Eon (Illustration) Entry: Mark David

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: The Stone

This new update should settle any doubts about where this thread is heading. Rigorous analysis of this image of the Stone will reveal some things that might trouble the scientists among you. So let me be the first to admit one of them: The sub-surface light scattering in the edge of the craters suggest that the Stone is made of a material less like iron/rock and more like cheese. I understand that might be an issue for some, but I just couldn't picture my space ship heading for something that wasn't so, well, cheesy. So my apologies, Mr Bear. I know you have a well-deserved place among the leading 'hard science' sci fi authors and this pic doesn't reflect that at all. But this parallel reality will find its own destination, providing I can get through all the other stuff I have on my desk right now. More updates on the way, workload-permitting.

10 October 2006
daWinky
Hi Sabrina. Thanks so much for your kind words. Yes, this business of rocket science involves a lot of new territory for me so quite possibly there will be more adventures along the way. I will add that the work in your thread so far is looking fantastic

varma
Thanks for that. I'm glad you like the warrior and the plane. Somehow I think it's not what Greg Bear had in mind but I hope he understands

Try
Thanks Per. I like your imagery about the party book in his breast pocket while his mum's off holidaying at the gulag! Yes, I'm going to cling to that idea while I work. It's good to have strong concepts like that in mind while developing a character

oceanbluesky
Hi Eric. Great to see in again matey. Thanks for the encouraging comments.

10 October 2006
Cute... how cute I love this kind of images...

I bet my avatar could be seen in your space Mark, haha

10 October 2006
Cheeeeeesus Mark, that is on great asteroid!

Looks good enough to eat (Bring the crackers Gromit).

Great work Mark!! I Love the colours and style of this!

I can feel a truly classic sci-fi final image is in the making here!

10 October 2006
Heheh, the colour is great and that satellite is a classic! I think you might need some green martians at some point? Cheers, funny stuff.

10 October 2006
Just found your thread Mark, i love your alternate universe and aproach, splendid 8)

10 October 2006
Hey Mark...
Originally Posted by mdavid: This new update should settle any doubts about where this thread is heading.

Ok, I have no more doubts ... nice retro feeling when I look at this ...
and hey, I suddenly have an idea for lunch, hmmmm, cheese-filled potatoes

Looking forward to see more!

-sabrina

10 October 2006
Love that coloring!!
And the idea of making the thing cheezy is to good... your alternate world is so clever, I like how everything comes together step by step.
Did you have everything thought out from the start or has the concept grown while working?

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

10 October 2006
makaron
Thanks, Mona. I'll keep a look out for any GPs flying past. You just can never tell where those little guys are going to turn up next

Try
Thanks, Per. Scientific accuracy is very important to me. Therefore I really studied my cheeses thoroughly before doing the asteroid. Okay, I think I've contradicted myself somewhere there...

soapy
Green martian! Hmmm... nice idea. After all, this is outer space we're talking about. Like I was saying to Per, I value scientific accuracy very much, so I just might have to throw in some martians

handlebar
Thanks for that, mate. Much appreciated

GonzaloGolpe
Thank you!

daWinky
Haha! I must admit now that some of those doubts were my own!!! But there's no turning back now.

Gunilla
Thanks! It wasn't thought out in advance. It's been pretty much how this thread describes it. This rough sketch probably better explains the kind of thought processes I've been going through

10 October 2006
"I value scientific accuracy very much, so I just might have to throw in some martians"

BRILLIANT!! Your thread is so creative and refreshing!

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by oceanbluesky: "I value scientific accuracy very much, so I just might have to throw in some martians"

Perhaps some Martinis would be better!

The book does suggest that there are many possible universes that you can tap into along the Way, you've simply found an un-expected one. Fun piece, but I miss the guy in the spaceship. You're supposed to have that human emotional aspect--its there in your drawings.

10 October 2006
Dood, you should have posted that sketch before, cause like you totally should have gone with concept 2. It just so well represents mans inhumanity to man and potatoe alike! The horror...

10 October 2006
oceanbluesky
Thanks Eric! Hey I'm amazed to see you're going 5D! Wow. Go for it!

Ernest Burden
Many thanks! Yes, the guy in the spaceship will be back. Definitely.

soapy
Thanks for that. I did get stuck on concept 2 for a while but the cheese ended up winning on the day. However I'm thrilled that you read precisely the message in it that I was trying to convey

10 October 2006
Concept Art: Innocent bystander

Thanks to Soapy for this one. His suggestion of a martian got me going.

The satellite hanging around in the scene looked very much unused. It needed something. This guy might be a martian or maybe not. It's not too important because he's an innocent bystander, or by-sitter if I should be truthful (I know how hard it to let a mistake get past you folks!)

His colouring might change though. Green could prove to be too strong against that red/pink sky background. I mean, I want him to be seen, not to dominate

Thread Closed share thread