Help needed with V-Ray moonlight setup

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2014
Help needed with V-Ray moonlight setup

Hi,
Im still kinda new to Vray and generally whole aspect of lighting is a pain in the ass for me, but Im creating an animated scene of clocktower interior, with camera going throught the tower and out of the window, scene is suposed to be night, lighted mainly by moonlight and I simply dont know how to set it up, nor what engines choose for primary and secondary bounces...
Im using Maya, Vray and of course, linear workflow.. Ive tryed to apply a skydome with dark blue color and adding a rectlight with white, moon-like color, but through it may look good, problem is GI settings - too noisy etc..
could you help me choose wich one to use and how to set it up ? some explanation why that one and not that one etc would be much much appreciated to understand it also..
Ive tryed to look for some tuts, but probably all of them focues on daylight and Im making right the opposite..
thanks in advance
The Last Fortess

04 April 2014
Hi shadow92,

Typically people will use one of 2 ways for setting up GI.

1.) Primary Bounces - Irradiance Map, Secondary Bounces - Light Cache
2.) Primary Bounces - Brute Force, Secondary Bounces - Light Cache

The Vray online will give you some pretty good explanations of what they do with screenshot examples. http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/

I'm not very good at explaining the mechanics behind each method of GI, however in a nutshell, Brute Force will give you more accurate GI but will be grainy in low quality. Its good for animation as a bit of grain in your renders doesn't hurt. You'll have to play around with other Vray sampling values to reduce grain when you start to render final images.

Irradiance Map is also good but will be blotchy in low quality. It's generally not noticeable in still images but the blotchiness flickers in animations if the quality is not high enough. Having said that, it can be cached for still scenes or flythroughs where they are no moving objects in the scene. You can't cache brute force GI.

Have a look at the link above and you'll find explanations on how they work.

For the time being, you're rendering stills, Irradiance Map and light cache will give you a decent result.

Hope that helps

reply share thread