EON - The Book!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2006   #46
sorry to ask this. but can anyone explain the Axis city abit for me.?? according to what says here . I need this place for my work and didnt get anything from it...(was a bit hard for me to understand :shrug
Thanks so much.

Old 10 October 2006   #47
I Would have liked to be of help, but reading through the excerpt left me utterly confused, I can't visualize it either, sorry :(.

Old 10 October 2006   #48
I don't know, but I think everybody is getting way to focused on the details of certain characters and places from the book and not going through some analysis of the concepts that surround this great scenarios and the people in them, I believe that putting some thought to that can really improve the overall look of the illustration, making it stronger... just a thought.

Old 10 October 2006   #49
I could agree, if not for the fact that not a few of us, for different reasons, can rely only on the excerpts presented in the 'inspiration' section, and to get an inkling of the broader concepts we must first understand *those* as they were meant...

No offence intended, of course.

Old 10 October 2006   #50
Hi there, thanks for this thread to clear things up for people, as the concept is really not too easy to understand...

I've read through all posts and afaik there's something that hasn't been said yet about the singularity, 7th chamber and corridor (and someone's said something wrong) AFAIK so I wanted to clarify:

OK, so afaik the 7th chamber is your average chamber with nothing much special besides that it appears to go on forever which it does not. Instead after travelling the distance of your average chambers' 30km, you then are no longer in the 7th chamber but in the corridor. And this is the point where the singularity starts (or ends).
The discription of the singularity is quiet unspectacular: just some cylinder appearing to be made out of quicksilver.

(I'm not through the book yet btw, correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited by coCoKNIght : 10 October 2006 at 05:14 PM.

Old 10 October 2006   #51
Originally Posted by CG Alx: I don't know, but I think everybody is getting way to focused on the details of certain characters and places from the book and not going through some analysis of the concepts that surround this great scenarios and the people in them, I believe that putting some thought to that can really improve the overall look of the illustration, making it stronger... just a thought.

im agree..but as long as its difficult for us to read it all and get a general idea and think about that...most of us just rely on a specific part that we do some search on it and then start a concept according to that part.its the main problem for most of us...

Old 10 October 2006   #52
Th Flaw

Hi,

I have a question: Is there a Flaw (or something like a chamber entrace tube) for each Chamber? Actually, I want to understand the entrace to the First Chamber?
Thank you!

Regards.

Old 10 October 2006   #53
Originally Posted by Anatomista: Hi,

I have a question: Is there a Flaw (or something like a chamber entrace tube) for each Chamber? Actually, I want to understand the entrace to the First Chamber?
Thank you!

Regards.

As far as I understand it, the Flaw (singularity) is only present in the 7th chamber - all the chambers have bore hole along through which the plasma tube runs and also a large circular caps at either end of the each chamber. The first chamber bore hole has a docking section onto the vacuum of space, which is actually three rotating rings each with a circular docking facillity. I think there are also circular 'elevators' here to the chamber floor. The other end of the chamber has a cap and the plasma tube runs the length of the chamber.

Old 10 October 2006   #54
Originally Posted by Subha: As far as I understand it, the Flaw (singularity) is only present in the 7th chamber - all the chambers have bore hole along through which the plasma tube runs and also a large circular caps at either end of the each chamber. The first chamber bore hole has a docking section onto the vacuum of space, which is actually three rotating rings each with a circular docking facillity. I think there are also circular 'elevators' here to the chamber floor. The other end of the chamber has a cap and the plasma tube runs the length of the chamber.

Thank you! It helps me a lot.

Old 10 October 2006   #55
I am also intrigued by the Axis City geometry. I've tried a quick sketch (20mins) to illustrate in a quick way how I imagine axis nader , the cubes, the blades and the plasma tube...look in my thread HERE and let me know if this is accurate or this is what you have in mind also! I don't want to start the actual scene until I'm not sure of the geometry and find the right pose. Thanks in advance!

Artstation || Facebook

Old 10 October 2006   #56
Question

Originally Posted by Suirebit: I am also intrigued by the Axis City geometry. I've tried a quick sketch (20mins) to illustrate in a quick way how I imagine axis nader , the cubes, the blades and the plasma tube...look in my thread HERE and let me know if this is accurate or this is what you have in mind also! I don't want to start the actual scene until I'm not sure of the geometry and find the right pose. Thanks in advance!

All those four cities are hazy for me. And how they are connected, fits one in an other is strange. Anyone tryed to make a sketch/technical drawing of the whole structure? The descriptions seems incomplete and illogical

Old 10 October 2006   #57
Subha post #40

It looks like there are a lot of people not quite understanding exactly what Axis City looks like. I think that's because included some details (likem the cubes in the front, the main cylinder, the vanes) and in other places not been entirely specific about where they all sit in relation to each other. And in other places, some parts (like the descriptions of the cubes on the south end) even seem contradictory. Subha, in post #40 of this thread, has the best general summary of what we know but even that, as he points out, has some elemetns that don't quite agree.

So we're not going to get a definitive sketch, layout, or anything else: The specifics are all open to each artist's interpretation. In the end, if it feels right to you without blatantly contradicting the text, it's all good.

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #58
The descriptions in the book suffer from, I think, a spat of bad editing. I wrestled with this last night. The other possibility is that the city is so huge that the different descriptions are acurate, but from differing perspectives.
Walrus is right, as is Subha, artistic license is the ticket. As long as you don't stray too far from the narrative.
Anyway, given the perspective argument, you'd never see the whole thing at once, unless you add ( as I'm thinking of doing ), some kind of diagramatic element to your composition.
Great thread!
Cheers.

Old 10 October 2006   #59
hey guys i am looking for information on thistledown -

in the inspiration section it doesnt mention if the chamber is lived in or if it has an atmosphere
or a sky or weather !

i know the there are huge stone structures with cables and buildings which gives me a start but any more info would be great

thanks a lot

http://www.bearfootfilms.com

VFX Workshop Tutorials

http://vfxworkshops.com/neil-maccormack/

Old 10 October 2006   #60
bearfoot> All the chambers have an atmosphere and varying weather conditions.
Thislecown is abandoned, but in perfect repair. The trains still run, and there's power and light. All the enities ( corporal and otherwise ), were moved to Axis City when it was built and sent off down the Way. Only Olmy and the Frant are there.

reply share thread