Lighting tutorial part 4: indoor and artificial lighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2007   #61
it's cool. The light on object is so realistic

Old 12 December 2007   #62
Thumbs up great work

hi great work i wanted some tutorials on lighting please can u give me iam working on maya
mentalray thank u

Edit: Since this is being stickied I'm including a link to the start of the article for those who haven't read it before: www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm[/QUOTE]

Old 01 January 2008   #63
Thumbs up

Thanks friend,its really usefull and your obsevations are really great.

Old 01 January 2008   #64
I just found this excellent tutorial/article. I'm so glad I didn't find it two years ago as I can't imagine waiting so long for part 5, or the book. Please hurry as I'm dyin' to learn more!

Old 11 November 2008   #65
Thumbs up

Hey frog (aka Richard Yot?)

i realy like your tutorial - helped a lot!
Right now i am working on a students project (i am studying computer science)
and was thinking of using some of it as a reference. As always websites are not that cool to use (non acedemic etc.) but anyway i just wanted to ask which companies you are/have been working, for or to say it in a different way... where did you get your knowledge about lighting?

Also i am very interested in texts about the creation of mood with lighting.. So far i found some good texts from Jeremy Birn (his books are very cool) and a realy nice artikel from Sharon Calahan ("Storytelling through lighting - A computer graphics perspektive")..

Maybe you have some more texts that are aimed on the creation of mood with lighting or know where to look?

Regards
-Rasmus H.
- Student at Aalborg University Copenhagen - Medialogy (5.sem.)

Old 11 November 2008   #66
Hi there,

just to reply to that last post, I got most of my knowledge about lighting through observation, although photography was a huge help in getting me to notice stuff - painting even more so for the really subtle things.

My book is finished finally - sorry it's taken so long! It will be coming out in the spring and it has two chapters devoted to creating mood and setting the scene, as well as a chapter on composition and staging. When it comes out I will post links for anyone who might want to buy it, I expect it will be in April 2009.

Old 03 March 2009   #67
wow! i LOVE this tutorial! very refined.

Old 05 May 2009   #68
This is absolutely what i need. Your opening statement says that it might not be needed, hogwash, "to those who may think so".

I am a fully fledged newb and proud of it lol and my biggest drama is rendering, i can extrude, bend, stretch and scratch my ... all at the same time but rendering just simply freaks me out and it's holding me back, Seriously....

Now that i've found your writings on light, i will have a good understanding of where i'm going wrong, with lighting and camera setups, thanks very much.

!!AWESOME!!

PS: make sure you put the book details here so i can buy it, also can i recommend a PDF version

Old 05 May 2009   #69
Thumbs up

it's so awesome thanks for the detail tutorial

Old 06 June 2009   #70
Wink

Excelent. thanks alot for the tutorial!!

Old 06 June 2009   #71
tutorial

Nice work buddy Can you send me this tutorial

Old 07 July 2009   #72
This is fantastic! Well written and easy to understand.
I got more out of reading your tutorials than I got out of reading several books on lighting.
Thanks a lot for sharing these!

Old 08 August 2009   #73
wow, this is very in depth and informative. i cant thank you enough for this write up on lighting

Old 08 August 2009   #74
vrey nice tutorial,thanks

Old 10 October 2009   #75
This looks like the place to post this, i just did a simple 3 point lighting tutorial on my blog, i'm not the biggest lighting person if anybody has any tips or advice or places to go for lighting places pls send me a msg!

thanks in advance!

reply share thread