Eon (Illustration) Entry: paul b castillo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Eon (Illustration) Entry: paul b castillo

paul b castillo is entered in the "Eon Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Vtol

10 October 2006
Concept Art: untitled

just starting out here. not really sure what i'm going to do in the end but at least this is a start

10 October 2006
Paul, nice start. Of all the entries I think you're the only one to understand the geometery of the chambers!

10 October 2006
Looks a bit familiar.

Last edited by Althanis : 10 October 2006 at 08:24 PM.

10 October 2006
honestly, never saw that link before, thanks though.

10 October 2006
Nice work so far, BC!

Given the story that all of the Challenge entrants are working from, complete with cylindrical chambers with the light-source going down the center, I think you'll find a lot of people capturing similar kinds of shots. Doesn't mean anyone's ripping off anything from Todd Lockwood, even though he illustrated a similar story. If we're ripping off from anyone, it's Greg Bear... and everyone has permission for that!

10 October 2006
Well said. given that most people haven't read the book and are all going from a 1 paragraph description on each world I would say that I'm suprised to see so many different takes on the idea.

10 October 2006
Cool

agree with walrus, the invasionscene is quiet much described exactly that way and i done a very simular type of shot as well in my thumbnails wich means nothing, the book describes it that way nice sketch BP_C, keep it up

10 October 2006
holy moly!

the perspective depth u created here is just outstanding mate! cant wait to c this one in full colour :P

free falling! hehehe

cheers mate! n good luck for da challenge! ><

10 October 2006
does look familier to me

First thing I thought of when I saw it was scene from I Robot where will smith jumps in beam. Sorry but it came into mind in about a sec.

10 October 2006
Thats a cool concept ,keep going dude.

10 October 2006
One constructive comment that I would point out is the dimensions of the cylinder: As someone pointed out on the oh-so-helpful Book Discussion thread, the cylinders are approximately 50km diameter and 30km deep. So each chamber is roughly the proportions of... I don't know, a can of tuna? A roll of Duct Tape? A double-tall petri-dish? You've depicted a much deeper chamber, and you might want to consider balancing the proportions a bit more towards the text. But of course this is only a first sketch... many more to go!

-mike

10 October 2006
I feel like a little bit of air is missing,maybe open up the canvas a bit more to bring in the HUGE feeling.
Nice sketch and start!
HAve fun!!!

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by walrus: One constructive comment that I would point out is the dimensions of the cylinder: As someone pointed out on the oh-so-helpful Book Discussion thread, the cylinders are approximately 50km diameter and 30km deep. So each chamber is roughly the proportions of... I don't know, a can of tuna? A roll of Duct Tape? A double-tall petri-dish? You've depicted a much deeper chamber, and you might want to consider balancing the proportions a bit more towards the text. But of course this is only a first sketch... many more to go!

-mike

yep , i agree with you on that one...when i drew it i was thinkin' the same thing.
i've got another couple of ideas brewing in my head that i need to put down to paper.
thanks for the comments and critiques , all are always welcome and wanted.

good luck to all

Thread Closed share thread