CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Illustration)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #31
Conkrys
It aint a bunny!

portfolio
Constantine Krystallis
3D Character Animator/CG Artist
Self-employed
Greece

this is a very interesting concept you are developing here.. I have one question which I didn't see nayon mentioning in the previous posts. What is it with the face? Not that it's bad I am just curious... cool models and texturing.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #32
niva
iBURNu

portfolio
Nik Ivanov
Top Gun Baby
Houston, USA

Send a message via ICQ to niva
O_o

Really good WIP, looking forward to seeing more of the city you had in the Bryce model. Good job on the model btw, right now your work is more 3D than 2D but we shall see by the end.

Did you paint the ships or model?

Old 10-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #33
adib
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Adrian Baluta
Senior Animator Ubisoft Romania
Ilfov, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to adib
Very nice comp!Good luck to you!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #34
prabath
Expert

portfolio
Prabath Wijayantha
Freelance Illustrator
Colombo 5, Sri Lanka

Red face Hey

Hi guys,looks like I owe you guys a lot of explanation.Well let`s cover one point at a time;First of all the mirrored touch is due to the fact that the buildings are metal.As for the early composition of the piece,everything apart from the main cube were planned as filler material so that part of the architecture got replaced by the corresponding cubes & here I shall apologise if I have disappointed fans of that comp.Although parts of that formation will ultimately be added for emphasis on the theme of "civilization".On the other hand I`m more & more tempted to matte paint the whole filler architecture.So keep your fingers crossed,but I hope you guys will come to like it.I also admit,it looks more 3D & yes, the ships are 3D.They are really old models I did in Max 5.And finally,about the face:It was done purely for sentimental reasons.I`m really thrilled at how you guys have responded to this piece & I thank you guys that much for that.Keep all crits,questions & suggestions coming,I really appreciate it.

Cheers & Good luck to everyone participating.

Prabath.

Last edited by prabath : 10-27-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #35
EhsanD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ehsan Dabbaghi
Matte painter , Environment concept artist , BG artist
Tehran, Iran

wooow ... you did it ...
keep up man ...
great job ...
cheers ...

Old 11-08-2006, 04:25 AM   #36
prabath
Expert

portfolio
Prabath Wijayantha
Freelance Illustrator
Colombo 5, Sri Lanka

Final composite and colour timing: Eon(illustration)entry:The Death

Hey folks,I made some modifications in the tiny details & colour contrast.This is pretty much the final composition of the shot.Only the elements like atmospheric effects & filler materials remain to be added.Till then let me know what you guys think.

Cheers to all you guys!

Prabath.

p.s.I was thinking about adding multiple blast lasers in the distant background.Let me know what you guys think about it.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 AM   #37
nwiz25
mouseman

portfolio
neville dsouza
game artist
Reliance Games pvt.ltd
Pune, India

Send a message via Yahoo to nwiz25

a
w
e
s
o
m
e

dude!

simply awesome!

cheers!

n

good luck to you!

Old 11-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #38
timwarnock
Frequenter

portfolio
Tim Warnock
Art Director
Oakville, Canada

Hey Prabath,
Nice work so far. I am just wondering about some of your compositional choices. I really liked your early model:

This seemed more epic than the current framing of the shot. I would also watch that everything isn't dead center. It seems a little static with everything pointing to the center of the frame. You might consider widening your composition for more of a 1 : 2.35 ratio to build that epic feeling. That would also give you room to offset the composition so your main building isn't dead center. I would start by aligning your hero building to the lower right or left 3rd of the frame. Keep up the great work man!

Cheers,
Tim
timwarnockstudio.com

Old 11-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #39
prabath
Expert

portfolio
Prabath Wijayantha
Freelance Illustrator
Colombo 5, Sri Lanka

Final composite and colour timing: Eon(illustration)The Death:MAjor compositional change

Hey folks I made some changes to the composition of the shot.Tim;thanks for your fabulous suggestions.I have much to work from here to fill in the gaps.let`s here what you guys think about this.

Cheers & good luck!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #40
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

Beautiful colors and details in this piece. Nice work so far! I don't think your recent compositional change works very well just yet. You've shifted the building over, but haven't changed the perspective of the piece to really accomodate the added sections. The perspective is still the old persepctive just moved to the right. If you're really serious about wanting to move the "hero building," as tim called it, over to the right, you might want to consider rerenderring the whole thing with the camera moved over too so that the perspective is correct. It's a lot of work, admittedly, but just shifting it all over right isn't working yet: You spent too much time making the center of the former composition the focus to eliminate that focus that easily. Good luck with it!

-mike

Old 11-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #41
EhsanD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ehsan Dabbaghi
Matte painter , Environment concept artist , BG artist
Tehran, Iran

wow ... friend ... I am realy happy you are working like this ...
you find your style ...
keep working ...
thats amazing ...
cheers ...

Last edited by EhsanD : 11-11-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:44 AM   #42
prabath
Expert

portfolio
Prabath Wijayantha
Freelance Illustrator
Colombo 5, Sri Lanka

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks a load you guys!Your support is what makes me going.Mike;it`s an honor to here from you sir.i posted this pic before making any big adjustments to see if you guys like the composition.I will make the necessary changes soon.I also feel the explosion lacks impact.so maybe I`ll change that as well.

Cheers to all!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #43
prabath
Expert

portfolio
Prabath Wijayantha
Freelance Illustrator
Colombo 5, Sri Lanka

Final composite and colour timing: Eon(illustration)the death

O.K. I just made a whole lot of changes to the painting.I worked on the perspective & I hope the death looks more imposing now.All crits are most welcome.

Cheers to all!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #44
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

Prabath - It's looking good. I appreciate how you're trying to make the image less symmetrical, but the proper way to do that would be to rerender the model with proper perspective. It shouldn't bee too hard: You have the model, and you certainly have the time! But just cutting and pasting and flipping parts of your image is just giving you areas that are not correctly in perspective with the rest of the piece. I used a perspective grid overlaid on your image to show you what I mean:

So if you really want to change your initial idea and make it assymetrical, you might be better off starting from a whgole new render as the underlying basis for your piece. Personally, I didn't think the symmetrical version was so bad.
But I do like the work on the clouds and explosions!

Anyhow, hope this was what you wnated. Good luck!

-mike

Old 11-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #45
prabath
Expert

portfolio
Prabath Wijayantha
Freelance Illustrator
Colombo 5, Sri Lanka

Thumbs up

Hey Mike,thanks for all the help.I have some major issues making the said adjustments.First of all it would be best that you know that I don`t own my own PC.I`ve been working from a net cafe all this time.So it`s been a long time since I`ve had to delete the original models I`ve made for the sake of "disk space".Now I only have the raw photos to work from.I hope you see my predicament.However I still have the original several renders with me,so I will try to make the best out of them but I can`t be too sure,`cause at the end of the day it`s not my own PC I`m working from.As for the time factor it presents a far more sad story `cause I`ve got exams coming in campus.So you see I have my plate full,but I will try my best to make things right.If I fall short I just hopr I won`t loose a great fan.

Cheers!

Thread Closed share thread