CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Illustration)
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #61
bearfoot
Lord of the posts

portfolio
neil maccormack
Freelance 3d Artist
bearfootfilms
Geneva, Switzerland

Send a message via MSN to bearfoot

thanks bill thats a big help

http://www.bearfootfilms.com

VFX Workshop Tutorials

http://vfxworkshops.com/neil-maccormack/

Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #62
Nomad
rendering...

portfolio
Maciej Frolow
illustrator
France

Question

Let me know if I understand the whole thing well... In my mind this is how looks the four Axis cities... but I have nowhere any description of the whole cities together.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #63
BC1967
Know-it-All

portfolio
Bill Carr
animator/concept designer/illustrator
Spitz, Inc.
Philadelphia, USA

nomad>

You've got the shape right for three of them. Axis Nader, Axis Thoreau and Axis Euclid are clylinders. Central City is a cube with a stepped pyramid on each face, like a Mayan pyramid. Each step is slightly rotated.
All the parts together make up Axis city. Each section is strung on the singularity like beads on a string.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #64
Nomad
rendering...

portfolio
Maciej Frolow
illustrator
France

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1967
nomad>

You've got the shape right for three of them. Axis Nader, Axis Thoreau and Axis Euclid are clylinders. Central City is a cube with a stepped pyramid on each face, like a Mayan pyramid. Each step is slightly rotated.
All the parts together make up Axis city. Each section is strung on the singularity like beads on a string.

Ah yes I remeber now... I have to re-read the description on the book. Thanks!

Did you read a description somewhere if there is buildings from each side of the three cylinders?
I suppose yes, thats seems logical but don`t know how works gravity on the outside of the cylinder

Old 10-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #65
chrismoose
Stuck in Kilkenny ;)

christian paterson
Ireland

Beal

hi.

you mentioned in a previous post (below) about the ground level train tunnel system; i have to ask, are these in the book? as i dont have the book and am going from the exerpts given to us. Are these descriptions as written in the book or are they from your own interpretation?

though i have a totally different idea(not inside the stone), a great scene popped into my head, but i wouldnt want to 'take' your interpretation from you! incase you had that scene in mind. -though saying that, 1 scene could be interpretated in many different ways....

Even though i PM'ed you, so you would actually see this message, i'm going to copy this into the book discussion thread aswell, so others can see your answer aswell.

cheers.

chris.

Below is your previous txt..from page 1...

"Entry to the Stone is done through the first chamber bore hole (which opens directly to space) via a 'rotating dock'. Moving from chamber to chamber within the stone is done either through the bore holes in each cap - or through tunnels around the cap located at 'ground level' and designated by large arches. There are many of said tunnels to drive through, and also trains which run the length of the stone through them. As well, there are also 4 equally spaced elevators around each cap which take you from ground level to the axis. The elevators twist around the face of the cap slightly (in the opposite direction the stone turns) so that they cancel out the spin of the Stone by the time their occupants reach the axis. "

Old 10-27-2006, 02:46 AM   #66
webwings
Frequenter

portfolio
Jennifer Phillips
Teacher, Poet, Webmaster, Artist, writer, preacher, Publisher....
Mount Nathan, Australia

reading

my book arrived yesterday!!

Thanks for the can idea.....have to fix my lighting from the top now!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #67
Nazirull
Emillien...

portfolio
Nazirull Safry Paijo
Illustrator
Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Back cover synopsis continues....

The 21st century was on the brink of nuclear confrontation when the 300 kilometer-long stone flashed out of nothingness and into Earth's orbit. NASA, NATO, and the UN sent explorers to the asteroid’s surface… and discovered marvels and mysteries to drive researchers mad.

For the Stone from space but perhaps not our space; it came from the future - but perhaps not our future; and within the hollowed asteroid was Thistledown. The remains of a vanished civilization. A human - English, Russian and Chinese- speaking - civilization. Seven vast chambers containing forests, lakes, rivers, hanging cities…

And museums describing the Death; the catastrophic war that was about to occur; the horror and the long winter that would follow. But while scientists and politicians bickered about how to use the information to stop the death, the stone yielded a secret that made even Earth’s survival pale into insignificance…

Continues on the 1st page....

The seventh chamber of Thistledown was larger than the Stone. It didn't end it went forever, an infinite lanscaped Way constructed from the mathematical fabric of space/time. A hollow singularity that sliced across centuries and galaxies, and into another universe.

For Pavel Mirsky, the Way held a dream of endless exploration among the stars.

For Garry Lanier and Judith Hoffman, Thistledown held a treasure of life: the means to stall the Death, or failing that, to rebuild a shattered world.

For Patricia Vasquez, the Stone held a promise of salvation; the geometric path to a peaceful parallel Earth, and to her doomed loved ones.

None of the explorers knew that the Stone held one more secret.

Thistledown was abandoned...

But the Way wa inhabited.

And another war, fought with weapons of utterly unimaginable horror, was only a million miles away.

I hope this helps to those who arent planning to buy the book. I found one last copy at one of the stores in my town. Ive searched everywhere. I dont want to wait weeks for it to be delivered. The chances of missing the dateline will increase for a procrastinator like me.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #68
Nazirull
Emillien...

portfolio
Nazirull Safry Paijo
Illustrator
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Some classic covers...

Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #69
webwings
Frequenter

portfolio
Jennifer Phillips
Teacher, Poet, Webmaster, Artist, writer, preacher, Publisher....
Mount Nathan, Australia

fast

I ordered the book through amazon....they have some for 1cent!!! I bought one for $1 + $9 postage.... It only took 4 days from America to Australia....

Old 10-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #70
Anatomista
Frequenter

portfolio
Hugo Araujo
Illustrator
Brasilia, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to Anatomista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazirull
Some classic covers...

Cool! I was seeking for some covers, thank you.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #71
aurora
Riding the LWave

Tim Dunn
Software Eng/Freelance Graphics
USA

Quote:
Actually, the stone in Eon, is Ceres....the biggest asteroid. I found it out here

The book actually says that the asteroid they built Thistledown and the Way in is Juno. But Juno sure does not actually match the description.
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/asteroid-03i.html

Old 11-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #72
Grin3d
Know-it-All

portfolio
Roman Bernhard Eppstein
Junior Project Manager
OFF Consult AG
Wald, Switzerland

ÄON - Cover of the German first edition published by 'Heyne Verlag' (1988); Illustration by Jim Burns.

"When there's no more room in HELL the dead will walk the EARTH" [Dawn of the Dead]

Old 11-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #73
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

Don't be misled by that last image, though: Jim Burns painted it in '84 for Imagine Magazine, not for 'Eon.' It obviously was reused as a cover image, but it doesn't represent the story at all. Two years later, Burns got to do an actual picture for Eon: That's the bottom one in Nazirull's post.

-mike

Old 11-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #74
Nazirull
Emillien...

portfolio
Nazirull Safry Paijo
Illustrator
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thanks for the info Dashow!

I think in this challenge, im spending half the time already trying to digest the book. I wont submit unless i can finish and understand the book. I wanna do justice to it.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #75
JHarford
Realist

portfolio
Joseph Harford
Freelancer
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to JHarford

Thanks for this thread guys
Some interesting NASA images from the 70s

reply share thread