Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Kai Kostack

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Kai Kostack

Kai Kostack is entered in the "Eon Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Asteroid Interior Concept Sketch

01 January 2007
I don't see many illustrations or renders of the asteroids here, so i'll make one...

I didn't read the book so everthing I know about the asteroid is, that it's 300 kilometers long and 100 kilometers in diameter. Hopefully my vision is not that far from the book and fits into the story.

01 January 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Concept Sketch

The idea is that the asteroid is part of an earlier planetoid, which has been broken apart millions of years ago for whatever reason. The former core segment consists of frozen gases, which are slowly vaporizing in earth orbit through the sun radiation. Earlier the asteroid hasn't had such crystallin structures like on the image, those has been grown over all the time flying through space and passing stars which caused chemical reactions.

01 January 2007
Modeling: Asteroid

That's the concept model from side view.

The brown stripe marks the earlier mantle of the planetoid.

01 January 2007

Let's have a closer look.

For the final animation I plan to give the crystals some kind of faint glow. Artificial light produced by the city inside and guided through the crystals outside like a prism.

01 January 2007

And another one.

01 January 2007
Hey, interesting! I like the way those crystals are spewing out, like some hot plasma or something else rushed out and was suddenly cooled by space. Looks good.

How do you find blender compared to other more mainstream packages?

Cheers

01 January 2007
Thanks.

I worked years with Max and about one year with Maya. They're all nice programs, but also big, platform dependent and of course expensive. And I hated Max for being that unstable. I can't count the crashes I had over all the years. -.-

There are also many good features, like the material editor concept of Max and Maya's paint effects, but I don't need it really bad.

I found Blender two years ago, but it wasn't sufficient enough for my needs at that time. However, I kept an eye on it's development and from the day, when Blender got it's node system and the vector blur node, I was convinced to use Blender.

01 January 2007
Shading (Textured and lit): Asteroid Render

Since in space no turbulences can be because of the vacuum, I made it straight gas jets instead of a gas cloud as in the concept sketch.

01 January 2007
Did you model using sculpt, python, fractal, or what?

01 January 2007
I only used the regular edit functions such as proportional editing of blender. Sculpt was to unstable to use at this time. For the crystals I used the proportional editing together with random falloff and simply pulled them out of the highly subdivided geometry. The little craters scattered all over the asteroid are a mix of displacement and bump maps. For the gases I used the same technique as for this image: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84337

01 January 2007
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Animated Sequence

Just an idea for the animation.

01 January 2007
Final Render: Asteroid Render

For the lens flare I used Blenders external renderer YafRay. All the other passes were rendered with the internal one. I'll post them later decomposed.

01 January 2007
Man I LOVE that Lens flare. Blender just keeps impressing me more and more!

01 January 2007
Post Effects and Compositing: Layers and Passes

I decomposed the image into it's most important layers:

1. Diffuse pass
2. Ambient Occlusion pass
3. Specular pass
4. Volume light layer
5. Volume gas layer
6. Lens flare effect layer

A glow effect has been applied before the lens flare layer.

Thread Closed share thread