Eon (3D Scene) Entry: David Schoneveld

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Modeling: patricia version 8

I've really improved her proportions, or at least got them closer to what I'd like. I decided to make her a bit sexier b/c I thought it may not be how she is exactly portrayed in the book, but it is how I'd like her to be portrayed on film, you know the hollywood way. Any how I'll post more full body shots once I get the skin SSS down. Altho the hair doesn't render with the skin in mray sooo, I'll have to do a little comp trickery ;)

www.agentfx.com

10 October 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): patricia version 9 lite/skin tests

ok well I think I got the SSS working finally. Patricia is coming along, this is with placeholder hair, wip. I tried to convert pfx hair to polys but no go, or at least not with this set up, then I did tests with lesser version of poly hair and it killed maya repeatedly so... still working/still an issue with the hair.

www.agentfx.com

10 October 2006
Hey man,

She's coming along really well. I love the exotic look you've given her. I may be wrong, but aren't her breasts positioned a little bit too low?

Good luck man!

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by gringer: I may be wrong, but aren't her breasts positioned a little bit too low?
I hate to have to agree with this since the model is so far along. But would a cosmetic lift be possible? Or maybe she is just encountering the heavy gravity on that Frant planet...

Btw, great work the model is very kool!

10 October 2006
Thanks for the comments guys I did give them a lift, altho in this picture it looks worse than it is when you see her whole body. I like comments on proportions, I'm still tweeking. I've been working on the shaders and the model that goes behind her. I could post some of that, I'm waiting to post more Patricia until I have a significant change from the current version

Comments are always welcome feel free to be hard or say whatever sometimes people are too afraid of offending someone they don't say anything. As long as its constructive tear it appart

www.agentfx.com

11 November 2006
Modeling: the wall

this is the wall that goes behind P. in the concept sketch. The screens will display the earth and other things going on in the stone.

www.agentfx.com

Last edited by destruct007 : 11 November 2006 at 04:20 PM.

11 November 2006
Modeling: Bore hole

Closer to finished modeling the background, this is what will be seen through the door. and maybe on a screen on the wall.

www.agentfx.com

11 November 2006
Wow

WOW, when did u do all that? I am IMPRESSED.

In my opinion the character may be too cartoony for that scene.

Good luck.

11 November 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): patricia version 12 skin & proportions improved

patricia version 12 skin & proportions improved, I've taken the advice of some comments and fixed her chest, altho I just recently figured out why her boobs kept looking wrong, here they are too big. I kept making them bigger and bigger, for many reasons hah, no b/c they kept looking wrong so I referenced a lot of how to draw anime and that helped, so more tweaking to go. She's coming along, I haven't posted in a while b/c I kept thinking I was pixel f**king. But she is further along than all the previous pictures. No hair b/c I got some looks for that but wanted to get her modeled and textured first. This is the first time I've attempted a character of this level so there is a lot of back and forth.

www.agentfx.com

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by simovici: WOW, when did u do all that? I am IMPRESSED.

In my opinion the character may be too cartoony for that scene.

Good luck.

Yeah I want to get away from the cartoonyness. I still want a styalised chacracter, but yeah I'm still working on the proportions, and probably will for another week. It's so hard to get them right.

I wasn't working for the past 2 weeks so I modeled a lot of that then... and I'm on the computer working to the point of it being a tad unhealthy. The modeling isn't THAT great its a ton of duplication, if I color coded all the "duplicate then edit" it wouldn't be that many things.

www.agentfx.com

11 November 2006
looking great. well i'd keep a certain amount of toonyness, nothing wrong with that besides, cuz it simply leaves a mark of your own personal style. better a hell of a toon that a realistic model anyone could have done, but thats just my opinion
as for getting things more realistic:
the key usually are the eyes and the all over proportions. eyes are the strongest focalpoint. the higher the level of details on them, the easier a model looks alive, that can be on level of geometry or on level of texturing including detailed displacements (zbrush works) singlehair lashes, good shaders for pulipls, eyewhite, ingl. refraction and sss.
also, the all over proporsions and amount of realistic proportions help, but in case of stylizing theres a far range between realism and toonyness, in my expirience, good shaders and a good ballance on the level of stylizing a character brings out gret results with lots of personality and a strong style mark of the maker. hope those thoughts motivate you to not completely getin' away from toonystyle
great work on the models, looks like you're a speedmodeller as well keep on rocking mate!

11 November 2006
Modeling: midground Wall

this is the wall that will be directly behind P. I keep thinking the modeling is 95% done then I get an idea and keep doing crap to it, so who knows how done it is. I'm going to spend more time on P now to get the skin shader looking much better. I've also remodeled her whole face, well remodeled in the sense of deleting large portions and duplicating half over.

www.agentfx.com

11 November 2006
Shading (Textured and lit): patricia model version 16 and counting

thanks Angel for those comments very helpful.

So here's a more current version of her, the no hair thing is starting to annoy me so I think that will have to be in the near future.
Her outfit needs to change, I've remodeled it 2 times from scratch now and need to find something that works. Maybe hair first. I keep pushing the skin, I'll show some tests of that as I get closer, I'm doing a lot of hmm this setting higher? lower? No higher.. next setting higher? Lower? not very scientific but I'm figure the skin shader out, slowly.

www.agentfx.com

11 November 2006
starting 80% over on Patrica

Well, I'm sure some of you would dissagree, but I think I'm going to remodel about 80% of her. I think it's that I started off with a tutorial of a picture that I didn't sketch. I learned a lot but, it's not the style of character that I want. I've been fighting it with this model tweaking her endlessly, litterally hours of tweaking. Yes some good progress but, still not the style or look I was going for. So, I'm not going to start from scratch, I saved many versions along the way, I'm going to keep her arms and legs but hips chest face, need to be redone, I'll post some work as I do it. This sucks in the sence that I lost hours of work but I learned so much during that time that it's ok, and the model will be more my style when I'm done.

www.agentfx.com

11 November 2006
Really digging those architectural details. Your Patricia looks good. I'm sorry that you feel you need to change her. Do you plan to make a less stylized/toon look?

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Thread Closed share thread