Panoramic render or 180 degree render without distortion

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Panoramic render or 180 degree render without distortion

Hi there I wonder if there is a way to render a 180 degree render without distortion? in 3ds max or vray or mental ray as render engine? Or do you know how to undistort an image rendered from 3ds max in 180 grades with an wrap spherical.

Thanks!

Old 08 August 2013   #2
You'll always get distortion with a super wide field of view - it's not something specific to 3D rendering - you'd get the same distortion even if your eyes could see that wide.

Even if you convert from Equirectiliear (spherical) to Rectilinear (flat) you'll get distortion (but different. The latter will look worse with such a wide angle.

What's the intended use of the image?

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Thank you for the answer, I understand that, I can't get an image without distortion, I've seen panoramic images with a little distortion, but maybe they were cropped in the middle where the distortion is not so noticeable.

I'm making this project for a mapping in a room. I'm projecting this image in 3 different walls, one in the front, one in the left and one in the left. I want to make the people feel like they are inside this reality that I'm creating. But the straight lines when projected tend to bend when they continue from one wall to the other and I want to avoid this.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
I'm not sure as I've not tried that - I've seen a few posts on cgtalk where people have done this so you could try and find those.

I'd imagine that you'd render a separate view per wall. For spherical images, the distortion looks less if you crop it but it's always there, you can see some examples in my signature on flickr.

If you really wanted a stitched result with less distortion you could maybe render at 90 degree field of view, convert each to rectilinear (I guess) and then stitch those together but i'm just thinking out loud. I have Ptgui for stitching, and it has quite a few options for different projections, but I only use it for stitching spherical photographs.

I'd be keen to hear of the solution you end up using.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Andrew Hazelden has done some work on a a latlong shader that you could try. Download it HERE
Using his lens shader, you can render spherical panorama, then, with a stiching program like EasyPano, you could convert it to a cubic panorama, which you can use in your project.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
MisterS and asianrage thank you for your answers I'll try those software and see if I can get an image that could work with this project. Currently I'm using a 180 render from Vray and dividing the image in 3 pieces so I can project each one on each wall. When I have some result I'll post it here!

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread