Eon (Illustration) Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #16
Hi, all! Thanks for the comments!

cocoknight - yes, in fact I almost didn't join this challenge because it was going to be too different from my usual stuff. Not that I'm not up to the Challnege, just that my main focus lately has been filling my portfolio with similar pieces to make it more consistent. That's one reason i joined many recent Challenges: It gave me the opportunity to do more art to increase my portfolio. I suspect that if I do something really fitting for this one, it won't quite fit my humorous art portfolio. But what the heck, I'll do it anyhow. All my friends are here.
And I suspect that even in a different style, folks will still be able to recognize it as mine.

Michael - don't worry, there's a bit longer than usual for this Challenge, and you work fast. You'll have plenty of time. As for the thumbs, yes, I like #9 a lot too. I'm not hooked up to a scanner today but I did a version of it with the characters even smaller, which helps to emphasize the massiveness of Axis City. I like it. I have a tendency to always want to make the characters really large. I managed to get away from that last Challenge, but here I find myself doing it again, thinking that the characters are so important that they must be really alrge in the composition. They are important, but people will notice them and be able to read them even if they're not taking up the entire page.

I'm on a business trip right now and have had lots of time in transit to sketch, but it'll be a couple of days 'til I'm back at a flatbed scanner again, so no updates 'til them. Oh, well!

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #17
Well Walrus, hope you have a nice trip and can't wait till you get back and see the sketches you have made during your traveling!!!
Big up Walrus!

Old 10 October 2006   #18
Good luck man! I wait for great work again

Old 10 October 2006   #19
hiho mr dashow

cool that you joined ..im curious how you'll approach this one. the sketches look promising so far

Sketchbook

Old 10 October 2006   #20
Hi Michael!

Its some time I've been admiring your style. Your performance in "The Journey Begins" Challenge was a pure State-of-the-Art artistic experience.

We met earlier in the year with two consecutive Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine covers - April and May 2006 issues -. It's now a pleasure to meet you again in an amazing contest full of unlimited spaces and temporal distortions... a top environment for two fantastic artists!

Enjoy your ride and see you in the Arena! MM

Old 10 October 2006   #21
Concept Art: Ser Olmy has no nose - how does he smell?

Hey, all. Here are some doodles of Ser Olmy. He has no nose... how does he smell? (answer - terrible!)

(If you're not a native speaker of English and the above makes no sense, consider yourself lucky! :) )

anyhow, I'm not totally happy with any of them yet. I like the design, but am not sure about the personality. I kind of like the center one: He reinds me of a cheerful Scott Bakula (The Enterprise Captain from the last Star Trek franchise.) I think what I need to do is figure out what actor I would think of as playing Olmy. I can't decide... maybe a younder Ed Harris? Who do you see in the role?

Maurizio - Good to see you here! Is this your first Challenge? They're a lot of fun, glad you'll be taking part in it. I'll definitely drop by your thread and post in it!

Tibor and Adrian - good to see you back again. I'll be looking forward to seeing your work as well.

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #22
Concept Art: but wait, there's more!

And here's another page, mostly full of Frant sketches. Plus a lot of miscellany: My favorite sketches of Patricia so far, Axis City detail, and some outfits for Olmy (I've got pages of 'em, but they're all simple, undetailed costume doodles like these.)

The thumbnail at the top is the one I mentioned earlier, a reworking of thumbnail #9 earlier, only with even smaller characters. I've had to change the bridge of Olmy's craft in which he takes Patricia away: I ge tthe feeling in the book that it's not all that large, but I wanted a big window to show the city through. Blame it on artistic liscense!

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #23
Concept Art: more layout thumb refinements

Spent some time tonight refining my favorite thumbnail layout so far. I've put Olmy ina seat and am trying to make it seem more like a ship's bridge and less like an observation deck. I could add a top to the viewscreen, but that would close off the city too much and I'd like to keep it feeling huge. Any thoughts on these?

Sorry they're so pixelly. I worked over the last JPGs I posted, not the PSDs, so I was working at about 200 pixels wide. i like really small thumbnails - it keeps you from getting too detailed and makes you focus on composition and value more - but this is a bit small even for me!

Old 10 October 2006   #24
Cool

wheeee the Walrus we love is in ^^ just came to subscribe and wish you good luck. love your toonstyle and its a great add to this challenge. good to see ya round.

great character sketches, hehe, and love the thumbnails, instant cinematic feel ^^

godspeed and goodluck, and of course hav fun, go flight!

Old 10 October 2006   #25
I like those patricia sketches! Those Aliens are hip to. I am so lame I bet those aliens have a name... sigh. Waiting to see more sketches dude!

Old 10 October 2006   #26
Originally Posted by walrus:
Maurizio - Good to see you here! Is this your first Challenge? They're a lot of fun, glad you'll be taking part in it. I'll definitely drop by your thread and post in it!

Yep! First Challenge, first dive!

Best, MM

Old 10 October 2006   #27
Good First Concepts

However you might want to play catchup with Nilesh,Nemko,Nathaniel And Prabath as
their Axis City designs and detail are very well advanced at this early stage.

Old 10 October 2006   #28
brrrhmmm - We've got three months left, I'm not too worried about it.
It's not like a race where the first person to finish is the winner. When I work on a painting, I find it more helpful to have a goot layout first before you even worry about the details.

Bryce - the aliens are the Frants... 'though it doesn't even matter if you know their names as long as they loog good.

Dunno how much work I'll get done this weekend. I need to start work on my Halloween costume! Maybe a sketch here or there. In the meantime, anyone have any thoughts about 11 versus 12?

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #29
I think i like no.1. It has the tube running one direction, and a character looking at the oposite direction. It creates some dynamic in the compostion. Glad you included that into your thumbnail study.

I like your concept sketches....

im subscribing fer sure...

Old 10 October 2006   #30
Yop,yop you're back and indeed, you did a lot of doodling mate!!ha,ha, love those frant's and Patricia in the left lower corner ,she's great!!!
Looking forward of how'll you put this all together!!
Good luck and all the fun Walrus, love your work!

Thread Closed share thread