CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Illustration)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Send a message via MSN to FractalRene
Eon (Illustration) Entry: Rene Valencia-Arellano

Rene Valencia-Arellano is entered in the "Eon Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final Render...

Last edited by FractalRene : 01-03-2007 at 04:13 AM.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 AM   #2
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Concept Art: So, what`s the idea?

Well... Im a novice in this, but we have to start at some point, right?

Traditionally, the promotional artwork for books or movies always portray the main characters and some images like locations, enemies, etc... to offer the viewer a big picture of the stuff.

Let´s take a look at the story...
An unidentified misterious asteroid appears in earth´s orbit, creating tension in the already stormy political weather between the supreme potencies.

The asteroid appears to be the rest of a high evolution technology culture, an american physics scientific by the name of Patricia Vasquez is taken to the asteroid to try to unsolve the mistery on the last chamber inside the asteroid... a hallway several kilometers long, apparently infinite... bigger than the outside of the asteroid itself.

Further research shows that the asteroid is not an alien work... it was made by humans from the future after a nuclear war. Patricia has to discover how this asteroid is linked to the present.

Now, back to the idea... So, to me, to make a summary in just one frame of the whole story, the best image would be miss Patricia in her futuristic lab trying to figure out what the asteroid really is... this is a clear message, but we still dont "reveal" the whole thing, i want to send the message that this journey is just beginning.

So, in the concept art I draw the main character (it took less than 20 minutes and it shows :( ) in the location, figuring out if she should have floating screens, or a desk which is all screen... at the end i liked the idea of an intelligent map, like a hologram of the rock, reflecting all in her glasses, while she adopts a thinking pose... im still thinking about incluiding some esoterical symbols on the scene, to add drama to the role of Patricia.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 AM   #3
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Line Art / Model: Modeling, Modeling, Modeling...

I noticed the challenge on monday, so there`s no time to waste; I actually think about concepts while I ride on the bus to the office and start modeling during my lunch hour and late at nite.

I divided Patricia into parts because every part needs different amount of detail.

It was Mies van der Rohe who said "God is in the details"... I would say "Thank God for the ZBrush".

These images are raw polygon (from my first session modeling), next step will be to zbrush'em for the details.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Line Art / Model: Modeling, Modeling, Modeling...

Just a test of Patricia`s lens...

Old 12-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Line Art / Model: Some more WIP...

Well, until today I was able to work some more. Some ideas are clearer, this is the modeling stage of the lab where I´ll sit Patricia to study the asteroid. One more analysis table and her chair are still to come to complete the lab geometry, but I felt the need of make this upload.

I added bevels on almost all corners, because the effect of the light is more pleasent and it renders nicer. I`ve notice that when modeling nothing should be as sharp as a knife, not even a knife.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #6
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Line Art / Model: Patricia Preview...

this file didnt upload right...

Last edited by FractalRene : 01-03-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:26 AM   #7
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Well, I went for the cyberpunk/anime look with Miss Vasquez; This is the first preview of the character. The model was built in Maya and then Zbrushed and textured.

For the hair, I took a really easy way I found in here...

A) Make Live the surface that you want to add hair

B) Draw the "root" of your hair do on the surface

C) Now, pressing "C" add the main hairs of your hair do (the C key snaps the new point to the already draw line). These are the keys that will drive your hairdo, draw some of them...

D) Well, now open the Visor window and select the brush of hair that you want to apply; Now select one of the roots for the hair (one of the first lines that you draw) and go to the paint effects menu and then go to "Curve Utilities" and select "Attach Brush to Curves"... A stroke will be created in the scene, attached to the curve you selected.

Now select the curves attached to your root and again go to the Paint Effects menu and under "Curve Utilities" select the "Set Stroke Control Curves", the hair will be created. Repeat this process for the other (or others) root of your hair.

To adjust the length, shape, width and other forces on the hair, select the stroke and go to the attribute editor; under the brush name go to the "Tubes" option and open it, locate the "Behavior" option and open it too, then go to the option named "Forces" there modify first the "Path Follow" and "Curve Follow" to mold the hair, start increasing the values with small numbers... and voila, there you go.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Well, this is the first preview of Patricia. As I want her glasses to reflect the hologram on them, I made a very reflective shader for the surface, this is a test of the hair too.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Line Art / Model: Giving her a hand...

This is the model of Patricia`s hand after texture. Then back in Maya I added the bones after looking for some reference on an anatomy book. I like to work on the hypergraph to make easier the process of selecting the bones to make the poses.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Line Art / Model: All the geometry...

At last, the whole geometry on the same scene. Now I`ll start the texturing and lightning process, and look for some more angles to make the stablishment of the scene. this is a capture from the perspective viewport.

Any comments are welcome.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:52 AM   #11
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Test render...

I wanted to post my first test render. I just added the textures and the hair. My next step will be to adjust the lightning and the composition. The lightning will tell me if I need to adjust any textures.

This is just a simple test.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

I like the reflections on the glasses... but I also think that the glasses distance the viewer from your character somewhat. If you're doing such a character-centric piece, you really want the viewer to associate with and relate to the main character... But sunglasses and mirrorshades keep the us from seeing the eyes (as they say, "the windows to the soul") and make the character come off as distant, unapproachable, and cool (in both meanings of the word.) It makes her feel more like a cyberpunk heroine than Patricia, but that's just my opinion.
But anyhow, the lighting is very cool (again, in both sensed of the word! ) Good luck finish it!

-mike

Old 01-11-2007, 02:13 AM   #13
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Another Test Render...

Well, this is another test render. the hair is different from the last shot and the lightning is improving. I realized that I still have to add some geometry and details like the info that now appears next to the asteroid. Well, I`ll still have to make another test with Patricia without glasses, to establish a connection with the viewer (thanks for the advice walrus!), I needed to make this upload just to feel that Im working...

Old 01-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #14
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: These are my shaders...

A screenshot of the hypershade as it is now...

Last edited by FractalRene : 01-13-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
FractalRene
Veteran
portfolio
Rene Valencia-Arellano
Guatemala, Guatemala

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Lightning setup...

The main source of light is the hologram, for this I used a spotlight with the fog effect activated.

Next, I dragged 4 area lights: one comes from top to the face of Patricia, this is the more intense area light, in the style of the impressionism style; another area light is used on the side as a fill light and one more for the backlight.

I also added an ambient light for the overall.

Thread Closed share thread