Eon (Illustration) Entry: Alexandra Ciolac

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Garry & initial colours for terminal

First colour test for terminal and Garry. Still looks flat, but atmospheric effects, ships and lights are to come.
Terminal: "The surface of the building was coated by a material resembling opalescent milk glass, eith bands of brassy orange metal spaced at seemingly random intervals on the horisontal planes."
I tryed to get that, but... What do you think, people?

Steampunk (Video)
Musi panels: A, B, C

12 December 2006
Hey Sasha,

Nice skin shading on Lanier. I think hes quite faithful to the description in the book. I hope some of the subtleties on the previous head posts will show through in the final image. If not, consider making them more prominent so we can observe the full glory of the detail. I'm guessing the orange and white background isn't the final you're going for? I wonder because it seems a little distracting. And you're probably working on this but some wrinkles in his cloths would be a nice detail. Happy Hollidays!

Last edited by RaresHalmagean : 12 December 2006 at 06:24 PM.

12 December 2006
Hej Rares,

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it a lot.
I am working today on detailing Garry, and later today I will post an update on him with wrinkles in his jumpsuit, handkerchief in his right hand, and more visible details on his head (as you suggested).
And I can see now the terminal white and orange colours don't work. I was trying to stay close to the description of it in the book, but it obviously has to be reconsidered.

Any ideas about possible colouring for the background?

Sasha

12 December 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Garry, 70-80% ready

Here is Garry with some closeup details. I consider him being about 70-80% ready. This is a low quality render, so he will get better shadows. There some small details to be added, and composit to be done. Hands will need some more texturing too.
I used some time on that "archaic handkerchief", but will realy appreciate a second opinion.

Steampunk (Video)

12 December 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Patricia: first skin and hair test

Here is the first Patricia skin and hair test. It looks a bit too cleen now, but details are to come.

Steampunk (Video)

12 December 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Patricia & Garry, Test render

The last update this year - Patricia and Garry finally together in the same scene.
Still a lot to do: add fine detail, get a good render, composit... And backgrounds...
Happy New Year, good people!

Steampunk (Video)

01 January 2007
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Background test

Another background test.

Hope somebody will give me some coments on this, because I am about to give up. I have posted a couple of updates (and I thought I did a good job on them: I got started with mental ray and skin shading, and this is my first ever participation in a chalange and forum like this). But it looks like my work doesn't worth being commented. How I can know it's bad or good - I don't get any feed back?

Steampunk (Video)

01 January 2007
Hallo!

It would be a real pity to give up on this, Musi.
Keep in mind, please, that I don't work in 3d, so I don't know how useful my feedback can be to you, a couple of things come to mind tough.

The first is Patricia's tears, right now one has to look really hard to see them ( I don't know if this is because of the stage of the work you are in, though). I would like to see them more, so that the purpose of the 'old-fashioned handkerchief ' is clear.

I would also like to see some detail (compatible with ship's height) of the Frant world, continental landmasses, for instance...how is the world described (I didn't get to that part of the book yet)? Mostly dry land? Mostly water? Is it said wich color their 'sun' is?All those elements will influence your scene...

01 January 2007
Why would you give up? It's a cool concept, you have a decent skill and a cool idea for the scene. You will feel better if U finish.

I think that you should make Laniers eyebrows less like a Vulcan eyebrows, ie outer edges should be lowered. Also, I think this face would look better if he had lighter hair and if he hada bit of a hair receding problem (move hair line, make it less dense), i think he would look more real, cool whatever. Also, spend some more time on his face textures and details, if you make it.

Oh, and happy new year!

01 January 2007
Thanks for encouragement, Tiziano and Mladen, it meant a lot to me!

Tiziano, I understand it's difficult to comment 3D if you are not familiar with the media - I have the same concerns when I am looking at 2D. But at the end nobody cares if it 3D or 2D, what matters is the quality of work and how it expresses what it intended to express, because people are looking at the image, not at the technique that was used to make it.

Your suggestions about the Frant world gave me some thoughts... I can see now that the background is too busy (I wanted to add some ships too). I was so fascinated by the description of the terminal building and wanted to show it so much, that I forgot about the purpose of the image. What's important here is the emotion shown - and here the tears that now are not really visible. So I am thinking to bring ship and characters closer to the gate, so that it will fill almost the whole background, and work some more on the Frant world detail then on terminal. It will help me to keep background simpler and more consistent, and bring attention to characters instead.

Mladen, you are right about Laniers face - I was looking at it for so long that I failed to see those things! It needs more work, and I am going to do it today after work (brows, hair and textures).

Thanks for comments! It's a great help to me. And sorry for my little fell down yesterday... I just felt so tired and out of ideas...

Happy New Year to you too!

01 January 2007
Hey Musi.

I understand the feeling well, i hit about 3 well constructed brick walls with my piece and nearly gave up. and am gratefull that i have got a piece to show for all the blood sweat and tears that went into it!..

biggest issue was loosing site of what it was meaning to convey..(i was extremely lucky that i had a great dream one night which brought me back on track).

I think you''l be pleasantly satisfied when you are finished...Your piece is original!, most evrybody else has decided to pick a vast landscape, yours' is one the most character driven in the collection, i'd say, (one of two people i can recall off hand anyway).

good luck with finishing

marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

01 January 2007
Thanks Marley for support!

Yeh, dreams like that are rare and one is lucky to have a couple of them in the life time! Your image looks like a very beautiful dream, so sleeping have most definitely helped you .

And I am polishing Garry (posts by Mladen and Tiziano where extremely useful), planing to the end of the week post update on him, hopefully final.

Thanks again for stopping on my thread, good people!
Sasha

01 January 2007
Glad I could be of some help.
Looking forward to seeing your progress!

01 January 2007
I am not going to give any crits or suggestions, I think Thaldir and mladenr gave excellent suggestions.

As the others said, your scene is original and when I read that part of the book I was hoping someone would render it. So I offer encouragement to you and some cheers

01 January 2007
Hi Alexandra... Happy new year...

Here is my advice but it may be too much for this stage of deveporment... Gary looks nice but seems angry... lower the outer part of his eyebrows to make him seem more emotional...

The uniforms look great... I have to agree with Thaldir on the tears... Also, maybe make Patricia reaching for the gate... Might give more emotion to the scene...

Finally, don't give up... Remember you are doing this for you more than anyone else... Keep on it and its gonna pay off...

Have fun,
George

My online portfolio

Thread Closed share thread