Eon (Illustration) Entry: Adam L. Richards

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2007   #31
Arrow

This is niiiiiiice

I like alot

Looking for next updates, go go go

Old 01 January 2007   #32
Very nice atmosphere... Love the river and bridge too... good luck with the challenge...

My online portfolio

Old 01 January 2007   #33
This is looking really nice! You've managed in a very short amount of time to depict a really nice city and atmostphere. It feels perfectly abandoned - you can almost hear the wind whistling through the abandoned streets!

This is just my opinion and interpretation of the book, but the thing that doesn't work for me is just how terrestrial the scene looks. With the exception of the plasma tube in the sky, it looks like it could be just a semi-futuristic city on earth. I know Alexandria is patterned after more earthly cities to be "quaint," but this feels maybe so much so that it no longer really reads as science fiction or at all otherworldly. The part that bugs me the most is the far foreground on the right, the train-tracks that look like the standard, contemporary tracks, complete with contemporary signals. In the book, even Alexandria was hooked up to a futuristic train line (the one Patricia takes right before she's "kidnapped" by Olmy and the Frant) that spans the length of the stone. It would be also nice to see some of the building silhouettes pushed even futher away from the conventional box-shape as well.

Sorry to be a downer, I really like what you've done, and the rendering is fantastic! Just think it could possibly recall the book more Anyhow, great work!

-mike

Old 01 January 2007   #34
Thanks for all the supportive comments everyone!

Walrus: I totaly agree. I think I set out with the intent to capture that 'quaint' LA look, and to make sure that the environment looked 'functional' and not just a collection of sci fi buildings with streets empty of all signage and utilities. I hate seeing sci fi like Star Trek where the environments just seem so empty and non-functional. I LOVE seeing sci fi like Blade Runner and The Fifth Element where there is some industrial grit and 'guts' in the city.

That being said, I think I agree with you that I've got that vibe going, but a bit too much so. I probably wont change the flavor of the buildings tooo much from what they are currently, I think the fact there are several that well over 100 stories keep them in the 'quaint' looking but 'sci fi super size' style of Alexandria. I deffinitely want to change the forground, Partly because I agree with you that the tracks look too terrestrial, and partly because i feel guilty that the forground are just 3 photos stitched together and painted over. I'd like to change it to a more sci fi looking track as you said, or possibly some kind of observation deck or boardwalk area... you know, photo op platform. maybe a restrant to eat lunch overlooking the city.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Old 01 January 2007   #35
Although I agree you should bring in some more futuristic elements I realy love this pic, great,great atmosphere!!!

Old 01 January 2007   #36
Thumbs up

Well I too have to agree with Mike here.It does look a tad too terrestrial.However you have done a bang-up job with the sense of dereliction in this image.Everything looks just perfect.i believe you can fiddle around in the next few days & try something new with it just to add some more flavour.

Cheers!

Old 01 January 2007   #37
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Alexandria

did a lot of work here and there, Much happyer with the sky i think,

everything is looking a bit flat at the moment, Going to make some things pop tomorrow. Also need to decide what to do with the forground. I flipped the canvas and saw my composition was was off balance, so i need to insert something here. Not sure what yet...

Old 01 January 2007   #38
Like the new changes! The sky was good before, but this is even better. And I like where you're going with the lower right, even if you don't yet know where you're going with the lower right. Good luck with it!

-mike

Old 01 January 2007   #39
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: Alexandria

bumped the sky, darkened the sides and bloomed the center like the tube was going through a cloud, Kind of like how lightning looks in a cloud, but prmanent.

I may stick with this sky, gotta fix everything in the background now.

Thanks for the comments walrus! ^_^

Old 01 January 2007   #40
Well, underway eeh?. this has come about beautifully, truly realistic.... Would be a nice touch to see some of that mammatus cloud from earlier grace the left hand side, that would look sweet. not a crit really just an observation..

fantastic work!

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Old 01 January 2007   #41
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: alexandria

mm.... still fussing with it. need to make a decision on the forground too...

Old 01 January 2007   #42
I really love those skycrapers emerging from clouds. Best of luck mate, though you don't need it.

Old 01 January 2007   #43
amazing realism mate! honestly i dont kno wat to crit on, theres so much to like here!

me waits for all the ingredients to be added ..

good luck mate!

cheers!

Old 01 January 2007   #44
Fantastic painting! an icredible detailed environment!

B-movie

Old 01 January 2007   #45
amazing work!! I like it more with less clouds but its nothing, everything looks beautiful

Thread Closed share thread