Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Linh Mai

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
progress report 1

today there's nothing to see, only a progress report:

as you can see in the previous WIP post, the Milla model is not accurate yet, there are a lot of things to improve, in fact this is the most difficult face i ever worked on, because Milla's face is so clean and flawless, a ugly orc will be much easier

The thing is to create an exact model what looks like Milla EVEN without any shaders and textures, a perfect replica. On the previous milestone the model just look like Milla because there is a phototexture applied to it, but in the final version there will be no phototextures, because i think this method is too cheap, my goal is to recreate a real human with CG, from there such things like phototextures are out of place.

At this moment, the model looks much better than the one on the milestone, i will post the next milestone in the next coming days. In addition i will make Milla a bit older than on the last milestone where she is 21 i think (fith element), my model will look like the current Milla (30).

see you later!

Last edited by johnnymaster : 10 October 2006 at 04:16 PM.

10 October 2006
You shouldnt be so hard on yourself for critiquing It already looks awesome. Keep up the great work Linh, its amazing as is.

10 October 2006
Smile yeaah

hehe Milla will do the trick

10 October 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): HDRI lighting test

after 3 days hard work, here is the next milestone. I have improved the model, it wasn't easy to create a clean mesh but with distinctive details so that everybody can indentify the character as Milla. The poly amount increases from 1092 to 1900 polys. I put a texture into a shader with subsurface scattering, dispersioned reflections and rendered with GI, the face is only illuminted by the HDR-maps. The resuls looks nice, but is far away from finish, i will create fine shape details, pores and small wrinkles with zbrush later.

10 October 2006
hello johnnymaster,
the model looks very nice, maybe the nose is a littel bit too big, but the rest seems to be ok.
when i look at the textured version the texture looks a bit blurry.
keep up you good work .

10 October 2006
Great work on Milla so far, should turn out great. Keen to see more concept!

10 October 2006
Very interesting start ! waiting for your composition, good luck!

10 October 2006
thanks guys!

@ MacAndre: yeah you are right, i have to improve the model further, this is just the basis for the Zbrush sculpting. The texture is truly too blury, the resolution is not very high, but in the final version there will be no phototexture, simply for testing this time.

@ abaddon: concepts will definitely follow, i'm just waiting for the book, furthermore, i'm a very lazy drawer, but this time i'll give me a kick

Last edited by johnnymaster : 10 October 2006 at 12:08 PM.

10 October 2006
nice johnnymaster, greetings from another johnny, this time in Hildesheim

I think that the air-sled is first mentioned in the third chamber, being ridden by Mirsky. Good luck I think you are on a good track ..

10 October 2006
thanks a lot for the info johnny!

10 October 2006
dang! great modelling, she looks really good with the lights and textures I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this one

10 October 2006
...great! In one of the images her skin glows like a pearl .

10 October 2006
Go with Milla

Hey Linh,

Firstly I have to say you´ve pulled off some amazing work in such a short time. The likeness you´ve manages to achieve is amazing. I´m really looking forward to follow your work on this challenge. Your last post with the lighting is breath taking however the shadows on Milla´s face are a bit too soft.

Anyway I really think you should go ahead and use Milla for your final scene as it would give you such a sense of being in a film that it just has to be done.

Secondly you won´t have problems with copyright using somebodys image. This falls under the publicity and privacy rights which are to ensure that an individuals image is not subject to exploitation, degradation or ridicule.

You really should have permission of the person who´s image you are using, but if you are not giving it any commercial use and the person does not feel offended by the subject of your work, there should be no reason to worry.

I pretty sure you´ll create a great image that even Milla Jovovich would feel proud to be in, so keep up you great work and you´ll have nothing to worry.

P.S. more info at: http://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html

10 October 2006
Thumbs up

Hey Yone,

thanks for your great posting, now i'm sure there will no trouble because of the copyright thing.
And yeah, you are right, the shadows are too bright and soft. In fact, those lighting are a lot easier to achieve than a film-like lighting what has a harder, higher contrast look, but i aim at this.
And thanks for your big anticipation in this project!

see you later

Last edited by johnnymaster : 10 October 2006 at 11:42 PM.

10 October 2006
HOLY MOLY linh! SOOOO GOOOD! You are most definitly off to a great start. Your model seems so accurate. I think i should take some pointers and spend more times and effort/care on my models.

Anyway, great job so far. Any news on other parts of your concept? Other then the character.

Thread Closed share thread