Eon (Illustration) Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #46
nice sketches Walrus!!!
Kind a prefer The "C" and "G" for their regards.
Though they got a little asian, Peru feeling in the anatomy of their faces.
Maybe N° 6 with a more small nose like thumb "A"(like that one too) could give a more latin feeling.
D,E and F seems a bit more like teeners to me.

Looking forward fot the suite!!!

Old 10 October 2006   #47
Cool

c top fav, sweet innocent, dreamy, fragile, still kitty.

followed by f, a little less perky but very sweet as well.

thought i like the pointy nose of a a lot. the pointy nose makes her looks "smart" somehow ^^

keep up the great work mate I always enjoy your development, now looking forward to your next episode ^^

Old 10 October 2006   #48
hehe ... yep ... .. C n D look really sweet ... d is more like .. she's pondering over smthin ..

very good variation in expressions!

btw .. for a majority vote thing ... C seems to be more promising!

good luck dude!

Old 10 October 2006   #49
Concept Art: More character sketches

Well, folks seem to like version 'C' up above... well, so do I! In fact, before I read half these notes, I was already throwing together some of my favorites, all of which Okmer pointed out. (Thanks, Remko!) So here's a version of her headf with the bones of 'C', some fo the more Latina features of 'G', and a small, slightly pointy nose.

I'm trying to throw it all together into a layout including the Frant and Olmy too. I know it's not working yet, mostly they're 3 seperate sketches not drawn together (well, four if you could Patricia's body.) I still need to make them all work together better, but if you have any feedback on how to make that happen, as always, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #50
Hi Mike.

Looking really nice I think. The Frant is really cool!
This is the most correct (from the description of the book) version I have seen so far.

Personally I would consider covering up the actual shoulder because it gets really difficult to make the anatomy look sort of right on a figure like this.
Much like when people try to put more than two arms on a character (seldom look good if the character is naked).

The characters are all great! But dos not seem to be standing/sitting on the same level here.
Is this inside the ship by the way?

Keep it comming

Old 10 October 2006   #51
I sure do hope you do an awesome job on this one like the "farewell Kiss" because the last one was a very special treat for me. I have studied it alot and must say congratulations on a most excellent job! Praticia is looking good in the last sketch and the frat is cool-funny looking! Can't wait to see what you will produce this time man!

Old 10 October 2006   #52
Hey mike!

Glad to see you up and running here... I was starting to get worried! Even before I looked at the last page, I'd decided that C and G were the best of the lot and you must have pre-read my mind....
I love the alien with the tiny square head. That's the best part so far imho, lol. It's hilarious! Right now when I'm looking at the sketch I'm trying to figure out what they're talking about- I hope you're going to give clues, as it's looking kinda vague that way. But, hey, early days yet and your hands are mightily capable, so I guess I can trust in them.

*settles down in the couch in the corner to watch the ensuing artistic angst* Nice place you've got here by the way...

Old 10 October 2006   #53
Heya walrus - I'm mostly a lurker, because really I've nothing useful to say, and I learn a lot from reading -- but I've been lurking around your stuff for quite awhile and I just wanted to pop in and give a show of support and express my interest in watching you create yet another beautiful inspiring piece.

I'm so out of my league trying to do this as well, but it's fun anyway!

-L.H.

Portfolio

Old 10 October 2006   #54
Thumbs up

Hey Walrus ! Excellent I like patricia and the Frant. Nice work as usual
Waiting for your next one dude

Old 10 October 2006   #55
Looking good

Okay so far I'm interested. No I haven't read the story yet. (Thinks a few seconds) No point making excuses i just haven't.

You've got the character's more or less flseshed out. Looking forward to seeing where you go next.

Old 10 October 2006   #56
This frant is great!

Old 10 October 2006   #57
I'm re-reading the book, deciding if I have time to make an entry. But reading the threads, enjoying watching others working on the same problem I am.

Of the threads, I'm moved to make my first comment in yours. Your drawings are wonderful, glad to see another fan of non-photo blue Prismacolors. Will your entry be hand-drawn? If I enter, mine will.

With your most recent character sketches for Patricia--you nailed her with F. Perfect. The rest--the composition thumbs, the aliens, really good work, really good process.

Old 10 October 2006   #58
Concept Art: characters in a layout?

Here's another redrawing of the charactes - hopefully they're starting to fit together more? Things are still somewhat sketchy here and there but certain parts get "frozen" as they become approved, like Patricia's face for example, cut and pasted from the earlier "approved" version.

I really would like to hear what people think about these layouts and how (or whether) you think the characters fit in there. What I'm trying to show is the scene where Patricia is in Olmy and the Frant's ship and they first arrive at the massive Axis City. That's why the city is so large in the composition, and why I've cheated the window so large, even though it's described as a smaller ship. I'd really like to hear from people whether they work, which ones you like, and advice for making it work better.

I have a bad habit of separating characters from background to the point that they don't really work together. I fear I've done it again here: The characters are in a ship so they have no relation to what's behind them (aside from the ship dashboard.) But I really wanted to show both the human element (Patricia, Olmy) and also the scale of the Way and Nader City. Tough things to reconcile. Should I make the characters smaller? Should I kill the foreground, or the background? Or should I just toss it all and come up with a new layout? Help!

On to comments, briefly:
Per - Thanks for the notes! Hope the characters are sitting a little better now, what do you think?

conkrys - Thanks!

Theresa - Really glad to see you back! The alien is a Frant, described as having a thin head like a board. Guess he's got skinny brains!

Runecaster - thanks for the support! Hope you have fun too.

Ernest - thanks for the first comment! Yep, love that blue prisma-color. I use the darker one, not the non-photo-blue, but it lightens when i scan it in. I will definitely hand-draw the characters before I color them. I haven't decided about the background yet.

See you all later, and please leave your thoughts on the laoyouts and whther any of this works, I'm so unsure...

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #59
I think "g" the best.........she has the awe-look standing before and outstanding and piece of artifact of mega scale.

Great work walrus...

Old 10 October 2006   #60
Hard to tell because of the mediums you are using and the layouts are almost similar but I still think that 12 is visually pleasing so far,. Try to a do a black and white sketch or an all greyscale for the sake of getting the composition right. I think will help me get a better read. I usually see better that way. I hope I am not asking to much of ya. Still waiting to see how u will handle this subject!

Thread Closed share thread