Eon (Illustration) Entry: Elena Fitts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
This piece is really starting to shape up wonderfully! You have really developed something different and spectaular. Still lots of work to go but what you have I love. The only major crit I have is the overall shape of the last hanging arch in the distance. The shape looks way off compared to the others to me.

01 January 2007
Final composite and colour timing: still the city

Just another update...still making the sity :/ Hopefully I finish with it until the morning.

01 January 2007
Haven't you heard? The challenege has been extened till midnight Jan 31!
Don't rush to get it finished you have plenty of time!

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by LightSovereign: did you literally hand paint the city detail?..

Yes, I painted all of the buildings...that's why it took so long, and as you can see I'm still not done with them.
And hey, come on you have great piece you should really be proud of! I personally think your idea much beter then mine

Originally Posted by aurora: The only major crit I have is the overall shape of the last hanging arch in the distance. The shape looks way off compared to the others to me.

Yes you right there, but I do know about that part. The sketch that i did was not that "polished" from the very beginning and I haven't touch it since then. I'm leaveing that part for the very end, when I done with environment.

Best of luck to both of you!

Last edited by selenaart : 01 January 2007 at 11:24 AM.

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by aurora: Haven't you heard? The challenege has been extened till midnight Jan 31!
Don't rush to get it finished you have plenty of time!

Holly moly!..I haven't heard about that! I thought I have to finish it until tomorrow midnight. I wasn't sure if I could make it. But now I have time!
Well in that case- good night to every one!.

01 January 2007
Final composite and colour timing: city is done...for the most part

I'am FINALY finished with the buildings.Make lots of changes on them again as you can see. The colors and cotrast on the right is still bothering me, but I try to find the way to make them better...I hope. For now there still some things to do, like adding the roads, a little work on the river, mountains (mostly on the right, cause now it's looks like the sity go's flowing in the air without them). Right now I'm going to work on the clouds.
Also this time a send the biger resolution of the image so you could see more of the details. Now it's about 50% of the original size.

Last edited by selenaart : 01 January 2007 at 06:01 PM.

01 January 2007
Lightbulb

My gosh, im stunned by your detailing for the buildings. They must have driven you mad at somepoint?.
I love th ereclining land of the tube to the sides, totally awesome.

Sorry no real crits from me, but i am a fan of your piece ^^.

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

01 January 2007
Arrow

I agree with LightSovereign, what an amazing amount of details you putted here

Great work, good luck in the final days/steps

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by LightSovereign: They must have driven you mad at somepoint?.

Marley

They have indeed

Thank you guys for nice replies. In some point such comments help me do not give up on this piece.

01 January 2007
Final composite and colour timing: clouds?

I started on the hanging buildings. Wanted to give them different look from the one that down. The contrast is a little bit off, I fix that later. I also worked on closer clouds. I satisfied with the left cloud now, but not the right one, it's still bothering me. It's not the color anymore, it's the shape. If I have the time I would definetly try to change it in some way and see if thats helps. Also when I was flicking between the layers I saw the previous shape of the distant clouds. For some reason that shape does work better for the perspective. So I would like to know if someone can give the advice if I should change the clouds. It's just if I bring them down I have to redraw the shadows too (I have to put them further)...and I don't like that. But when I put the extra cloud on the left, so that the shadows could remain on there place it's looks...to cloudy...and kinda symmetrical. I'm not sure if that's a good thing for this piece.

01 January 2007
Ooooh! This is beautiful!!

Suggestion for dealing with clouds - study some photo reference, or possibly even put cloud photo on a layer and have fun with the clone tool, since time is short. I've never found anything better than having photo reference for clouds, to the point that I have a separate folder in my Art Reference folder just for clouds! Even though they are chaotic, the cloud forms follow a set of physical rules and therefore have some definite appearances that are hard to duplicate in a believable way without reference.

Notice that I haven't put any clouds in my entry...

01 January 2007
Final composite and colour timing: neah

No, no JeffZugale you misunderstand me. It's not like I don't know how to paint the clouds. I have been holding a photo reference wile I was painting the clouds in the front :)

What I meant was if I should put the clouds more down-closer to horizon line?

Last edited by selenaart : 01 January 2007 at 11:40 PM.

01 January 2007
I would put them down. It gives more space and meaning to the beam light above.
Great ongoing work!

01 January 2007
Final Image: Thistledown

Well I think this is it. It was a hard experience for me. When I first started it I thought that it could actually learn something from it (as I usually do). But this time it din't turn out that way. Now when it's over I think it was more of using the old techniques. Although I'm not regreting doing this. At least I have another finished work in my list and it's always good to try working on the theme that someone throw at you -it's a good practice for the future as I see it. :) Basically all I can say is that I have been trying to keep as close to the description as I could...hope I made it.
I'd like to thank everyone who has been nice and supportive to me! :) and GOOD LUCK TO YOUR ALL!
______
Thistledown City was astonishing… Here the Stone architects had allowed themselves complete freedom. Treating the chamber as a giant valley, they had strung cables from cap to cap and hung buildings from them in graceful curves.

Taking advantage of the upward slope of the floor, they had built arched structures fully ten kilometers long, bands of steel and processed Stone material interacting in patterns of silver and white, casting soft-edged shadows over the neighborhoods below. Some of the structures rose to the very limits of the chamber’s atmosphere; these were actually thicker at the top than the bottom, like golf tees

Last edited by selenaart : 02 February 2007 at 09:03 PM.

02 February 2007
Thumbs up

Hey how is it I've passed over your pic here???shame on me!Well in the first place, congratz on finishing.you made a cool work on thistledown mate!Nice smooth pic.Good luck Elena and may zze forzz be wizzz you

Thread Closed share thread