Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Vikram K. Mulligan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Modeling: First stab at the dock model

Here's a VERY early version of the dock. As I said, it's a bathtub-shaped thing into which the OTV will nestle.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

12 December 2006
Modeling: Displacement shader for the borehole

Hmm... I'm not sure if this is modelling or shading, but I tend to think of displacement shaders as part of the modelling process, since they modify geometry. Here's the displacement shader I plan to use on the inside of the borehole, applied to a NURBS cylinder. An early version of the OTV mesh is also shown. This image shows off the final incarnation of that hexagon mesh shader I was working on earlier. I think I'll go with a hexagonal motif for the Stone technology, and a more pritimitive, blocky look for the 21st-century Earth technology.

Last edited by vmulligan : 12 December 2006 at 05:03 AM.

12 December 2006
I like the OTV. Interesting look going on the chamber.

Waiting to see what you come up with next.

12 December 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): Surface shader for the borehole (lighting NOT final)

Here's the completed surface shader for the borehole. It uses a few noise functions to generate a rock texture and subtle mottling on the hexagonal mesh. I'm kind of proud of the efficiency of this shader. It steals the hexagonal mesh pattern from the displacement shader, rather than recalculating it from scratch, which reduces rendering times.

The lighting isn't anything like the final rendering, and the torus is just there as a temporary object casting a shadow on the wall.
Eon animation and still.

12 December 2006
Modeling: OTV model -- tanks added

I've added fuel tanks and some other little details to the OTV model, now. Modelling tasks remaining:

--A low-poly interior with pilots
--Rear engines
--Thrusters
--The tuberider cargo (replacing one set of tanks)
Eon animation and still.

12 December 2006
Hi Vikram..

Nice Job .. Modeling is going great .. also like the borehole a lot .. lightning .. great stuff

are u planning to incorporate the dock and stuff inside the borehole ??

I' been modeling also im having a hard time modeling a chair .. oh well ill try to do some updating tonight...

Later man

12 December 2006
Its looking cool Vikram- can't wait to see your tuberider and interior!
cheers- Scott

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Leotril: Hi Vikram..
Nice Job .. Modeling is going great .. also like the borehole a lot .. lightning .. great stuff
are u planning to incorporate the dock and stuff inside the borehole ??
Later man

Thanks, LJ. Yup, the dock and so forth will be on tracks running around the borehole wall, so that it can compensate for the spin of the Stone.

Originally Posted by milw: Its looking cool Vikram- can't wait to see your tuberider and interior!
cheers- Scott

Thanks, Scott. More to come soon!

12 December 2006
great work on the displacements. I hear renderman is a beast if it comes to displacement and many polys. But writing your shaders, damn, too much for me.

do i understand it right, are you using maya too? Or is it an other app?

cheers and much fun

12 December 2006
Modeling: OTV model -- thrusters and engines added

I've added thrusters and engines to the OTV model, now. The lighting is not final, of course.
Eon animation and still.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Nothingness: great work on the displacements. I hear renderman is a beast if it comes to displacement and many polys. But writing your shaders, damn, too much for me.
do i understand it right, are you using maya too? Or is it an other app?
cheers and much fun

Yup, Renderman-compliant renderers are usually great at true displacements, which is one of the reasons I really like them. As for shader writing, once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. It's not nearly as complicated as writing Mental Ray shaders. The typical Renderman shader is perhaps twenty to fifty lines of code.

I am using Maya 7.0, with the free Liquid plugin as my Maya-to-Renderman bridge. Right now, I'm using 3Delight (a PRMan clone) for rendering.

12 December 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): OTV model -- hull shader test

I've written a shader for the OTV hull, now. The shader adds random noise to give the hull a grungy appearance, and can accept three textures (diffuse, extra noise, and occlusion maps). I'm still working on painting the diffuse maps; what you see is not final.
Eon animation and still.

12 December 2006
Incidentally, the previous post shows the tuberider stowed on the OTV. The book describes it as being wrapped, which made things much easier for me. I threw together a few low-res polygonal spheres and cubes, then draped some Maya cloth over the shapes.

12 December 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): Tank textures

I haven't had access to a computer with 3D software on it during the holidays, so I've had to make do painting some textures for the past few days. Here's the texture for the OTV tanks. I'll post a picture of these textures applied to the model soon.

12 December 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): Front part of OTV completed; working on the rest

I've finished the texture and displacement maps for the front of the OTV, now. I'm still working on the back.
Eon animation and still.

Thread Closed share thread