Eon (3D Scene) Entry: James Kaufeldt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #46
Little late here on this roller-coaster, but all the best of luck to you James....
Certainly looks like you've got some work cut out for yourself here - am particularly keen to see how you tackle 'the ridiculously large city scape' in the distance

cheers!

Chris

Old 10 October 2006   #47
hm, Chris.. you seem quite active in these challenge threads.. does that mean something else than just interest.. maybe........ ?

Old 10 October 2006   #48
Ha! I live in hope, Anders; next time mebbe

I've PMM'ed you with the real reason tho' - so as not to corrupt J's thread

Chris

Old 10 October 2006   #49
madshooter - Yeah, it can be somewhat difficult to grasp at this point. It will hopefully be a bit clearer once I start fleshing things out a bit.

Fellah - That's the general idea, sort of... At any rate, the quality and nature of light is the primary make-or-brake concern here.

Atwooki-woogie - Meh, piece of cake. Distant and ridiculously vast cityscapes are made using the ancient art of chi-ting.

----------------------------------------

'til laters.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 10 October 2006   #50
Looks promising. I like your subtle use of perspective in your shots, I think I remember thinking that when looking at your Spectacular entry.

Old 10 October 2006   #51
I'm late... but it's never late to wish the best to friends...

I've read the first part of the thread... that's already interesting... even if for time reason I don't want to subscribe on too many threads, I can't resist to follow yours... seeya James and don't forget the fun

Old 10 October 2006   #52
really interesting seeing your pre-viz work James. Cool stuff!

Old 10 October 2006   #53
you're still the first swedish in the comp, hope you wont let the little fellah take your place!

Old 10 October 2006   #54
Originally Posted by JamesMK: Greetings, recent visitors... Nice to see lots of familiar faces from days gone by

Anyways, bumped into some domestic issues, so it looks like it will be a few days before I can continue working on this - no problems though.

(Q and) A:

@ Jonesisme - Well, a 3D scene, but since we're required to submit a short animation of it as well, it's definitely a good idea to keep that in mind from day one. It's not something that one should hack together later in an afterthought kind of way - that's asking for trouble. So I'm planning everything as if it was intended for full animation. Personally I think this is by far the best addition to the general CGChallenge rules they've come up with this time around. The very purpose of the 3D medium is animation IMHO, and it used to be a pain trying to settle for that one single angle for a still image in previous challenges - but now we finally have the opportunity to show off various shots and really demonstrate the full scope of the stuff we build. It's just great.

--------------------

Updates postponed until something like the middle of next week.

I am with you on this one James, I also agree this new area for 3D in the challenges is going to allow us to do enough of an animation segment to augment the image where you are actually building real geometry and not cutting corners to get that flat image.

Old 10 October 2006   #55
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Rather abstract geometry tests...

Still mainly rough previs, but more stuff being added slowly as I move ahead.

I don't really expect anyone to be able to make any sense of these renders - I know I don't, but I found the borderline non-figurative nature of these shots kind of interesting, and fun to play around with, so... In the spirit of step-by-step WIPs

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 10 October 2006   #56
nice work James..love the pallete! the last one is tops!

Old 10 October 2006   #57
I loved your work in the last challenge I participated in (spectacular) and it looks like you are off to a great start once again. Looking forward to seeing more. Good luck!

Old 10 October 2006   #58
Ohh..OK, now I understand the concept better. That archway is really beautiful, and it's already a good sense of scale. You may continue like that

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 10 October 2006   #59
Exactly what I mean when I saw the previous sketch... very you mate I like that...

Old 10 October 2006   #60
Interesting....there is some abstract futuristic architechtural bubble really showing there....
Watching with great interest your thoughts James ...

Thread Closed share thread