that):

We're spending every little bit of spare time modelling and working on the concept. It's just we're to busy to actually work enough - I'm really really sorry about that, because this is really fun. Still, I threw away some of our storyboard and patched it up to show from another point of view. I love that sentence from Mirsky when he says: "But someday...the time will come...when we will take it away from them." Our animatic will stay the same from the point where Patricia discovers the dark secret of the libraries. I also hope to keep that phrase about the end of mankind being just the beginning. I'll see if I can redew the storyboard soon, chop it up and post it here.

Old 11 November 2006   #36
Oh, and by the way, I thought the plasma tube - being the only source of light in the chambers - should be much thicker than half a meter....it does have to shine pretty bright, doesn't it?

...then again...what the heck do I know about plasma tubes?

Last edited by Galaktor : 11 November 2006 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added something

Old 11 November 2006   #37
Originally Posted by Galaktor: Oh, and by the way, I thought the plasma tube - being the only source of light in the chambers - should be much thicker than half a meter....it does have to shine pretty bright, doesn't it?

...then again...what the heck do I know about plasma tubes?

Well, to be fair it's the singularity in the 7th chamber that is only half a meter wide, I don't know how big the tubelights are in the other 6 chambers. If I were to model the Flaw in my scene as it's described in the book, you'd never see it as I don't currently have any scenes that get close to it. This is another example of something I'm going to have to take liberties with for dramatic effect, probably by making it glow a lot more than in the book so that it's visible from the floor 25 km below.

Old 11 November 2006   #38
As far as I know, the (only?) main thing visible from the ground are the rings moving quickly through the tube.

I hope I'll get through the book soon, with every page I get new ideas and have to modify the trailer storyboard.

Old 11 November 2006   #39
how do the chambers work then, because I dont quite understand it all either, are they back to back seperated by walls, or are they all in the same space situated around the outside of the inside if you get what I mean? I'm uber confused by the whole thing, but reading these posts has definately helped.

Old 11 November 2006   #40
Originally Posted by Billybob06: how do the chambers work then, because I dont quite understand it all either, are they back to back seperated by walls, or are they all in the same space situated around the outside of the inside if you get what I mean? I'm uber confused by the whole thing, but reading these posts has definately helped.

Imagine the asteroid is hollowed out into one long internal cylinder the whole length of the asteroid. Then imagine this cylinder is sectioned off into 7 parts, so that they are "stacked" one on top of the other. They all have the same central axis, the same diameter, and I presume the same length (apart from the 7th chamber obviously). It's a bit like you stacked 7 half-height food tins one on top of the other.

So when the asteroid is rotated around it's long axis, all the chambers get the same amount of "gravity" from centrifugal force.

Old 11 November 2006   #41
Aaahhhhhh! Now its all becoming clear. Cheers man, maybe now I can get on with a concept that actually makes some sence

Old 11 November 2006   #42
DOWN UP LEFT BACK TOP RIGHT BOTTOM...... is easy to go mad with it!
I love the truck design!!! curious to see it finished.
Keep it uP!

B-movie

Old 11 November 2006   #43
Very nice trailer concept. I also like the tagline you have "The end of mankind...."

I'm looking forward to seeing some great visuals to this timeline. How do you plan on doing the various short scenes? I was thinking of doing something like that too, but it sounded like a lot of work for just a few flashes of action. But if you can pull that stuff off, then it will be something that really makes your trailer hit hard.

By the way, I thought the stone chambers were supposed to be "squashed cylinders"? Does that mean that they should almost be elliptical in shape (except for the valley and the floor area)? Like squashing it on it's other axis, you know??

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Old 11 November 2006   #44
I actually redid some of the storyboard. As soon as the new version is complete I'll show it. Basically I took out the unnecessary stuff like the news guy and the shot of Hofmann and Lanier looking at the screens. Instead I just start off in space quietly, then as soon as the OTV shoots by the camera torward the stone, it remains more or less the same.

So I'll concentrate on two storytelling levels
1. Patricia arrives via OTV on the stone, gets driven by truck to Alexandria and discovers the bad news in a book
2. Mirsky talking in the "off", essentially saying "We will take it away from them".

After that, those various short scenes begin, along with that phrase. Like I said, it becomes more clear in the storyboards.

To be honest, I don't believe we will complete this project until deadline. We will try our best, but we really want to do this good, as a practice. So even if it takes until August 2007....we want it done right

Old 11 November 2006   #45
That's a great attitude! This is to challenge us all to do something huge and get our brains thinking on a bigger level than just doing meticulous sculptures. The driving success of the cg industry and especially in films is the storytelling. People can present all the eye candy they want, but if there's nothing being told, then boooo we say.....

I think this is a great exercise for all of us, from the beginners to the experts, to flex our creative muscles and find out what our strengths and weaknesses are. The only way to do that is to have a tight deadline, an epic vision, and a desire to create something that moves on the screen as it does in our minds.

Sorry, you got me all inspired to make a speech. We all must finish this no matter how long it takes!

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Thread Closed share thread