Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Steven Pendrous

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #16
cool concept. Waiting for modeling updates.

-thondal-
Lollipop Fish (3D)
The Greedy Fish (3D)

Old 10 October 2006   #17
Pre viz should be interesting, so keep on working;
And i thing you'll have a lot of work with a light

Old 10 October 2006   #18
Hey Steven,

I like your drawing and painting style, great job. One thought , maybe you could suggest more curve of the terrain by putting the buildings on the far right side at an angle. Look forward to see more updates.

Old 10 October 2006   #19
Modeling: Modeling - V1(TIRES)

Hi, Sorry for not posting anything for a while... been a bit busy. Anyway here's my first attempt at a wheel for my 'Personnel Carrier'. I'm quite pleased with the spokes and hub (look how I wanted them to) but might end up changing the treads. I always end up going back over my models at a later date... think it helps not leaving them for a few days and then going back to them.

Hope you like? Please let me know what you think.

Secret Agent Challenge - WIP
EON Challenge - WIP

Old 10 October 2006   #20
Modeling: Modeling - V1(DRIVE GEAR)

As my vehicle is going to be pretty high of the ground (to try and give it that rugged feeling) I've started to work on the under carriage and running gear. I'd still like to add bolts, cables and brake pads etc but I'll probably wait until I've modeled a bit more to see how much is going to be visible on the final model.

Once again please feel free to let me know what you think.

Thanks

EON Challenge - WIP

Old 10 October 2006   #21
Modeling: Modeling - V1(CHASSIS)

Hi again,

This image shows the main part of the vehicle chassis. I've looked at quite a few images of Snowcats and have tried to follow the overall design as closely as possible. They all appear to be based on a similar design which generally seems to be a box section chassis with an engine at the back (surrounded by a walkway and guard rail) and a cab at the front.

When reading the book I had an image of something that was overall quite basic and rugged in appearance, but with hints of technology as if it had been fitted out specifically for use on the 'Stone'. Hopefully I'll be able to get this idea over when I start work on the cab section.

Anyway, please let me know if you think I'm on the right track. Thanks.

Steve

EON Challenge - WIP

Old 10 October 2006   #22
Hi,

'madshooter - thondal - targus - mmoir'

Thanks for your comments guys... I definately think the lighting and camera perspective are going to be two of the most difficault things about this challenge for me. I've never attempted anything like this before so I'm hoping to 'play around' with the lighting and maybe some of the atmosphere shaders in metal ray before I get to that stage. Don't know if anything will be any good yet for what I want, but if I don't try I won't know!

Thanks again!

Steve

EON Challenge - WIP

Old 10 October 2006   #23
Looks like you and I are thinking along the same lines...perhaps a little too closely. Looks like I'm going to have to rework the design on my vehicle a bit, otherwise we'd have too much of a similarity. I guess this was bound to happen with such a popular scene in the book.

Anyway, good work on the modeling.

Old 10 October 2006   #24
Modeling: Modeling - V1(CAB)

Hi,

Here's the latest update of the 'personnel carrier'. I like the idea of it being quite angular and primative in comparison with the clean lines of the Thistledown architecture.

Please let me know what you think?

EON Challenge - WIP

Old 10 October 2006   #25
Oh No!

Jedi-juice

Just had a look at your thread and both our vehicles are VERY similar!!! Send me a PM when you get a chance and we'll try and work something out... if we both change our designs a bit I think we should be able to hide any distinct simularities?

Think we've both been using the same images of the net.... That'll teach me for using 'Google' for reference material!

EON Challenge - WIP

Old 10 October 2006   #26
very quick and detailed work, i like it! Is this cell shading style just for the WIP shots or will be also present in the final entry? Good luck!

Old 10 October 2006   #27
Hi Johnny Master,

Thanks for the nice words about my modelling...I feel like I'm really starting to get into this challenge now!

At the moment I'm just boxing out the main shape of 'personnel carrier' so its still quite quick and rough. I like the idea of keeping it a bit 'boxy' looking (slight 80's style) but I'm still planning to add a lot of extra details with riveted panels, ariels, warning signs, mirrors etc. This detailed bit is where I generally seem to spend the most amount of time as I try to bring my models 'to life' with different textures.

I'm definately going to change the style of rendering when I start UVW mapping and texturing... I've just been planning around with the contour shaders in mental ray and thought I'd use one for some of my WIP.

Should have some more to upload soon so please keep the comments coming... it really does help!

Steve

EON Challenge - WIP

Old 10 October 2006   #28
Sweet style of rendering. I was wondering what you use, but seems it's already been awnsered. But what 3d app do you use? And are the shaders actual mental ray shader? I've never tested those contour shaders before.

The model is comming along nice. Very down to earth and functional.

great work

Old 10 October 2006   #29
yes, your model looks nice... keep it up

Old 10 October 2006   #30
Originally Posted by steven-pendrous: Jedi-juice

Just had a look at your thread and both our vehicles are VERY similar!!! Send me a PM when you get a chance and we'll try and work something out... if we both change our designs a bit I think we should be able to hide any distinct simularities?

Think we've both been using the same images of the net.... That'll teach me for using 'Google' for reference material!

Don't worry about it Steven. Your design looks more like a Snowcat anyway. I didn't want to make my model look too Snowcat-like. I'm trying to give mine more of a military-type look to it. Besides, I only need to replace the rear bar for something else.

Thread Closed share thread