Newb question about vray and white materials

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Newb question about vray and white materials

I'm using max and this has been vexing me for a while - getting a nice, bright white material in vray in a non-brightly lit environment. I do quite a few concept pieces and product models which tend to be a fairly subdued lighting environment (black bg, grey floor with blurred reflections) and my whites always tend to be dingy and grey. Now I know why this is, but has anyone got any tips on getting around it?

My current method is to whack the reflection on the vray material up to about 60%, put a plain white jpg in the environment slot and turn dim distance on and down to 1 cm or similar - so the reflection will pick up the bright white environment but not the actual objects around it mirror-style. This does work to an extent but it get awkward when the white material incorporates a logo (in that case I have to create a vray blend with an alpha channel so i can exclude the logo part of the material from the high reflection value)

Has anyone any tips? Ive been playing with other things like lightboxes off camera and the like but I cant seem to get a good result..vray light material doesnt really work either....loses shadows etc

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Have you experimented with the Exclude list on your lights? I think the way I'd approach this would be to light the environment the way I wanted it, then add lights to get the hero model looking the way I liked, then exclude the environment from the hero lights. Then there would probably be just a little more adjustment of each lighting group to smooth over the difference.

If you haven't used this feature before, the Exclude button is in the General Parameters, usually right next to the On switch.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
I take it that a curves adjustment won't do the trick?

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Cheers for the feedback guys, both the separate lighting solutions and the curves combined are getting me closer to where I want to be...who'd have thought getting a glossy white plastic material in a black studio environment would be so fiddly...

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread