CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Trailer)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #16
Sandpiper
It's for the children....

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: 3D previz

Software: 3ds max

This is in essence the mood and rhythm I'm going for. I've used a couple of audio cuts from the movie, The Abyss. These are just to set a mood for the visuals temporarily. I've already got a guy lined up to write the music for this and it'll be along the same flavor. So all original music will be in there. The biped is Patricia and there's been no animation work done on her yet except for some placeholding footsteps. It'll be all custom animation in the end.

I've been told by one of my peers that it's too simple, but heck it's about 45 seconds already. Plus, I won't have a whole lotta of time to do more than this scope.....

anyway, more to come.....any crit would be super now that I'm getting some visuals for everyone to see.

Play Video >>

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
Galaktor
Veteran

Raphael
Augsburg, Germany

It really is simple, but that makes it very teaser-like, so that does not have to be bad. If you stick to "just" this, then you're whole teaser will depend on three elements:

- the amazingness of the city
- the music
- the logo

If those three things kick ass, I think it would work out pretty good. It also does not give you that much of room for missing the target. Well, that's just my humble opinion.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Yeah, since I don't have much time in my schedule I had to make it teaser like instead. What also will help this be a success is if I do a good character as well!

I agree though, the music is vital to this one working.....

[/color]

Old 11-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #19
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Send a message via AIM to fifty3dragons
I think you've done a great job here of compacting an epic story into an intriguing teaser. I thought the music had just the right flavour (I know you've got something original in the works, but along the same lines), the overall pacing was good, and between the text and visuals I think you create enough interest to grab a viewer's attention. And the great part is you've come up with a realistic project for the time you feel you have to work on it (whereas people such as myself may run into potential problems on that end ).

I'd say if you're happy, run with it.

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Thanks fifty3. The last month or so I've been really trying to figure out a way I can do this all the way to final. I don't want my holidays to be stressed with pressures of cranking out a miracle project. Of course, in my mind I still have "eons" left to go to get there. The last challenge I finished was Machineflesh and it took a toll on the family life....so I gotta keep it realistic but satisfying at the same time....

[/color]

Old 11-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #21
opentarget
Expert

portfolio
kevin mc bride
Dublin, Ireland

this is looking great, i love your comparison to the abyss as when i was reading eon i couldnt get the abyss out of my head specifically the colour schems used in the movie. great work mate keep it coming!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #22
Cofiction
True Dat

portfolio
Cofi Hudson
3D Artist / Designer
Helsinki, Finland

Thumbs up Good work!

Very nicely thought out, simple but to the point!
Well working scenes (not sure about the ending with the title, tho).
Anyway this is very potent stuff your on about - I kinda like the pulse - proper teaser feel.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 AM   #23
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Hey thanks for the crits! I also am unsure about that ending title.....I just liked the idea of showing some hint of the outside of the Stone at the end to further intrigue the potential audience. Perhaps the end title needs to be more mysterious instead of a big hit? .... more to come later on.... regular work has taken over my last couple weeks too :(

[/color]

Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #24
OZ
2d,3d,all is good 4 me!

portfolio
Fabio Oscar Corica
2d 3d modeler and animator
Florence, Italy

Simple but working very well...i agree Galaktor words about the teaser like style!

B-movie

Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #25
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Unhappy I'm out.

Ok, so I've made a big decision and that's to go ahead and drop out of the contest here.

Many reasons why, but mainly it's a time issue in relation to running a company. I've got a animated short I'm trying to finish up for a bunch of festivals next year and that's going to have to take precedence over a challenge (even though it's a great challenge). So my limited free time will have to go to the short.

So, good luck to everyone still staying strong and finishing this thing up. We're already seeing some great competitors step up to the plate and I'm sure the winners will be amazing! I'll keep looking in the final weeks......

[/color]

Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #26
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Send a message via AIM to fifty3dragons
Hey, sorry to hear you won't be able to stay. You had a really promising entry here. But we all have to keep our priorities in check, and it's good you know what yours are. And there are certainly worse things than having too much work to choose from, eh?

Best of luck with the animated short you're working on. Take the festival circuit by storm!

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Hey thanks for the kind words fifty3. I was hoping to at least get the previz out of my mind and into the computer so I at least got that done. It was a great exercise for sure!

And yeah, I hope the short is a success and brings some attention to our studio.

Best of luck in the challenge dude!!

[/color]

Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #28
Cofiction
True Dat

portfolio
Cofi Hudson
3D Artist / Designer
Helsinki, Finland

Unhappy Sorry to see you go...

I was really looking forward to see your finished piece.

Well, another time will come, I'm sure of it.
I'm also a big fan of priorities, so yours is a good choise.
The very best of luck for the festivals ahead!
Have a great New Year!!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #29
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread