Feedback on lighting for scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Feedback on lighting for scene

Hello everyone,

How are you all in your creative worlds? I am currently working on a scene for a new short film and I have just done some work with the lighting. I understand you are all very busy people however it would really be appreciated if you could tell me what you think of the lighting. I would be extremely grateful if you could give any sort of advice!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.p...qVoH&board_id=1

Many thanks

www.wilkesanimations.co.uk

Old 07 July 2013   #2
One quick look and what I immediately noticed is the completely missing contact shadows!
Get some AO in there I would say, but don't overdo it. Did you render with GI?

Furthermore, I think you should tell us what you want to achieve, what is the scene for, what is the story behind it. Remember that lighting only serves to get a story point across! Story is the reason, or rather, should be the reason for the lighting you do. So tell us about the short, what is it about, what are the characters, genre etc.

www.patrickprobst.de
www.notanotherpixel.com

Last edited by Sowiedu : 07 July 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
I definitely agree with Sowiedu about the missing shadows. Either enable soft shadows on your fill lights or multiply those lights by an occlusion pass.

The materials on the statues good be adjusted to look more metal. Shiny metals tend to have a very low diffuse and very high reflectivity. Turn the diffuse down very low and increase their reflectivity to something like .8-.9. The one material property that makes metal appear metal is that the reflections get tinted the color of the material. So in this case make the specular color a bright, low saturated, yellow color.

Make sure your lights have motivation. Where is that purple light screen right coming from? I'd also recommend looking into using a "linear workflow" this will prevent a lot of the black areas in your scene.

Keep going!

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread