Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Michael Crinnion

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Hey Crin,

looking good so far. Maybe i can support with a weird looking overpaint, in fact, it's more a "overline". I'm really not sure if this lines will help you. I sketched some shapes and helplines over your head where i think there are characteristic details everybody of us has, more or less. At this moment your head already looks fine, but it's a bit empty, due the lack of this details. And try to let the wrinkle above the eye overlap the skin a little more, i hope you understand.

please don't be mad at me if this lines are no use to you

10 October 2006
Nice work on the model Crin. Johnny has some pretty good ideas there, worth looking into. Another thing to think about is that after you fix the symmetry you can pull a few polys around so the face isn't exactly symmetrical, it adds a lot of character. The clock is ticking, work fast!

10 October 2006
Agreed, very nice modelling. Looks really good, but this time I won't mention the crease . Just wondering, what program are you using?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it is nothing to worry about now, but the eyes looks kind of bland. Due to this, I am assuming they are simply filler to make the face look complete.

ANYWAY, keep up the awesome work

10 October 2006
Hi Michael,
I made rather extensive crits in flaeticia's thread on pages 8 and 10, I think a lot of them could be useful for your current face model maybe if you give a look there you'll have some ideas for pushing your model forward.

Keep it up!

10 October 2006
johnnymaster : Thanks for spending some time on that to help me. As it happens I was planning on adding wrinkles and what not using displace maps, is this a bad idea? I agree about the eyes though for definate they need mroe overhang. I'll add it in the next session.

soapy : Becoming a regular on my thread I see? Can't say I blame you... I am afterall very awesome, yes. The assymmetry thing kinda ties in to what I just said to Johnny, I was gonna dd this with displace maps. At the moent I'm still basing the model on myself, then once i've got the basic shape I can start moving bits about to make a more unique character. Or at least... that's the plan.*listens to clock ticking*

TheSoracle : Thanks for the kind words. I'm using 3DS Max 8 and yes the eyes are not final, there just filler for now.

mv : Thanks, I noticed your post in Laeticia's thread the other day actully but i've not got round to reading it yet. I will though! Thanks for the help

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

10 October 2006
it's not a bad idea, but if you want a realistic look, i would recommend to use displacement, some small details can't be modeled to a medium poly mesh. At all, displacement and normal maps will improve everything a lot

10 October 2006
Yeah that's what I figured! Thanks! I will be doing the eyes detail in the mesh and a few of the bigger creases but other than that it'll be done with maps. (He says confidently)

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

10 October 2006
Modeling: Character Modelling Update

Ok so I've modelled a body now and the glasses to. I know the body isn't very good but I only plan to use it as somethig on which to model the clothing anyways.

I want to start texturing the head but I'm a bit of a loss as to where to start, i've never textured a human face before, the hair will be short and shaved like my own, I think for this I will use the fur plugin but I don't know if that will be compatible with Maxwell which is the package I plan to use for rendering.

Anyone got any handy hints?

Also does anyone have a good tutorial for detailing a face in Z-Brush? :scream:

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

Last edited by Crin : 10 October 2006 at 04:47 PM.

10 October 2006
Good work Crin, I like teh look of this character a lot. Very fitting and the glasses look great. You may want to do a little more work on the hands since they will show, but otherwise the body will do fine for setting up the next steps. Cheers. Oh btw, which program are you using?

10 October 2006
Hi Soaps, I use 3DS MAX 8. The hands aren't too bad, the detail is about the same as the face. I'd like to detail them in Z-Brush but i'm not too sure where to start. Also clothing might be an issue, I'm still not sure how realistic i'm trying to be with this character, it is based on myself so i have no shortage of reference images, I just don't know if my skills will stretch to uber realistic.

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

11 November 2006
Hi Crin.

forgive me if i missed it, but are you dropping the 'guy sitting at the window scene'?

or are you going to incorprete the 3d model into that scene?

im enjoying watching..

regards,

chris.

11 November 2006
Hi Chris,

Yeah I'm still going with the same concept, I've not had much time free recently so there's been no progress but I plan to update sometime soon, I want to get stuck into some of the architecture.

Thanks for your intrest!

The Journey Begins

My CG Society Portfolio

11 November 2006
and this is for the 3d model section of the comp'?

or is it all parts of the illustration section of the competition?
im just wondering how you would rotate/animate the guy sitting inside a room with a city view outside!!
regards,
chris.

11 November 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread