Show off your favorite piece of lighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2004   #31
Here's Something I Did Over Night

Trying to reproduce this scene, had mixed reviews about it, but can you guys tell me what you think? I've only been rendering and lighting for a couple of months, but I've been into photography for quite awhile. Please help me out.

Thank you

Here's The Original

Here's My Rough Render

Old 02 February 2004   #32
Great job! Couple of things though - it looks like you will need to use a light gobo to cast some varied light/shadows - especially noticeable on the front grey wall. Also, angle the camera better so it's dead-on rather than at an angle. The only major noticeable differences are that gobo effect (from the clouds) and the fact that some wall edges have chips and impoerfections in them, which you could do with displacements/bumps or fake in photoshop in post.

Looking good though.

PS. would consider using an area light to cast that shadow off the cross. Try to render your image the same resolution as the original and put them side-by-side so we can compare better

Old 03 March 2004   #33
still a new kid in this 3d stuff...my interest has always been in lighting...here are some of my test render...btw mr jeremy birn, i love your book...

hdri test render using home-made light probe...

GI and SSS test render...

another GI and SSS test render...(the head ref is from michael roger's joan of arc tutorial at 3dtotal.com)

cheers guys...

Old 03 March 2004   #34
crazy stuff in there ... lighting is definetely the area i love the most, and artworks arround here (''alkali'' is a landscape which i'd like to be inside) make me feel this even stronger ...

here are some of the "pieces out of the closet" i like :

same scene with different color moods ... the first one is kind of simple (a few spots), the second one was shamefully cpu-intensive.

"menace"

& finally this one i especially love for it is real time rendered (Direct3D engine) ... Lighting in real time is kind of exciting, you get the fastest feedback ever but you have to deal without shadow casting, it's a good exercise ... of course, for a daylight shot, that would be another story :P

hope you will enjoy,
nice gallery for a so essential topic !

Last edited by astrofra : 03 March 2004 at 05:25 PM.

Old 04 April 2004   #35
Here is a few of mine.

Old 04 April 2004   #36

short cam-flight: http://www.germanimation.de/movies/fabrik_indeo51.avi 1.9MB

and another one:

Concept sketch by Jay Shuster| Art of StarWars Episode II

well both don't require that much knowledge about lighting but I like them.

Wolf

Old 07 July 2004   #37
Well why not...these are a bit older but I like em.

I still like those traditional lighting and rendering methods..I like the "CG" look!!

Old 07 July 2004   #38
Very nice images for those who posted their early renders!

Here's a few of my first renders(well serious ones :-) )...unfortunately in the process of moving to Atlanta to go to school these pics are all I have of the projects :(. That's why they are in a low resolution. Well here goes:

Did this in '99. Everything was done in 3dsmax2.5. I think doing a render of cigarettes was popular back in the day so I tried to do one too...heh. Well the only post work on this was adding noise to simulate grain and color-correction.

One of my favorites even today....I just like the mood it sets. Also done in '99 and 3dsmax2.5....straight out of the renderer.

If you can't tell where I got inspiration from then shame on you. Done around 2000 I think....it pretty much when the QuakeIII demo(beta) came out. Made with 3dsmax3...only post was the lens flare and soft glow around everything.

Well blast away :-)

Last edited by ACamacho : 07 July 2004 at 01:08 PM. Reason: adding title

Old 08 August 2004   #39
Cool Radiance renders

These is modelled in Infini-D and Hash A:M - then exported to Radiance.
There is only one light - the sun, plus a glowing sky.
Sorry so big

Old 08 August 2004   #40

Old 09 September 2004   #41
here is mine, rendered in brazil r/s.

Old 09 September 2004   #42
the level of work here is too high, y need more hours to practice

Old 10 October 2004   #43
Originally Posted by Alex Mateo: the level of work here is too high, y need more hours to practice
Hmm... if you speak about my work, i must say these are some tests to render fast the indoor scences in brazil. many people interested on speed and quality and they request a tutorial
about it.don't know whats wrong in your eyes. let me know.thanks.

Old 10 October 2004   #44
Very very strong work indeed IMHO,

As a CG lighting apprentice, I have some questions...

-What are the good step to learn and practice CG lighting?

-Is it usual for you to do some post-process to your images in Photoshop-like app, or do you show it straight out the render app?

-What is the most challenging context for CG lighting, in a general way? Outdoor, Indoor, etc?

-Any must-have books? Is Photography books are useful?

thxs

Old 10 October 2004   #45
I did this image as a tribute to the heroes of 911 for my 2001 Christmas card.

reply share thread