CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Illustration)
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #31
Climax
The Unforgiven

portfolio
Omar Carias
2 & 3D Animation
Climax3D
Tegucigalpa, Honduras

Send a message via Yahoo to Climax

Hi Mibus

I don't quite get it...i didn't even know of the existance of the book , but they say it is not nessesary to have read it (Of course I will)

...Are we supposed to recreate a scene already of the book or are we free to create based on the story a new tale?

For example if I participate in the creation of the trailer, Can I use one still of it to participate in the illustration or in the 3D Scene category or both?

If I can not find someone to work with in the team category, is it possible to work alone?

I am happy to see the Challenges going for a higher level, but I am afraid that the time could be so little, I mean, it sounds like a lot more work to do to create something convincible at least for the trailer entry. I say this because participating in Challenges means extra time of my work, I Understand that sacrifice is allways needed and that not everyone has the same schedule, but anyway I will do my best to get into it.

Thanks

Old 10-05-2006, 02:18 AM   #32
Stefan-Morrell
coffee monster

portfolio
Stefan Morrell
Lyttelton, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibus

bombeu: The judging will be done on the animation (ie, turntable, rock, or flythrough) submitted. The emphasis in the 3D Scene category is on the model work, not the picture as a whole.

M31: Except in the 3D Scene category, yes. We want to see how well you can create a 3D representation of something, post-processing changes that.

ahh..this is different to previous challenges where both 2d & 3d were about the final images,I think I better enter for illustrations too as I want to use postworked 3d to make a illustration

question: why are some of the 3d entrants labelled '3d scene' & some labelled '3d model'

Cheers!
Stefan

Old 10-05-2006, 04:28 AM   #33
shakes
backslidden

portfolio
John Shakespeare
cartoonist
Sydney Morning Herald
sydney, Australia

are there no thumbnails on the entries page this time? a big shame if so, as it makes it so much easier to see peoples updates, and also much more visually appealing.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:45 AM   #34
shakes
backslidden

portfolio
John Shakespeare
cartoonist
Sydney Morning Herald
sydney, Australia

I'm a bit confused-in the challenge introduction rules it says this:

3D Scene:
Your final entry requires an illustration plus a 4 - 8 second animation of your completed scene (not just a model).

but the way you put it, Robert, it can be just a model:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibus
For the 3D Scene, we're after a really well-done model (of an environment or an object), which you'll show us with a short animation (eg. a turntable or flythrough).

Old 10-05-2006, 05:23 AM   #35
salmonmoose
Moose Administrator

portfolio
Anton Fletcher
Gluing captions to cats
Ballistic Media
Australia

Send a message via ICQ to salmonmoose Send a message via AIM to salmonmoose Send a message via MSN to salmonmoose Send a message via Yahoo to salmonmoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climax
Hi Mibus

I don't quite get it...i didn't even know of the existance of the book , but they say it is not nessesary to have read it (Of course I will)

...Are we supposed to recreate a scene already of the book or are we free to create based on the story a new tale?

For example if I participate in the creation of the trailer, Can I use one still of it to participate in the illustration or in the 3D Scene category or both?

If I can not find someone to work with in the team category, is it possible to work alone?

I am happy to see the Challenges going for a higher level, but I am afraid that the time could be so little, I mean, it sounds like a lot more work to do to create something convincible at least for the trailer entry. I say this because participating in Challenges means extra time of my work, I Understand that sacrifice is allways needed and that not everyone has the same schedule, but anyway I will do my best to get into it.

Thanks

Entries should deal with the events, and themes of the book.

Whilst you may enter multiple categories, each entry must be a unique concept, thus a still from an animation, may not form the basis of an illustration entry.

Teams may be any number of people. From one to 1 million (or more). Realistically teams of 4 are optimum, that is what the prize pool accomodates for.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 10-05-2006, 05:25 AM   #36
salmonmoose
Moose Administrator

portfolio
Anton Fletcher
Gluing captions to cats
Ballistic Media
Australia

Send a message via ICQ to salmonmoose Send a message via AIM to salmonmoose Send a message via MSN to salmonmoose Send a message via Yahoo to salmonmoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
I'm a bit confused-in the challenge introduction rules it says this:

3D Scene:
Your final entry requires an illustration plus a 4 - 8 second animation of your completed scene (not just a model).

but the way you put it, Robert, it can be just a model:

It can just be a model. However we require a video of your finished model to prove that it is in fact 3D, and to show off the 3dness of the model. Think of the animation as more of a camera move than a fully rigged character doing a polka.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 10-05-2006, 05:40 AM   #37
shakes
backslidden

portfolio
John Shakespeare
cartoonist
Sydney Morning Herald
sydney, Australia

thanks Anton

Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #38
Mike-inel
Veteran

portfolio
Guillermo III Roa
Anime Colorist
Philippines

I also have some questions:
Is it ok to enter a game art (lowpoly) in "3d scene" category? If so, will there be limitations?
May I use my entry in other projects, specifically game?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:32 AM   #39
M31
I think, therefore I am

portfolio
Erin Munkacsy
Chicago, USA

@Mibus, thanks for correcting me on that. I guess the 3D scene/model category is confusing because it doesn't fall into either the traditional category of still or full animation. So the judging focus will be on the quality of the modelling in this one? Whereas it is more story for the other two (illustration and trailer)?

Another question(s), this time about the trailer challenge:

Right now I am going solo in the trailer challenge. However, I would eventually like to have help in the music department. I wouldn't expect anyone to want to commit to doing music for me until I produce visuals they find worthwhile. I am hoping to find a composer to join me in a month or so. I just want to make sure that this is okay.
Voice actors don't have to be full team members/CG Talk members do they? I'll probably just have a few people I know record a few lines for me.

Thank you to the administrators for organizing this awesome challenge and answering all our questions!

Leonardo da Vinci - "The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance."

Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #40
Mibus

M31: Yes, the judging on the 3D Scene (/ model) category will be less story-based and more based on technical excellence.

Waiting for new team members should be fine, though if they don't have accounts then they can't be officially pulled into the team. Think of it as crew vs. cast - crew members (modelers, animators, etc) have to have accounts and be officially included. Cast members - voice actors, regular actors, etc - don't. (It'd be nice for them if you credited them in the short, of course )

Mike-inel: That's OK, but you'll still be competing against people with a lot more polys

Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #41
authentic
hair loser

portfolio
vincent guibert
rendering,lighting,FX supervisor
angouleme, France

I go back in a certain way on TheSOracle question which have no answer. IS there a way to switch from one categories to another. I explain : for 2/3 of the work, I would make the same work in illustration category and 3d category. But depending on how much I progress when we arrived in December I'll choose to enter more illustration category or 3d one. So how can I do (and can I do it) ? I don't want to "hide " my job and choose in december as I think the interessant thing for this challenge is just to share our WIP. Would I have to ask you to delete my entry in one category and then I'll repost in the other one ?

Well I ask many things but I'm not sure I'll have time to do it

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

Old 10-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #42
Overchord
Something fishy here.....

portfolio
Jens Rasmussen
Marine Biologist
Marine Scotland
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Overchord
Thumbnails?

Will the little thumbnail views of people most recent submission be introduced to the thread again or are they gone for good?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #43
H3rbie
I am a lobster!
portfolio
Peder Kallin
Character modeler
Stockholm, Sweden

Im prolly blind and apologize for what seems, and prolly is, a stupid question but....whens the deadline for this?

Old 10-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #44
pearson
In Transit

portfolio
James McClure
Enviro Guy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3rbie
Im prolly blind and apologize for what seems, and prolly is, a stupid question but....whens the deadline for this?
It is on the bottom of the announcement, and was repeated here in this thread already (post #18)
15 January 2007

Old 10-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #45
TheSoracle
Animation Admirer

portfolio
Steven Ritchie
Associate Planner
Critical Mass
Calgary, Canada

Another Quick Question: What exactly are we making? From what I understand, it is somewhat like a poster for the book/film.

reply share thread