Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Vikram K. Mulligan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2006   #31
Shading (Textured and lit): Front textures in place

Here's another view showing the texture and displacement maps for the front part of the ship. Anything that's dark grey still needs maps or shaders.

By the way, a happy New Year to everyone!
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

Old 12 December 2006   #32
i've looked at all the stages youve posted and im very impressed, i know next to nothing about 3d but this contest sure has tweeked my interest. its looking very porfessional, all the little decals and such.

Interestingly the last shot reminds me of a scene from 2010 year we made contact. With the russian ship "liarnoff" /sp?. just the way it is positioned on screen and the tanned olive colour palette...Awesomne work mate.

take care and have a great 2007

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Old 12 December 2006   #33
Looks like your work on the shaders is paying off.

Any ideas on what your aiming for in terms of concept/scene composition?

Old 12 December 2006   #34
Shading (Textured and lit): Fin texture maps done now

I've finished the texture maps for the OTV fin, now. On to the engine section!
Eon animation and still.

Old 12 December 2006   #35
Originally Posted by LightSovereign: i've looked at all the stages youve posted and im very impressed, i know next to nothing about 3d but this contest sure has tweeked my interest. its looking very porfessional, all the little decals and such.

Interestingly the last shot reminds me of a scene from 2010 year we made contact. With the russian ship "liarnoff" /sp?. just the way it is positioned on screen and the tanned olive colour palette...Awesomne work mate.

take care and have a great 2007

Marley

Ah yes, the Leonov (named for Alexi Leonov, the first person to walk in space). I remember it, and I can see some of the similarities to my OTV. I'm more partial to "2001: A Space Odyssey", myself. The design of the Discovery tends to influence my space art.

Thanks for the compliments; glad you like the model!

Old 12 December 2006   #36
Originally Posted by Jedi-Juice: Looks like your work on the shaders is paying off.

Any ideas on what your aiming for in terms of concept/scene composition?

I've got it roughed out in my mind. I'm thinking two shots, each about four second long. The first will show the OTV in the borehole from the front, sliding into the dock sideways, with some action in the windows. The second will show the OTV from the back, with the camera closer to the ship (and the field of view wider); the ship's thrusters will fire briefly to slow its approach to the dock. I might post a draft animation soon. I want to keep all the action slow and serene. There are too many fast-paced sci-fi movies in which spacecraft manoeuvre like fighter jets.

Old 01 January 2007   #37
Shading (Textured and lit): Starting the engine compartment textures

I've started painting the displacement maps for the engine compartment. Here's the work so far.
Eon animation and still.

Old 01 January 2007   #38
Thumbs up Very cool modeling!

I love detail and enjoy the modeling and texturing alot, look forward to more updates!

SEL

Old 01 January 2007   #39
Shading (Textured and lit): OTV textures finally done!

I've finally finished painting all the textures for the OTV. I've got a little more tweaking to do -- a few little details to add, some shaders to assign, and one more shader to write for the blinking running lights -- but the model is looking pretty close to being finished.
Eon animation and still.

Old 01 January 2007   #40
Originally Posted by SEL: I love detail and enjoy the modeling and texturing alot, look forward to more updates!

SEL

Hey, thanks Shaun. I like the way yours is looking, too. Good luck to you in the contest!

Old 01 January 2007   #41
You're back !!!

doing a terrific job a must say .. i like a lot what u do with displacements,, i probably borrow that later when i need more detail not that havent done it before i use procedurals .. i wonder do use UVs to set things up or how do u line up d textures?

later

Old 01 January 2007   #42
Originally Posted by Leotril: You're back !!!

doing a terrific job a must say .. i like a lot what u do with displacements,, i probably borrow that later when i need more detail not that havent done it before i use procedurals .. i wonder do use UVs to set things up or how do u line up d textures?

later

Thanks, LJ. The model mainly consists of subdivision surfaces, and I spent a while setting up the UVs for the texture and displacement maps. I then added a layer of procedural noise on top, which uses the XYZ coordinates of the objects. I find that this tends to hide the texture seams pretty well.

If you're interested in the way I do my displacements, I'm willing to share some of my shaders. I just ask that you credit me if you use them for anything.

Last edited by vmulligan : 01 January 2007 at 08:42 PM.

Old 01 January 2007   #43
Shading (Textured and lit): OTV Running Light Shader

It doesn't look like much in the image, but I've written the shader for the running lights. The shader takes a time value to allow them to blink, and also outputs a glare channel to allow me to add glow in postproduction:

//Running lights shader for the OTV model.

surface
eon_runninglights(
float Ks = 1;
float Kd = 1;
float Ka = 1;
float roughness = .05;
color glasscolor = color(0.2, 0.21, 0.24);
color specularcolor = 1;
color dimincolor = 0.5;
color dimrimcolor = 0;
color flashincolor = 1;
color flashrimcolor = 0.75;
float inputtime = 0;
float timeoffset = 0.132;
float flashfreq = 0.5;
float timeon = 0.1;
float glaremin = 0.25;
float glaremax = 1;
output varying color diff = 0, spec = 0, glare = 0;)
{
normal Nf = faceforward( normalize(N), I );
vector V = - normalize( I );

float timey = inputtime + timeoffset;
color incolor = dimincolor;
color rimcolor = dimrimcolor;
glare = glaremin;
if (mod(timey, 1/flashfreq) < timeon)
{
incolor = flashincolor;
rimcolor = flashrimcolor;
glare = glaremax;
}

color srfcolor = mix(rimcolor,incolor,V.Nf);
glare *= srfcolor;

Oi = Os;
diff = glasscolor*Kd*diffuse(Nf);
spec = specularcolor*Ks*specular(Nf,V,roughness);
Ci = diff + spec + glare;

Ci *= Oi;
}

Last edited by vmulligan : 01 January 2007 at 07:11 AM.

Old 01 January 2007   #44
Shading (Textured and lit): The dock -- shading done, lighting in progress

I've finished the shading on the dock, now, and I'm working on getting it lit in the borehole setting. The idea is that the dock rotates around the borehole wall on a track that I have yet to model. This compensates for the spin of the stone, allowing ships to dock safely.
Eon animation and still.

Old 01 January 2007   #45
The more I look at it, the less I like the sunlight coming in from the borehole entrance. I think I'll position the docks farther into the borehole, and light everything with the bluish artificial lights attached to the dock and other surfaces.

Thread Closed share thread