Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Rofil
portfolio
Yousif Magdi
Khartoum, Sudan

Help with Quick lighting setup for Short Animation in Maya

Hi guys, so I have this small project in which I need to render an animation of a building from outside and inside. The building have some furniture inside and I want to render a camera animation for a walkthrought around and inside the building. My problem now is for lighting. I want to make some lighting setup, I don't want to make it look as realistic but just to show of the design. at the same time I'm limited with the time I can spend on the rendering process. I don't want to use final gather or global illumination as it will take time to render. We are looking for a 5 minutes of animation here. Please if someone have any suggestion and advice, I will be glad if you shared it.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Final Gather goes really quick if you tune it up a little. Drop your point density to .1 and it will render 10x faster, literally. You will lose some quality, however.

Any way you can post an example of what you're working with? The sun/sky is usually enough to do the job, but perhaps an IBL setup would work better for you?

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Rofil
portfolio
Yousif Magdi
Khartoum, Sudan

yeah sure, I will post some pictures tomorrow when I'm done distributing the assets. okay so the sun/sky will light it only from outside? Notice I want some uniform lighting in the inside. I'm new to lighting so excuse my ignorance.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Well since you have access to Final Gather, I think it's certainly an efficient way to light up interiors. But it may not be what you need, and if you're not going for photorealism may be too much overhead on your rendertimes. Perhaps try simple point lights inside, with a sun/sky light outside?

Ideally, for interior shots you would use Portal Lights, which are Area Lights connected to the sun/sky, at each window or opening to the outside. But that may be overkill for what you need?

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Rofil
portfolio
Yousif Magdi
Khartoum, Sudan

I tried using sun/sky, and I realized it turns FG automatically. Anyway I got like a minute render time/frame, which is not that bad I guess. But I didn't like the lighting inside the library. Even tweaking the sun direction and intensity didn't help a lot. I'm not sure if putting point lights or area lights inside in efferent locations will give me this sort of cartoony look with the light distributed uniformally. Just like that lighting which is used in small scientific simulation animations. I hope you got my point. Anyway here a screenshot of my scene as a video.

http://youtu.be/yRNcAyas0Bo

EDIT: 1min/frame is not okay after doing some calculations :/

Last edited by Rofil : 06-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
catche
Expert
portfolio
Jan Petter Grashei
Sandnes, Norway

I would probably go the easy way and use some soft ambient occlusion in an ambient light with some extra omnies/spots to make things less flat. This setup renders fast, brings out details nicely and is flicker free, only bad thing is it's just not as realistic as fg.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread