CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Illustration)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Concept Designer/Illustrator, Production Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to JeffZugale
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Laying out the Pyramid

Showing how I laid out guides for the pyramid, which is a complicated geometry.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #17
musi
Don't panic...

portfolio
Alexandra (Sasha) Ciolac
Rigger / 3D Generalist
Ghost
Rodovre, DK

Hey Jeff,

Yes, this is the scene just before the one I am doing .

Your work looks SO professional! I admire people that can paint, cose I can't at all - I am using Maya instead of brush and pencil. It looks like you really studied the book, even Patricia's body proportions are there! And the sense of scale that people are struggling with on this challenge - I think you got it just right.

I hope you will find time to finish this, because it already looks good!

Good luck!
Sasha
EON

Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #18
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Only a little progress

Just a bit more work here, cleaning up the pyramid and the roadways some more. Very zoomed-in, detailed work.

I'm not sure if I need to get this nitpicky, maybe this stuff is too small to notice. We'll see...

Old 01-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #19
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Jumping around a bit

Some more tweaks on the pyramid and adding traffic to the roadways. Then I got bored with painting dozens of tiny marks to represent vehicles, and decided to work on foreground stuff.

Sasha, thanks to your comment on Patricia's body style, I realized that she was out of scale with Lanier, she was much too large in comparison! So I scaled her down a bit and started cleaning her up. Thanks! :)

Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #20
didzis
Veteran
Didzis Beitlers
USA

Looking good!!

Awesome composition and angle. Not an easy one to illustrate, but looks like it's gonna be good!! Tnx for the little tutorial. I was wondering how u painted that pyrmaid so well

Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #21
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Details, details

Lots more detail on Patricia and Lanier. Still plenty to do there but this is starting to shape up. Folds and wrinkles are pretty good but on preview I did notice some parts that wrinkle the wrong way, which I will fix.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #22
musi
Don't panic...

portfolio
Alexandra (Sasha) Ciolac
Rigger / 3D Generalist
Ghost
Rodovre, DK

Hey Jeff,

This is looking really great! I like the lighting that's coming from beneath the characters, it gives them that beautiful outline!

Actually, when I mentioned Patricia's body proportions, I meant the descriptions of her from the book:
"...she was small and pretty in a fragile way. Round face, silky dark brown hair, thin wrists, narrow legs, broad hips for her size: an altogether unpractical-looking women..." (page 33)
I thought she had those qualities, honestly, I didn't realise that she was out of scale with Garry! Now I can see she was. I am glad that I could help you, even by accident .

You are not going to make any traction lines, that they are holding to? I am just curious, because the ship itself for me is a big problem - I can't find ways to show it!

Sasha
EON

Old 01-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #23
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Hi Sasha, yes I'll be putting in the traction lines and fields but I'll probably do that last or at least much later on in the process. If you look at the character below and to the right of Patricia, you can see the hand in a sort of grasping pose. That line will probably extend up to Olmy, who is the person at top right (he's sitting in lotus position, I'm not sure which way I'm going to rotate him. Also, there will be a line going thru Lanier's left hand which is partly hidden behind him. I'll likely have the Frant at top left holding the same line, as well as the person directly above Lanier.

Re Patricia, thanks again! I have read the entire book and took a lot of notes so I am trying to be faithful to the descriptions of everything. One thing I'm totally ignoring for this image though - note that the sunlight is coming from the right side of the image, like a low sun nearing sunset. Of course, this is impossible inside the Way, as the plasma tube light is always up top!!

However, from this angle that would make the lighting kind of boring and remove an effective way of showing details on the landscape - for instance, looking at the moon thru a telescope during a full moon is boring compared to looking at a 3/4 moon or half moon, where the shadows show all the mountains and craters very clearly! So, I'm cheating. I guess we can imagine that the disc ships have flown down thru a local cloudy overcast, and the "sunlight" is coming in from the right after reflecting off the inner surface of the Way over there... Plus I'm keeping the contrast generally lower for the distant ground so as to bring out the foreground, and to try keep your eye bouncing back and forth from the characters to the pyramid.

I have pretty much this whole weekend to myself for a change, so I'm determined to make massive progress on this by end of Sunday. There should be lots of updates!!

Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
chenzan
Frequenter

portfolio
Kevin Chin
Production Illustrator
Los Angeles, USA

whatsup jeff, i think you still need to turn that guy in the upper right so that his long appendage points towards the focal point. And maybe bring im to the front because it seems everything is very middleground/background right now, nothing strongly leading viewer in. Thats a minor personal thing though.

Are you going to adding a secondary back lit lightsource? I think may give it an extra kick. Like maybe an artifical light since you've got the natural lighting already.

keep it goin, bring it home!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #25
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Sigh

Well, my weekend turned out to be more full of non-painting stuff than I had planned. Ain't that always the way? Sigh.

Well, I did get a lot done on the rest of the characters. Kev, I agreed with you about Olmy, so I rotated him and scaled him down just a bit; I think he looks a lot better now.

I'm thinking that for the characters at top and bottom, including Olmy, should have shadow thrown across them by the ship structure that's visible at right. I'll have to try that out and see.

I think next I'll concentrate on the disc ships for a while. Maybe I'll come back to the characters, but this may be as far as I go on them. Depends on how much paint time I get from here on out!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #26
Ivy00
working on it...

portfolio
Linda Smith
na
United States

hey Jeff this is looking great, and I can imagine it is a difficult angle to try to illustrate. No crits , just compliments and cheering you on

Old 01-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #27
nwiz25
mouseman

portfolio
neville dsouza
game artist
Reliance Games pvt.ltd
Pune, India

Send a message via Yahoo to nwiz25
Thumbs up

man! i agree with Linda! even after reading ur entire description .. i myself wudnt've been able to illustrate it properly

this in a way is one huge challenge for u! my respects and cheer that u trying real hard for this!

hoping for the best for u dude! god bless ya!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #28
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: On to the ships

I'm pretty happy with the characters at the moment, so I've hidden them; on to the disc ships. I didn't have much time to work tonight but I did some setup and cleanup - made some guides in Illustrator again, and evened out the gaps in the ship hull.

I'm going to use Painter's "Papers" to create some kind of interesting texture for the ship bodies. I don't really want to do the usual "spaceship greeble" type stuff, so I'm going to play around a bit.

Thanks Ivy, Nev! I'm having fun with this even tho it's keeping me up late nights, heh. Just lots of detailing to do from here on out, really, so plenty of mindless tedium to keep me entertained... ;)

Last edited by JeffZugale : 01-23-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #29
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: today's progress

So, I tried the Papers thing, but didn't like any of the results, so I went to Illustrator and laid out the random curved lines, then imported them into Painter using the "File>Acquire..." command.

Then I used something that I learned from Dan Milligan's Gnomon Live presentation to paint the lines. When using Painter's Brush tools, you can have them "lock to shapes" by clicking a little button in the control bar at top, so if you have a vector shape, like the Rectangle and Oval tools in the toolbox, you can make the brush trace along the path. It's kinda like using the old plastic templates or sweeps, really awesome.

So with the imported Illustrator paths, I just ran one of my fine brushes along those paths and voila, nice clean lines.

Sure beats trying to paint them by hand...

It seems like this is going slow to me, but I'm actually doing pretty well considering I'm only working an hour or two every night... heh

Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #30
JeffZugale
Frequenter

portfolio
Jeff Zugale
Los Angeles, USA

Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Gettin kinda busy

Now that I've put the detail to the disc ship and added its passengers, things are starting to look a little hectic, huh? The new disc ship covering the pyramid is the one I'm setting up to duplicate a few dozen times to make all the disc ships in the image. It's going to replace the one to lower left, and then all of its copies will be smaller, further away. I'm going to try to rotate each of them to a different angle so they don't just look like total clones - that means I'll have to repaint the lighting on them of course. However I'm going to cheat with the center dome, and just duplicate it and rotate it so the highlight faces rightwards, hehehe.

And of course, in true artist fashion, I was working on the large disc ship details with the character layers turned off... and yes, you guessed it, a bunch of the details I spent an hour on are completely obscured by the characters, meaning I wasted my time working on them. DOHHH!!!

As far as the image getting busy, it's starting to interfere with the contrast of our main characters and draw the eye away from them. There's a number of things I can do to compensate, but I think I'll wait until after I've added the purple glow of the traction field lines, which will add a completely different set of lights to the foreground characters. The fields on the other ships will be very faint in the distance so that should make up the difference and bring the characters forward again.

I haven't reached a point where I hate this image yet - which I think is a good sign, considering I'm about 80% done! Usually I hate my piece from about 33% to about 70%, haha! So I guess I'm doing all right! :)

Thread Closed share thread