Eon (Illustration) Entry: Tiziano Baracchi

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Thank you, buffichar! I must be doing something right... .

At the moment I don't think of adding anything more in the background: there are buildings on the islands, and one or two boats in the water too, I think it will be clearer as soon as some color is there.
Always open to suggestions, though !

11 November 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: The Fourth Chamber - partial color pass

Yesterday I was thinking about changing the platform's design to something simpler and cleaner, the retro flavor it had wasn't really convincing...
Moreover, Walrus comment made me 'see' Garry and the way he was just standing there, not doing much for the picture, the 'tension' I felt between him and Patricia at the beginning of the novel wasn't there.
After a bit of study and a couple attempts, I can say I like this version better.
Here it is half-way through the first color-pass (I tend to put in some hints of volume and lighting from the very beginning of my color work).

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited by Thaldir : 11 November 2006 at 06:13 PM.

11 November 2006
Good paiting!

My suggestion is to change the pose of both, putting them looking towards the light would draw attention to something within the image itself. I don't know if it would really change the result, 'cause it depends much on what you are planning to do: a scene or a poster. But I don't think it matters after all; being based on Eon, it is ok.

Good luck!

11 November 2006
Good work

Wow! I definately not thinking this...very nice. I felt alot more tension now

11 November 2006
Nice work, on both the coloring and the new pose. I think it works a lot better than the last one - you think so too?
I also like the change on the platform. Looking forward to seeing more colors in the landscape!

-mike

11 November 2006
@ Anatomista thanks a lot for the good wishes and the suggestion.
You'll forgive me, I hope, if I do not follow it: at the beginning Garri was in a position like you suggested, and it didn't work... The focus here are meant to be the characters and their relationship: very human emotions in an alien environment...

@ Buffichar: thank you! You're very encouraging.

@ Walrus: you were definitely right, I think it's way better now and it wouldn't be, without your suggestion. Thank you!
Full first color pass will be posted... in minutes.

11 November 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: The Fourth Chamber - color pass

Finished the first color pass. It took a while, not so much for the actual work but for the time needed to think out how colors would react in the white, diffuse light of the Potato chambers.
I went for a cold, desaturated feeling: the light would lack the yellow dominance of our sun and filter through the clouds gathered around the white 'river of light' in the sky.
An effect similar, in my opinion, to what can be seen sometimes in stormy weather.
Given that the Islands in the Fourth Chamber were a 'Vacation resort' as well as a wild-life preserve and fish-farming centre I added some buildings on the nearest visible island (and a boat/ship in the sea too...).

11 November 2006

Sorry, multiple post.

Last edited by Thaldir : 11 November 2006 at 10:28 PM.

11 November 2006

Sorry, multiple post (again!)

Last edited by Thaldir : 11 November 2006 at 10:29 PM.

11 November 2006
Initial color pass or textured and lit model: The Fourth Chamber - color pass detail

A detail of the landscape.

11 November 2006
Great progress, I like the way it's turning out. Reminds me of Jim Burns.

11 November 2006
I hadn't seen this thread until now. It's fantastic. Great sense of scale and curving sides of the chamber. Wow!

11 November 2006
Hey Tiziano,

I can only agree with Mark here, fantastic work !
I really like how you nailed the described features of the chamber and your Patricia is coming along very beautiful!

-sabrina

11 November 2006
Folks, you've stunned me speechless!

After such amazingly appreciative comments I really don't know what I could say without sounding either falsely humble or inordinately proud of myself.

I can only thank you all most warmly and hope my final result won't disappoint. You've made my week!

12 December 2006
Thaldir, howz it going mate , this is looking phenominal, already the realism is speaking volumes, both composition and landscape look great! and your characters re top notch..Im am really impressed!. Great going

Marley

Thread Closed share thread