CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Trailer)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Sandpiper
It's for the children....

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Eon (Trailer) Entry: Jesse Sandifer

Jesse Sandifer is entered in the "Eon Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Edited storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: 3D previz

click to play video :)

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Last edited by Sandpiper : 11-17-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Looking forward to this one everyone! It should be a learning experience. The film trailer sounded like the most appropriate effort since it will truly suggest the story, emotion, and visual interpretation of the novel itself.

I'm getting the book today and will read the whole thing while we start getting some designs started.

[/color]

Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Claireabella
....the ageing blonde

Claire Duval
Take 27 Ltd
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Claireabella
Welcome to the trailer challenge. Good luck and enjoy!

www.take27.co.uk

Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

status update

I'm at about page 275 in the book now....starting to do sketches of some of the key spots in the book I want to feature in the trailer....more to come later.....

Gotta lot of regular work going on at the same time here so be patient with me!

[/color]

Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Book is done!

All right, I'm finally done with the book. I've been reading it when I have time amidst work and family time. Both very important.

So now concepts, storyboards, designs, etc will start flowing out of me....I hope.

[/color]

Old 11-08-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

getting there....

....ok, I'm getting more inspiration as I go here. So many ideas so little time to waste. I've been looking through a bunch of different trailers of previous movies for reference. I think I'm getting somewhere as far as the intro goes and once I actually start storyboarding some of these ideas out, I'll post em......

Also, need to get started in participating and commenting on others' threads to stay involved in the challenge more.

More to come

[/color]

Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Ok, here's the rough script that will be going along with visual ties in the trailer. Next step is the storyboard so everyone can understand the whole piece. Who knows maybe it's too long or biting off more than I can chew, but it's at least a start.....

Patricia: We did all this?
Pilot: No honey. It was here already.

Pilot: Promise us someday, youíll tell us what the hell happened up here.
Patricia: Why do you think theyíll tell me?
Pilot: Why donít you know? Youíre going to save our collective hide.

Patricia: These are history books about a future, but not necessarily our own?
Lanier: Weíre not certain that itís from our future. It may not be from our universe.
Patricia: But the situations these books describeóthey sound like whatís happening on Earth now, donít they?
Lanier: Yes.
Patricia: So thatís why Iím hereÖto help you figure out how similar the universes might be to decide whether weíre going to have a catastrophic war on EarthÖ.in less than a month.

Patricia: Do they know, down there?
Lanier: Eleven people know, here and there. Can you help?
Patricia: Iím supposed to prevent this? How? What the hell can I do?!
Lanier:I donít know what any of us can do.
Patricia: But the Stone can change things. Itís the crucial difference. Isnít it?

[/color]

Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

I've been thinking about the scope of the script I just posted and what that means as far as how much visuals I would have to create. And yeah, it's too much.

Originally, my concept was:

Act I: Three 1 second pulses of action to black screen of Patricia getting ready to witness Thistledown for the first time and then holding on a big dramatic slo-mo pan reveal from ground level, standing in the archway of the tunnel, looking out at Thistledown (2-3 sec).

"We did all this?"

Low bassy percussive hits in the music.

Act II: The rest of the script (up till and including "I don't know what any of us can do") goes along with short clips of various moments in the story that accompany the voiceover. (i.e. Library scene, the Death, Seventh Chamber, Exterior shots, etc)

Tempo of the music picks up, more instruments and voices start layering in to a big crescendo right before the "I don't know what any of us can do" line - which is just silent

Act III: Big music hit here with slow motion mixedepic shots of environments, mysterious characters like the Frants, Olmy, fast moving transportation, etc. leading up to the last line:

"The Stone can change things. It's the crucial difference.......Isn't it?"

Then some kind of closing image.

Now I don't know about you, but that's a lot of crap to do in two months or whatever. Even if I didn't have a real life, it'd be a lot. I don't really have a team of people and plus, I don't have much time to manage a team.....sooooo.....I was thinking I could get away with doing more of a teaser trailer with a lot less voiceover, but still have some killer visuals. Just not as much.

So here's more along the lines of what I think will work better for the amount of time I have (may hurt my chances at winning, but then again, maybe it'll make it better).

Just using this part of the script with the same sequence of visuals as before (just less):

Patricia: We did all this?
Pilot: No. It was here already.

Pilot: Promise us youíll tell us what the hell happened up here.
Patricia: Why do you think theyíll tell me?
Pilot: Why donít you know? Youíre going to save our collective hide.

Patricia: The Stone can change things. Itís the crucial difference. Isnít it?

Seems like I'm missing stuff now or it just has that big hole feeling though....

Thoughts anyone???

[/color]

Last edited by Sandpiper : 11-09-2006 at 12:21 PM.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
M-Saber
Exterior &Interior Design

portfolio
Mostafa Saber
Architect / Partner
Alpha Designers
Cairo, Egypt

Send a message via MSN to M-Saber Send a message via Yahoo to M-Saber
I think if you're gonna use some words from only 2 situations, combined with more scenes of course, Then you should use less words from the 1st dialog between Patrecia & the pilot. As you've already used only one phrase from the 2nd situation. Also think more of the scenes you'll be shoting while hearing those voices.

Best of Luck

Watch our architectural works

Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Yeah, you're right. I need to revisit the wordage. It's very difficult because I want to be sure I'm not copying anyone else's ideas or concept.

MAYBE, I shouldn't even use much wordage at all. Just have some nice visuals, and then a line spoken vague and intriguing like:

"The Stone can change things........... It's the crucial difference................ Isn't it?

so I could make that the closing statement. kinda drawn out to make it a little lengthier than just a plain statement. Ok, I'm gonna run with this.....

I gotta start visualizing!!! I'm sure that's why I'm not getting much response. No eye candy yet.

[/color]

Last edited by Sandpiper : 11-09-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #11
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: First storyboard piece

This is my first idea for the beginning of the teaser. It's meant to be a pulse thing. I'm not sure how fast it will pulse, but just enough to keep it moving. Anyway, the rest of the storyboard will come later on. Just wanted to get some visuals up. Real rough quality stuff.....

[/color]

Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #12
fifty3dragons
Know-it-All

portfolio
Wade White
Animator
Port Williams, Canada

Send a message via AIM to fifty3dragons
Nice boards. I think they're a good start. They suggest a certain rhythm and mood. I've actually checked out this thread a couple of times now and was in the middle of responding to one of your earlier script post but got sidetracked and never finished. Whoops

I think you've got a good idea about cropping things down if you're worried about your overall time. The first rough script did feel a little bit long on narration to me, not so much the overall amount but some of the individual lines felt a bit on the long side. But then again it depends on the sort of pacing for the trailer you have in mind too, I think.

But I think you're plan of going with a shorter version which is nevertheless based on the longer one should work great, because then if you finish that portion and find you have lots of time left you can easliy lengthen it out to your longer vision.

Anyway, great to see another entry off and running. I'll keep checking back for updates. Hope that helps a bit. Just one person's opinion, of course.

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

Old 11-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #13
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Hey fifty3. Thanks for the fine crit. I'm right on with the lengthy text that you talked about. I was being a bit ambitious and wanted to do something huge. But of course, time is running out and I just need to tone it down a bit. So now, I'll just be happy if I can take what I've boarded so far to final. We'll see how it goes!

[/color]

Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #14
Sandpiper

portfolio
Jesse Sandifer
Owner/Art Director
Chickwalker
Los%2BAngeles,

Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization: Rough storyboards

Software: 3ds max

This is a test of the cgchallenge uploader thing. I've already posted this image before but I just did it as an official milestone. I've got a preview video that's slightly different than this board, but I'll have to post that later on......

[/color]

Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
OZ
2d,3d,all is good 4 me!

portfolio
Fabio Oscar Corica
2d 3d modeler and animator
Florence, Italy

Ok...
SO we can wait for new stuff? the table you post looks great and make me think that you can done a good job...so im curious to see more.

B-movie

Thread Closed share thread