Old 07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

Vray for Maya Lighting Exterior Daytime Environment

Hello,

I have a large exterior environment of a German village. Not that I'm complaining but it seems like the lighting is too simple. Here is my setup;

I'm using Vray Sun and Sky
Everything is following Linear Workflow
I'm using a Vray Physical Camera
I'm using GI
I'm using AO

Sooo is that it really? Aside from tweaking the above am I missing anything? It just seems so easy to throw in a sun flip on GI and I"m done. How do people get bloom?

Old 07-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
cgsena
Veteran
portfolio
Priyankar
Kolkata, India

hi,

please attach or give a link of the render that you are getting.

regards,

Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

Attached are the pics. I'm still working on the texturing and modeling but I would like to get the lighting out of the way. So the animation starts out with the German homes and makes it's way to the car. I'm aiming for clear skies, mid afternoon...bright.

I'm using Sun and Sky with GI and AO. I've got my AA dialled in. GI = Primary/Irradiance map, Secondary/Light cache. All linear. Eventually all the houses on the right will have sky portal lights in the windows.

So is there anything else I can do to make the lighting more realistic? I feel as though bloom is badly needed, should that be done in post?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

bump bump bump

Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Warcha
portfolio
Guillaume Goudreault
Lighting TD
MPC
Montreal, Canada

Hi Buzert

A lot of thing came in place to get a realistic image. First of, always look at some referance picture. Second, the renderer is only a tool, the setting are juste factual, they try to simulate real life, the is only 10% of the job

But here some stuf you can do to help your image

Add the effect of the camera, depth of field, light bucket, llence distortion, chromatic aberation, vigneting

Try to find where will be your point of interes and focuse on the section.

Soften the shadow depending of your light direction.

Try to break the patern of your texture, the eye will se the tileable texture.

Try to add some organic or procedural props, like tree or grass, dirt.. real life stuff.

See if you dont have hard edge witout chamfer.

Real world stuf will help improve yout image. Also, Art stuf, image composition, color balance, black and white contrast, scale,

Last edited by Warcha : 11-08-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzert
I'm using Sun and Sky with GI and AO. I've got my AA dialled in. GI = Primary/Irradiance map, Secondary/Light cache. All linear. Eventually all the houses on the right will have sky portal lights in the windows.

So is there anything else I can do to make the lighting more realistic? I feel as though bloom is badly needed, should that be done in post?

Sky portal lights in the windows would be for interior renders, right? Don't worry about that now.

Find reference images and study them. I found one for you already:

http://www.newworldeconomics.com/ar..._files/nb13.jpg

Look at all the things in that image that you could fix in yours: Is there enough haze in the atmosphere to make the distant buildings look more distant? Is the sky bright enough? Why are the lanterns so dark in yours? Should the street be more reflective? etc. Yes, bloom around bright things like the sky can be done in post, don't worry about that until later. You also don't need to worry about anti-aliasing or those kinds of final quality concerns while you are adjusting your shaders and lighting, just focus on getting all the basic tones right so they match real-life imagery first.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread