CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Illustration)
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #31
BinaryHylo
dreaming of warm climates

portfolio
Melissa Patton
Southfield, USA

Keep in mind that not everyone in Axis City is shaped like a humanoid. The neomorph residents can be shaped like anything from a metal bird to a floating metallic egg. They don't need as much space and probably live without kitchens or bathrooms in their homes. It does have 20 million residents that are corporeal with 70 million more stored as data in the city's memory.

Also the city stretches 40 km down the length of the Way so that should give everyone some space.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #32
Scotti Leslie
Old Member

Scotti Leslie
Whitethorn, USA

Hey Everyone, some more "optional" research for our enlightenment, There is a sequel to
EON, titled ETERNITY, and a prequel titled LEGACY. I have read them all and they are great.
ETERNITY deals with the same characters and is the continuation of the EON story.
LEGACY is the story of Olmy's first incarnation (and would make a great challenge also)
Yeah lets sell some of Greg Bears books, they rock!

Old 10-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #33
Rianti-Wong
Veteran
portfolio
Rianti Hidayat
Communication Visual Design, Graphic Major
Bandung Institute Of technology
Indonesia

Send a message via Yahoo to Rianti-Wong
Can someone help me to describe the cubicle and condition in the library (on the chapter we've giver for those who can't read the book). Where Patricia read about the history book then cry with Garry Lanier.
Since is only part of the chapter, i'm not too understand which chamber it is or what's look like.

*i'm not too good reading english, pardon me*

Thank You,

Rianti

Old 10-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #34
KarelFourie
Veteran
portfolio
Karel Fourie
New Zealand

Question Info required: Mirsky & Paratroopers

Hi, does anyone have some more information about Mirsky and the Paratroopers ? I am especialy interested in a character description. I would also like to know in which chamber the invasion takes place.

Thanks - Karel

Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #35
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

Rianti-Wong - I just reread that part of the book yesterday. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but at least the first time they enter that area, there's just not a lot of detail. Cubicles stretching down the chamber. Walls. Doors. But no really descriptive passages. Sounds like you're free to explore! But is it's the library in the "quaint" city of Alexandria, it might not be fantastically futuristic, it may even be similar to our own modern libraries! Good luck...

-mike

Old 10-13-2006, 03:12 AM   #36
piccolabella
mmmm graphics

portfolio
Melissa Altobello
Texture/Shader Artist
Naughty Dog
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to piccolabella
i'm not quite finished with the book yet (chapter 56) and i'm at a point where axis city is involved but i haven't really gotten much of a description of it (or i was reading too fast to realize it). i noticed also in the inspiration page that there weren't that many details of axis city either. it talks about some cylinder being 40k along the way and some vanes but i don't really get a sense of how it all looks... any insight?

Old 10-13-2006, 07:50 AM   #37
kbarts
ΛLIΞN

portfolio
Bence Kresz
concept artist/matte painter
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolabella
i'm not quite finished with the book yet (chapter 56) and i'm at a point where axis city is involved but i haven't really gotten much of a description of it (or i was reading too fast to realize it). i noticed also in the inspiration page that there weren't that many details of axis city either. it talks about some cylinder being 40k along the way and some vanes but i don't really get a sense of how it all looks... any insight?

Yes, i have the same problem. This cylinder and vans are vertical or horizontal?

Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #38
Rianti-Wong
Veteran
portfolio
Rianti Hidayat
Communication Visual Design, Graphic Major
Bandung Institute Of technology
Indonesia

Send a message via Yahoo to Rianti-Wong
Mike (walrus) : thanks a lot...i'll try to reread it once more. Is the chair there in cubicle form? just wonder which chamber it is...

Regards,

Rianti

Old 10-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #39
Anatomista
Frequenter

portfolio
Hugo Araujo
Illustrator
Brasilia, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to Anatomista
Post Entrace of the Stone

Hi, People.
It is a great pleasure to participate of this challenge.
I am just a bit upset that probably I will not I find the book in my city, and I know it is going to take time if I order it.

My doubt concerns the Stone. As some of you have already described, the entrace to the "inner space" of the asteroid is made through the First Chamber. It sounds unlikely but does it mean that the First Chamber stopple the hollow side of the Stone? This idea does not match to some images I've seen around the forum that show the Stone with this big hole. Is it possible to see within the Stone anyway?

Thank you!
Regards.
Hugo.

Last edited by Anatomista : 10-13-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #40
graphicgolem
Mind made worlds

portfolio
Alex Kelly
Graphic Designer
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolabella

hi I am trying to work out the structure of this section at the moment but I am having some difficulty between what seems to be conflicting discriptions from the inspiration sections.

In the 'Axis city' section it describes two cubes (navigation and power source), followed by Axis Nadir a cylindrical city (the one first built i think after the exodus from Thistledown), and then 3 curved blades that extend to the surface of the plasma tube (the plasma tube is extended 10km out in this discription so that it appears that the whole scene is underwater due to the blue glow).

The description for 'Gate traffic & Axis City' describes a Maltese cross which extends from two cubes (it is not clear if these are the same two cubes as in the description before) which acts as propulsion system for the 'cities'. The cubes are followed by a buffer shaped like a wine glass which rests flush against a cylindrical section, Axis Nadir (no mention of this wine glass shape is made in the previous description). Then beyond Axis Nadir is Axis City itself which is basically a cube shape with twisted pyramids on each of its faces. Beyond Axis City are two more cylinders, Axis Euclid and Axis Thoreaux which are I think are the most recently built of the cities. The absense of the three curves blades in this description further confuses matters.

The only way I can make sense of the discreprancies is that if they are actually describing the cities at different points in their history, the first one being at an earlier stage of the city building process. Although this doesn't seem add up as in the first description, Olmy and Patricia are actually in the environment descibed. In the second description it seems that the scene has been projected, as there is mention of a 'pictor' which seems to be somekind of holographic projection, so could pontentially be a discription from a different point in time from the main story. However I dont think this is right either as the city in the second description appears to be more advanced.

I am finding it a bit confusing so ignoring the differences as best I can - if anyone else can help it would be very welcome!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #41
living_for_cg
Expert

portfolio
Ali Jalali
3d character artist
mashad, Iran

Send a message via Yahoo to living_for_cg
Question

Oo..finally a place to find answers..thanks for this thread.
my question: i wanna know more and more about Naderites and Geshels in this book.As i know they are two different groups of people which one of them avoid the new and modern techlologies and others are opposite, they love the technology and live with this. This is my poor information about them...where do they live in this imaginary world?
on which chapter i can find information about them and in which champer do they live?
any help about them will be appreciated.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #42
Scotti Leslie
Old Member

Scotti Leslie
Whitethorn, USA

Subha- As I understand things, the south end of Axis City has two "broad cubes" on the
singularity providing power and propulsion along the flaw.
Next is Axis Nader ( a big cylinder), then comes "Central City" ( the three bigvanes?)
Then comes Axis Euclid and Axis Thoreau, both described as big cylinders with
thousands of lights. These are obviously brief descriptions of enourmous objects,
so go for the creative embelishments!

living_for_cg- References to the Naderites and Geshels are spread out all through the book.
So I cant direct you to any particular page. But I think that the Naderites
migrated (they were forced to by the Geshels) from the second chamber
where they lived in a city called Alexandria. They primarily live in Axis Nader.
The Geshels live primarily in Axis Euclid and Axis Thoreau, and they came from
the city of Thistledown in the third chamber. The entire asteroid is also called
Thistledown.

What I have wondered is where does the word "Geshels" come from? It sounds kinda
like hebrew or something?

Old 10-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #43
living_for_cg
Expert

portfolio
Ali Jalali
3d character artist
mashad, Iran

Send a message via Yahoo to living_for_cg
Scotti Leslie ....> thanks so much , helped me alot.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #44
Nazirull
Emillien...

portfolio
Nazirull Safry Paijo
Illustrator
Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thanks all for the info! I'll pick up a copy soon from a local store. Ive learned from the LOTR weta and production team, most of them have read the tolkien novels. Make a big difference.

And Peter Jackson himself is an authority when it comes to LOTR. I think we are playing Peter Jackson here, the only difference is that we are the WETA team too.

And Peter also did some necessary changes to the story to fit the screen. I think it can be suitable here also. Like what Peter did to the Pelennor Fields battle, the number of army in the book doesnt look so spectacular if translated directly to the screen. So he up the number a bit.

Actually, the stone in Eon, is Ceres....the biggest asteroid. I found it out here

Look under year 2400

And NASA description of Ceres is close to Greg Bear's in EON....

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetar...teroidfact.html

Question, length of a chamber is 30km....thatll be 210km for 7 chambers, we have around 700km left? Correct?

Last edited by Nazirull : 10-15-2006 at 07:48 AM.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #45
Darksuit
Privateer

David O. True
Sr. Technical Artist
Kingsisle
Round Rock, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Darksuit Send a message via AIM to Darksuit Send a message via Yahoo to Darksuit
actuatally the asteriod, Kleopatra is almost dead on to the dimensions of the stone. weighing in at 216X 92 km.

reply share thread