CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Model)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
cg enthusiast / computer science
Cartagena, Colombia

Send a message via MSN to Leotril
head model delay

im having some problems with my head model i lost a couple nights working on it..
I was following this tutorial i dont understand the method the describe for patchin in maya i dont find that option what i can do is an operation call loft but with just 11 splines also i cannot connect the splines that made the topology (page 2 tut they describe taht is basically making another splines for the topology) this method is with polys as u can see .. well i star lofting the splines u know from top to botton when i didi the loft it connects the vertices kinda but is not as precise as in the tutorial but at least i got something but is not pretty yet..

I would like to finish the head model but time is running out i got my splines 23 points on each hope to find a way to patched in maya cause the loftin mthod is not helpint that much

more updates coming today ..

Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio_jordao
Hey Leotril, good start... I hope you have time to finish it... hurry up mate!

Thanks for droping by Claudio..

Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #18
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Modeling: library wip

Modeling the details of the library .. much more to come today including a lightining test :)

Old 01-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #19
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Shading (Textured and lit): test1

I need to add more lights to this also texturing , glass shader need some work also the tube light..
I hope to finish modeling this weekend maybe and then get back to lightining ;)

I just notice that the jpg quality kinda sucks.. ill leave like that for now .. any pointers for a jpg converter programn ?? :)

Last edited by Leotril : 01-04-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #20
BlackDidThis
Nobdoy Special, but ALIVE

portfolio
Black
Belgium

Sorry for dropping by so belated Leonidas;

Even though I had had said I would pay you a visit as soon as I could.

Now I think I can better grasp your problem on how you got stuck on the head.
There are actually several types of modellers, some are polygon modellers, some are NURB'S/Patch modellers, or possibly Sub-D/Ubber-NURB'S/NURM'S modellers (There are also "Architect modellers... but that’s a whole different category .. A personal joke I make with my wife about the messy meshes some architects tend to bring in and I have to clean up )

Sooo it is very difficult for me to directly tell you on how you SHOULD or should not model your head.

But I can tell you a few things.. one of them is that the given tutorial is one of the most complicated ways to start to model out a head.
Unless of course; you have an exceptional understanding of the human head features. And EVEN if you do... the resulting first mesh will most possibly have a lot of errors in it's placement, demanding you to tweak very carefully.

It also prevents you to have correct edge loops, disabling you to sculpt out a decent nose (hence the reason he keeps having you remodel over and over your new mesh)

But IF you want to work this way... I would advise you to at least try and go for a sort of high-res sculpted sphere in the shape of a head first... so you can snap the curves onto.
I have had done something similar HERE in an earlier thread for a lion statues main

All this said… I really don’t want to get offensive on the matter of the tutorial... It WAS a fantastic way of getting some where in times that the Human head was a great challenge to the everyone… just like 5 years ago the human skin was THE thing, or last couple of years the Displacement/Normal-maps.
Now the head is so much more examined and learned... the tutorials have evolved dramatically since. I WOULD advise you to browse around to find out more about this subject… As it has a serious amount of documentations attached.
(I would strongly recommend for you to visit the link for the Hobbit Guy’s head tutorial that I gave a link to back in my thread)

Also… do NOT demoralise that your head took you over two nights of work… even though NOW I am much more capable, I think my first head had taken up about a week of my time
So just keep up with what you are doing… you ARE getting to places.. and your results rock!

As for the *.jpeg compression… I would definitely offer you to use the “Save for Web” feature that comes in with PhotoShop.
But you may not own Photoshop, as well as maybe you may have an earlier version that doesn’t have “Save for web” or Image Ready.

In this case there are a variety of free compressors out there… I think Irfan-View HAS such a feature embedded. I would advise you to go take a look.
But if all else fails… the BEST compressor is actually within your computer itself… the option to “PrintScreen” your image.

What happens is that in one pixel in an image... there is not only ONE single colour (like the old arcade games) but in fact there are 8 colour informations by default.
So what compressors do is they optimise the image data per pixel to what WOULD give us a good looking image without all the data that we can’t see or differ anyways.

When you PrintScreen, you grab directly from your screen which IS an optimised interpretation of the image (Can you follow?) so just get yur image to match the screen size, and then screen grab it and paste this onto what ever graphic editing software you use.

It most possibly will be under 150K. Especially since you lack too much red tints in your images so far.

Hope some of this has managed to help you out on your problems… and that you may want to make use of the newly extended time.
The best fun in learning new things is the “getting your hands dirty” part

Black

Old 01-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Thanks for coming Black..

I think ill find some time to work on the head now that the deadline is extended and all but im kinda worried about the rest of the body and the riggin it will be to much for me but if i can, ill do the head only k.. ill be fun

I just started with 3d last year in June doing lightining and texturing then this challenge was an excuse to learn modeling but it has become more than that i learn a lot already and still learning.. i been working this last days but nothing impressive ,uptades coming today and tommorrow i promise i spend some time working on the city chamber buildings .. i call this buildings the fill buildings theyr on tge ground of the chamber and the repeat a lot .. it was kinda unsuccesfull so i get back to library interior and update the chair now i got some ideas about the cap and ill do that next .. i need to develop a rock shader for that..

hey man that joke about architect was funny lol... it reminds me that i have to fill the roll of an architec for this challenge kinda of uknow is kinda hard to come up with buildings for the year 2220 aprox.. if u know what i mean i think u know.. but i guess i can come up with that stuff since i did a class on solid edge in college duhh... i got a friend whos is an architect maybe he can hook me up with lightining jobs for building and such does taht pay well ?

thanks for the head and jpg info ill look into it that's it for now im gonna get some lunch..

bye

Last edited by Leotril : 01-13-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #22
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Library Interior Concepts

More Concepts for the interior of the library ..

Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #23
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Modeling: Modeling Seat #2 w.i.p

Progress on the seat.. its starting to look like the sketch .. still not happy with it.. :(

Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #24
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Shading (Textured and lit): Stone Shader .. early tests

I started with the shader last night this is what i got so far.. im using a layered shader node with to high res textures for color connected to a blinn .. using bump map and displacement mapping

Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #25
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Shading (Textured and lit): Stone Shader update..

This is my progress with the shader it need to look kinda shinny .. nickel iron base type.. like an asteroid duh..

Ok i need to move on to more modeling ..I do like criticism so feel free :)

Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #26
mmoir
ya win some ya lose some
portfolio
Mike Moir
Ontario, Canada

Hey Leonidas,

The Chair model is looking cool as is the library area, maybe a few more details there would be good. Keep plugging away with the head modeling , it is a hard thing to do but very satisfying when you make progress.
Keep up the good work and hope you finish.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #27
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

Hey Mike.. I spent some time with the head today and things are looking better but not great .. i think i upload some of the progress tonight or early in the morning .. your scene is looking pretty good il give some comments later k..

Old 01-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #28
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

shader problem

this the shader im developing in maya using layered textures i use a 2d fractal for displacement .. i import the shader to the scene and for some reason the shader does not displace in the Eon scene.. i make this on a new scene the import into Eon scene..
i need to apllied that to a big surface like cylinder with 25 km radius and 30 lenght .. i did try with other surfaces that big and i didn work does not displace ..i see only textures with no reflections even the bump does not work .. everithing works well in the scene i develop the shader but no when i import it.. im using RfM..(renderman for maya)

i did some test in the final scene making another simple shader with lambert i think and 2d fractal also for displacement it does work on some of the objects but not on the cap wich is 25 km radius .. i just get only color of the shader no displacement no bump no reflections.// but in the interior part of the scene works well on the objects.. if i try to resize and object that th shader actualy work it happen again no displacement when i resize it big enought.. hoping to get some help with this .. modeling update coming up im gonna give this shader a rest a move on to other thing otherwise i aint goint to finish.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #29
BlackDidThis
Nobdoy Special, but ALIVE

portfolio
Black
Belgium

Thats a nice network...

But there is something I don't get.
Since all five of the textures are file textures (that you set as an input value for the Layered texture)... why don't you just create ONE texture file and use THAT alone? Instead of having MaYA have to calculate each and every node (not to mention a 2D placement for each and an aditional layeredTexture Node)?

UNLESS you have made a very special arrangement with the place2DTexture node for each file texture (since none of them are 3D projections), I believe you can do your computer a great favour by merging the textures before you import them.
Or, at least convert them to a texture file within MaYA if you don't have an efficient graphic editing program.

That said, the render of your shader looks fantastic... thank you for sharing the network with us.
I am not sure if I would call it "Asteroid" as of yet...
But I can see where it can take you.. I would like to see how you use it in your scene.

Good luck!

Black

Old 01-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #30
Leotril
Frequenter
portfolio
Leonidas J. del Rio
Cartagena, Colombia

@Black.. yes ur right about the shader the 2d placemen is the same on each it need lotsa optimisation ..but i have a litle problem its not working fine on the Eon scene .. the renders its from the scene i develop wich wasnt the Eon scene unfotunatly ... i gotta do more testing with that ill keep u inform k .. hope u hava an idea about fixing the problem im getting

Thx

Thread Closed share thread