Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Linh Mai

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
thanks a lot Steven! Any news? Actually no, i'm still waiting for the book, i hope the postman will bring it tomorrow, but i already have some stuff in my mind, don't be worry, i don't just fokussing on characters, i can't wait to work on the environment!

10 October 2006
Modeling: perspective views of Milla Face

I have improved the model further, first time one can identify the model as Milla even without skin phototextures. Fine details around the eyes, under the nose etc. are still missing, i'm going to model such details in Zbrush later, this is just the base model.

10 October 2006
your modeling looks very good
can't wait to see more !

10 October 2006
oh i'm sorry, the 2. and the 4. are the same!

@ swed: thanks a lot!

10 October 2006
impressive man ! More! More! More!

10 October 2006
Thumbs up

Linh, you really know what you doing !!!, and thanks for this "making of", i'm really learning a lot with you.

10 October 2006
Hey Linh,

love the texturing and lighting tests.
All i want to ask is if there isn't something wrong with the eyes? It looks like the inner side - the one close to the nose - is to deep! It kinds of makes the eyes look non-spherical.

on the modling part: did you examine the face on the image first, made a drawing with the loops, and than build the model with this skech as guide?

I must say it seems a good way to figure some parts out. I do the skeching part when my loops and topology is messed up and needs redoing. Figuring it out in photoshop is lots easyer and faster.

cheers and good luck

10 October 2006
@ bouboul: thanks! The next update comes in a few days

@ hatamoto:: hey, i'm glad to hear that you could learn something with me! Feel free to post questions, if i'm able tp help i will do.

@ nothingness: yeah you're right, the mentioned eyepart is in fact a little too deep, expert eye

Actually i don't draw anything, i just do that to demonstrate the method. Firstly i examine a lot of pictures to find out which edge loops could match best with the face. During the modeling process i'm watching to a lot of photos, at some times my modeling only base on perspective photos and not on the front-side pics. I don't draw things out, but i always try to imagine lines on the photos, it's easier to get the geometry (in my opinion) when i see the face as several patches, so that the complexity of the face is reduce too a simpler object, that helps me a lot. Here i show you how i see it:

see you later!

Edit: In addition, i think if you are a good drawer or/and a good portrait-artist, it's a lot easier for you to model faces or other organic objects. I think a good method is to rotate the camera around the model and "draw" or sculpt the silhouette and then compare it with the silhouettes of the photos.

Last edited by johnnymaster : 10 October 2006 at 06:27 PM.

10 October 2006
Very interesting technique I am obseving yoour work to learn too

10 October 2006
interesting WIP - that's a good way to see your method of modeling. This head is really looking like Milla, that's a good face expression too.
I'm waiting for next update!

BLOG : Agou's blog

10 October 2006
Wow, each update has your model looking more and more like Milla. Your modelling is so accurate and detailed, I love it. Anyway, keep up the awesome work.

10 October 2006
Modeling: hair creation

i have began to create the hair. I want to make wet hairs, because Milla (or Patricia) will stands in the rain in final scene. Wet hair is very hard to achieve i think. As you can see, there aren't lot of hairs, because this process is very time killing. At this moment, there are over 30 seperately strands. Each one contains 3 - 4 guide hairs, each guide hair must be posed seperately (i'm a control freak ;) ), each strand has a individual setup. I think i could post some hair renders in a few days.

Last edited by johnnymaster : 10 October 2006 at 03:44 AM.

10 October 2006
Hey looking good. Wet hair will look awesome. Are you going to get some rain drops running down her face as well? I'm keeping an eye on this one. Good work.

10 October 2006
Always impressive work Waiting for your hair renders dude

10 October 2006
@ bouboul: thanks man!

@ Tenacious: thanks! Actually, there will be no animation, everthing will be "freezed", due the lack of time. But there will be rain drops on her face!

Last edited by johnnymaster : 10 October 2006 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Closed share thread