Eon FAQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2006   #61
I also would like to ask for the style of the illustration. I mean, since it's science fiction novel so it MUST as realistic as possible, right?
so illustrator who not too familiar with realistic style will be at disadvantage, right? (for example cartoon style)
Or Greg don't mind whatever the style, or even abstract?

Cause, different from the last challenge, it's free and various (the style)...

i'm on my way to read the synopsis (not yet register for the challenge), but i also not too understand about "ghost" in the prolog....can also someone explain it?

I'm clicking on the link Chapter 1, chapter 2, then chapter 10 & 33 on the "about EON" 's page. And i found myself back into the prolog page again and again. Can't we read that other chapter?

nwiz25: is it 04 October 2006 - 15 January 2007?

Thank You,

Rianti

Old 10 October 2006   #62
Text in the pictures

We know that the material produced for this challenge should be used to promote the film.
Some of us thought to create some kind of film poster... can we put the title of film, the name of the autor, a motto, ecc like in the standard film poster or do you prefere to have a simply illustration, that you can manipulate in a second time?

Old 10 October 2006   #63
Arrow

I have a question about copyright: is the text below means that I can`t sell a poster of my work for example at zazzle.com without the permission of Greg Bear? I understand fully that I can`t sell the image to Coca Cola or Nike as a commercial work.

By advance thank you for any info.
"When you have finished your work will be yours - you hold the Copyright for it as a derivative work, inspired by EON, a novel by Greg Bear. You will be free to show your finished work anywhere you want as long as it is in a non-commercial context and you include in the credit these words “inspired by EON, a novel by Greg Bear”. You cannot make any claim or imply in nay way that you created the work for Greg Bear and must not allow your work to appear in any form under ‘EON’ or ‘Greg Bear’ imprimatur.

As a derivate work you can not use your work in any commercial manner without gaining written permission from Greg Bear."

Old 10 October 2006   #64
although I am a member of this site do I have to upgrade to full GCS membership before I can enter ay of these categories?

Was just wondering as i'm currently readin EON with a view to entering both the illustration and 3d modelling sections.

Cheers

Sean

Old 10 October 2006   #65
@Villane, no, you don't have to have a paid membership to CGTalk to participate in the contests.

I'm currently reading Eon too. I'll participate more in these discussions once I'm done. I don't want to spoil the story for myself.

Leonardo da Vinci - "The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance."

Old 10 October 2006   #66
Originally Posted by M31: @Villane, no, you don't have to have a paid membership to CGTalk to participate in the contests.

I'm currently reading Eon too. I'll participate more in these discussions once I'm done. I don't want to spoil the story for myself.

cool mate, well I wish you all the best with your work.
So far i'm about 10 pages in...it's about a big asteroid and some scientists..sounds like a simple image to me

Cheers
Sean

Old 10 October 2006   #67
Originally Posted by ukitel: We know that the material produced for this challenge should be used to promote the film.
Some of us thought to create some kind of film poster... can we put the title of film, the name of the autor, a motto, ecc like in the standard film poster or do you prefere to have a simply illustration, that you can manipulate in a second time?

So long as it's clear that the poster is 'inspired by the book EON by Greg Bear' I don't see that being a problem.

Originally Posted by nomad: I have a question about copyright: is the text below means that I can`t sell a poster of my work for example at zazzle.com without the permission of Greg Bear? I understand fully that I can`t sell the image to Coca Cola or Nike as a commercial work.

Thats correct, you must ask for permission to sell your artwork.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 10 October 2006   #68
let me clear this,
for 3d scene,
final image should be 2657 / 3636 px dimensions but 4-8sec animation should be 640*480
post effects (such as explosions, camera DOF change) are not important for final judging, the point is to show detail level and success about "3d" scene by rotating camera or flythroughs.
am i right?

Old 10 October 2006   #69
I did send this in wrong forum, so retyping it now here in FAQ one

Hello there. I am in. Wishing good luck to everybody. With deadline hunting and imagination too
I am missing one detail, though: File formats for "trailer" milestones (?) Could anybody describe, please...

cheers,

Old 10 October 2006   #70
Originally Posted by cgoz: let me clear this,
for 3d scene,
final image should be 2657 / 3636 px dimensions

hi
the size is only a guideline..the point being whatever size you make the finel render it should be very large,you should render as if your expecting to print it.

Old 10 October 2006   #71
Hi

I submit my entry in Trailers category. And by using team management I invited my friend to join my team few days ago.
But he says that he dont get any message with invite.
why?

Old 10 October 2006   #72
My question is about 3D-scene and I would like to know what are the required frame rate
of the animation and minimum resolution!
I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but I really couldn't find it!
Thanks!

Old 10 October 2006   #73
Mibus (and other mods) -

I have a request/suggestion: This is the first Challenge in which there's been "required reading" as part of the homework assignment. So all of us have this one book we're reading, and there are bound to be discussion about it - not necessarily questions about the specifics of the rules, but just general chit-chat about the book. I was wondering if you might start a new thread, like this one, just for a general conversation between members about the text of the book. A book-discussion thread, as it were. If it were a movie and in the General discussion forum, Roberto would no doubt title it "Just read EON, the Reviews are Pouring In!"

People could discuss whether they liked it or not, what they felt the characters motivations were. We could talk over some of the more tricky descriptive passages - I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how the Plasma Tube works, for example... And I'm a native English speaker! I think a thread like this would be also really beneficial to those members for whom English was not a first language (especially if they can't find a translation of 'Eon' in their native tongue.)

It's true, people can now have these conversations in they're own personal threads, but then the answers and debate will be diluted over hundreds of threads and hard to find. And you wouldn't want this thread bogging down with these questions. Having one place for all of us to have a book-discussion group would be really convenient... and also help bolster the community comeradery that always makes these Challenges so fun to begin with.

Anyhow, just an idea, hope it's something you'll like the merits of!

-mike

Old 10 October 2006   #74
umm ... this is my first CG challenge participation, and i read in the instructions page,
something about sending the final TIFF file using FTP ...

well ... i panicked ... ( early huh .. ) coz i dont kno anything about it ... please please .. can anyone tell me step by step how do i go about transferring the final image .. and where to transfer it to ...

also .. ' the making of article '.. did the winners of the earlier challenges send 300 dpi hi-res screenshots of their work in progess ... ???

please help :(

thanx guys ><

Old 10 October 2006   #75
Originally Posted by walrus: Mibus (and other mods) -

I have a request/suggestion: This is the first Challenge in which there's been "required reading" as part of the homework assignment. So all of us have this one book we're reading, and there are bound to be discussion about it - not necessarily questions about the specifics of the rules, but just general chit-chat about the book. I was wondering if you might start a new thread, like this one, just for a general conversation between members about the text of the book. A book-discussion thread, as it were. If it were a movie and in the General discussion forum, Roberto would no doubt title it "Just read EON, the Reviews are Pouring In!"

People could discuss whether they liked it or not, what they felt the characters motivations were. We could talk over some of the more tricky descriptive passages - I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how the Plasma Tube works, for example... And I'm a native English speaker! I think a thread like this would be also really beneficial to those members for whom English was not a first language (especially if they can't find a translation of 'Eon' in their native tongue.)

It's true, people can now have these conversations in they're own personal threads, but then the answers and debate will be diluted over hundreds of threads and hard to find. And you wouldn't want this thread bogging down with these questions. Having one place for all of us to have a book-discussion group would be really convenient... and also help bolster the community comeradery that always makes these Challenges so fun to begin with.

Anyhow, just an idea, hope it's something you'll like the merits of!

-mike

Completely agree with Walrus.

reply share thread