EON - The Book!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2006   #16
Hello!

Great that we have such a thread for this challenge. I am a bit confused about chamber listing.
I found description of 6 in the inspiration folder, but what about another one? What kind of chamber it is - is it the Death? Donīt have the book, so I will mainly work with my feeling about this subject. Hopefuly will not run too far from authorīs point

Thanx in advance.

Old 10 October 2006   #17
Arrow

Originally Posted by Bael: Nope, 50km diameter, 30km length - they're almost twice as wide as they are long.

The chamber caps are ~1km thick at their thinnist point, and have a small 'bore hole' in the center (at the 'Axis') about 1km in diameter. The plasma tube runs down the axis, the full length of each chamber, but is wider than the bore holes (I can't recall how wide it says they are). Its stated that the Plasma Tube is actually 6 seperate entities that begin and end anew in each chamber, rather than a single entity that runs continously throuch all chambers.

Entry to the Stone is done through the first chamber bore hole (which opens directly to space) via a 'rotating dock'. Moving from chamber to chamber within the stone is done either through the bore holes in each cap - or through tunnels around the cap located at 'ground level' and designated by large arches. There are many of said tunnels to drive through, and also trains which run the length of the stone through them. As well, there are also 4 equally spaced elevators around each cap which take you from ground level to the axis. The elevators twist around the face of the cap slightly (in the opposite direction the stone turns) so that they cancel out the spin of the Stone by the time their occupants reach the axis.

Thanks alot Bael for this verry good info. I picture better the whole asteroid and chambers in.

Old 10 October 2006   #18
Arrow

Originally Posted by Bael: I'm just under half-way through, but the descriptions given of the plant life in the 7th chamber (and stone in general), so far, make it out to be very plain. Sandy ground, short dry / yellowish grass, and a 'dwarf forest' which dissapears the farther you move away from the cap. So far no alien vegetation is mentioned, because all the plant-life in the stone was taken from Earth.

Great, this kills my idea of alien like plants hahaaaaaaa

Anyway thanks alot for the info.

Old 10 October 2006   #19
Originally Posted by Oweron: I found description of 6 in the inspiration folder, but what about another one? What kind of chamber it is - is it the Death?
Thanx in advance.

The Death is a Nuclear Winter/War on Earth. The 6th chamber was used for inertial(sp?) dampening and industry, there is no moving parts and is very dark and dreary the first time its introduced. Qoute from the ebook about the sixth chamber "the machinery has been modified and expanded. It once covered about three square kilometers, and the rest of the sixth chamber was used for industry and research, things that couldn’t be done in the cities." It doesn't really give more of a description than what is in the inspiration pages.

Old 10 October 2006   #20
I'm with Nomad, Bael, you've made it more clear for me. Thanks for the helpful description.

Still, does anyone know where the singularity is in relation to the plasma tubes? Also, is travel through the plasma tubes possible? I think the book did mention this...can't remember.

Old 10 October 2006   #21
David - Thanks for your thoughts on the Plasma-Tube.

Is the airplane built actually also of humans? Or how am I to understand that? Fly with the airplane to the hole and in the hole is then paralell the whole to the internal airplane? Can someone help there further?

Jakyll - Yes, the plane is built by humans... Well, technically, everything is built by humans here! But the Plane is built with only-slightly-more-advanced-than-modern technology, roughly 30 years down the road or no, not really far future. It's actually in 2 parts: There's the tube-rider itself, which attaches to the tube and jets along while clamped onto the axis. And then there's a landing craft, more like a real plane or a contemporary VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Lift) craft which attached to the tube-rider, refuels there, but can seperate and fly down to the chambers' surfaces. It can function both as a jet and a plane, and can land vertically or horizontally (i.e. like a plane.) If I were going to illustrate the landing craft, first place I'd look is at photos of modern VTOLs. As for the tube-rider part, you're on your own!

Hope this helps...

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #22
Originally Posted by Stephen1212: The Death is a Nuclear Winter/War on Earth. The 6th chamber was used for inertial(sp?) dampening and industry, there is no moving parts and is very dark and dreary the first time its introduced. Qoute from the ebook about the sixth chamber "the machinery has been modified and expanded. It once covered about three square kilometers, and the rest of the sixth chamber was used for industry and research, things that couldn’t be done in the cities." It doesn't really give more of a description than what is in the inspiration pages.

Ah, thanx for your reply. But we missunderstood each other. Probably my english formulation. I wanted to say, that I found description about "6" chambers (2,3,4,5,6 and 7 ) but there should be 7 of them. I was wondering what is inside the one which isnīt listed within inspiration folder - first chamber from my point of view, if they are listed correctly...

Old 10 October 2006   #23
Originally Posted by Nomad: Thanks alot Bael for this verry good info. I picture better the whole asteroid and chambers in.

No problem guys, glad it helped!

Originally Posted by Jedi-Juice: Still, does anyone know where the singularity is in relation to the plasma tubes? Also, is travel through the plasma tubes possible? I think the book did mention this...can't remember.

The Singularity exists only in the 7th chamber - and is a 'tube' much like the plasma tubes, which reaches from the central axis of the 7th chamber cap to the other end (infinity basically - as the 7th chamber aparently never ends). Its a much smaller diameter, however (measured in inches, 10 I think? Possibly larger, I'd have to double check) - and is dead center of the cylinder, with the plasma surrounding it. It ends abruptly in the chamber cap leading to the 6th chamber, and would give the illusion of a long floating rod if you're in the bore hole.

Hieneman (?) flew the Tube Rider down the axis of the stone, through the plasma the whole way, using the jets on the VTOL plane - so it seems that travel through the plasma is totally possible. At the end of the 6th chamber he pilots the Tube Rider over the open end of the Singularity at the chamber cap, and clamps it in place.

Old 10 October 2006   #24
Oweron, let me see if I chose the right one. The first chamber is the one that connects to the entrance of the asteroid. It's smaller than the other chambers and was used by it's makers more as storage space. The researchers have set up a cafeteria and housing in the chamber. It's more like a staging ground than the other chambers. Either that or it's a very small space with a sandlike material on the ground and a small gym. I got kind of confused on that point.

Old 10 October 2006   #25
This is an extremely general question, but could someone explain the fourth chamber to me? I don't really understand it's structure or function :/

Old 10 October 2006   #26
The fourth chamber is a sort of nature based environment regulation system. The plants and lakes help maintain the balance for the oxygen levels throughout the asteroid. It's also considered an 'outdoor' recreation area. It's like a national park with a varied environment. It has forests, large lakes, rivers, fish farming, and a quarter of the chamber gets light snow. Overall it has a moderate climate. Its become somewhat overgrown since the residents vacated the asteroid. It's described as self sustaining.

The researchers have several farming projects going in the fourth chamber as well.

The chamber contains four islands each with a different habitat along with more land and finger lakes in one area. There are billions of gallons of water in the chamber's water system but a good deal of land too. Someone in the book refers to the chamber as summer camp.

Old 10 October 2006   #27
Axis City
So i don not know that tha cylinder and the vans are in horizontal line or vertical. Could someone help me? Thank you.

Old 10 October 2006   #28
I dont understand the Axis city as well. BTW, what happened to the Stoners? did they die? or left the asteroid back to their Earth? I like the story very much though I just read what's in the inspiration section. I might participate as well if I got a fancy concept.

Watch our architectural works

Old 10 October 2006   #29
Great challenge topic. I got the book from a local library here and started to read it. If I manage to read it in time I might participate as well. Very inspirational story (so far)

Old 10 October 2006   #30
So I was thinking about Axis city, and I sat down to try and figure how much space it would take to cram 10 million poeple into the smallest amount of space.

Axis city is described as being 1km across. So the research begins..
First is it even possible by todays standards.
Answer : yes : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City
At its height or even better by description, its lowest point of being completely overcroweded and just packed and disgusting. Kowloon had a population of 1.9 Million people in a 1km Sqaure. With buildings only able to be a height of 14 stories. One thing to point out is to take a look at the result of the conditions that are achieved when people get this close.

The Next step. Proving it by math.
1 person = 1 10foot by 10foot space for living.
1 Kilometer = 3280 (rounded down) feet

328 (10 foot sqaure rooms) per km

328 cubed = 35,287,552 (10 foot square units) in 1 km
reduced the number by two third for pasage ways and recreation space

this gives us 10586265.6 units remaining. This is more than enough space provided that people can see fit to live in 10 foot square room/studios for an eternity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcology

reply share thread