Eon (3D Scene) Entry: James Kaufeldt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #31
I like the concept sketch Jales ! Good luck

Old 10 October 2006   #32
are you doing an animation or 3d scene?

Old 10 October 2006   #33
Hi jason welcome back

Old 10 October 2006   #34
Hi James, Man its great to see you in this challenge.
All the best Dude

My art blog

Old 10 October 2006   #35
Greetings, recent visitors... Nice to see lots of familiar faces from days gone by

Anyways, bumped into some domestic issues, so it looks like it will be a few days before I can continue working on this - no problems though.

(Q and) A:

@ Jonesisme - Well, a 3D scene, but since we're required to submit a short animation of it as well, it's definitely a good idea to keep that in mind from day one. It's not something that one should hack together later in an afterthought kind of way - that's asking for trouble. So I'm planning everything as if it was intended for full animation. Personally I think this is by far the best addition to the general CGChallenge rules they've come up with this time around. The very purpose of the 3D medium is animation IMHO, and it used to be a pain trying to settle for that one single angle for a still image in previous challenges - but now we finally have the opportunity to show off various shots and really demonstrate the full scope of the stuff we build. It's just great.

--------------------

Updates postponed until something like the middle of next week.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 10 October 2006   #36
Talking

Originally Posted by JamesMK: Well, a 3D scene, but since we're required to submit a short animation of it as well, it's definitely a good idea to keep that in mind from day one. It's not something that one should hack together later in an afterthought kind of way - that's asking for trouble. So I'm planning everything as if it was intended for full animation. Personally I think this is by far the best addition to the general CGChallenge rules they've come up with this time around. The very purpose of the 3D medium is animation IMHO, and it used to be a pain trying to settle for that one single angle for a still image in previous challenges - but now we finally have the opportunity to show off various shots and really demonstrate the full scope of the stuff we build. It's just great.

I completely coincide I love the scene idea! -and I hate the book idea-

Good Luck mate! your work is always excelent!

Old 10 October 2006   #37
Smile

glad to have found you too *subscribes* best of luck mate and have tonsa fun, looking forward to sum kick ass art. hehe, rock em all ol friend

Old 10 October 2006   #38
If they make the movie in the end,,I think you will be hired for drawing building schematics.
This looks so pro man..
I like the blue color used for the backdrop.Have you noticed,lot of people using blue,,me to,,so peculiar

Anyway,,wanna say hi to old challenge mate..

seeya James.

Old 10 October 2006   #39
Hey you! Slow down will ya! You guessed the topic, so you had a head start, heh?
Nice sketch. Expect something cool from you..

CHARACTER DESIGN

Old 10 October 2006   #40
Best luck James ! Glad to see you already know the book - i'm eager to see new fantastic works...

BLOG : Agou's blog

Old 10 October 2006   #41
James for me is too early to tell you if is ok or put some rpecise comment, but I really love your idea and knowing your funky and great style I can immagine the wonderful piece of work that you have in mind (well, mostly I try to immagine it). For this first step and proposition I'm very interessted and I think your starting in a good way. Will follow with lot of interest all next steps !

Just for curiosity, did you will use release 10 for this work ?

Julien

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

Old 10 October 2006   #42
Um... g'day! *waves to old challenge chums*

(Q and) A:

@ AIRz - Hehe, indeed - surely it's the word "blueprint" itself that causes this particular choice of colour

@ Julien - Yep, definitely R10 all the way here.

----------------------------------------------------

Looks like I might be able to start laying out some splines tomorrow night or something, so with a bit of luck I'll get past the 2D state soonish.... Laters!

xenomata

Old 10 October 2006   #43
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: More previs...ing...

After fiddling around a bit with the initial sketch in 3D, I noticed I had to make a few changes.

Current state shows the basic skeleton (lots still missing) of the library, and I'm using a few ancient (really) tricks to eventually increase the perceived depth, such as shrinking structural segments gradually to make perspective lines converge faster than they should and so forth.

In terms of design, I'll try to stay around the initial idea with some kind of futuristic mesoamerican/aztec influence and some neogothic thrown in for good measure.

Technically speaking, once I start with some actual modeling, I'll try to stick to procedural geometry as far as possible to make it easy to adjust the level of detail when going from animation to high-res still render.

xenomata

Old 10 October 2006   #44
Great start dude Rightnow I'm not able to understand exactly the idea, but your pre-visulization images are giving me a rough idea. I like that view from book silo towards Archway, gives a good perpective feeling.

My art blog

Old 10 October 2006   #45
ah yes, some really nice lighting can be made with an interior like that and a cityscape outside! i assume those big holes down the corridors will be windows? maybe you can block some parts of them to create some kind of irregularity.
i will not try to say to much this early on. but i am looking forward to see your next move!

Thread Closed share thread