Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
emlu
portfolio
Ma
ANSJSUN, Germany

Best automotive rendering software

Hello,
first of all, I doubt this is the appropriate category for my issue - excuse my mistake if this isn't!

I have tried out several rendering softwares with automobiles in search of a satisfying, intuitive solution for photorealitic output. At university, we have been taught to use Autodesk Showcase - but I strongly doubt this is the best solution... that is why I have been testing similar packages (e.g. Bunkspeed Pro, KeyShot, VRED).

Are these softwares even comparable to plug-ins like Vray, which still seems one of the best as far as I understood?

Of course I know the result mostly depends on the user. However, I would like to know how these softwares have developed and which solution is best for satisfying results in a reasonable working time.

Thank You!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
justiger
portfolio
Justiger
Germany

Hi Emlu,
as you mentioned already, there is not the one software to render cars. But I think there are pros and cons for each oft them.
the traditional way:
vray: is used a lot and seems to produce really good results in reasonal time
mental ray: : comparable to vray but many say that it's more complex to get even basic things done
maxwell: I heared of many being absolutely conviced of its quality, especially car interiors are often rendered in maxwell. But rendertimes are quite high
vred: is increadably fast to work with and pretty specialized in the automotive industry, it can handle huge amounts of data and also renders fast. But I think you don't have the same freedom as in the other applications. Its fast and relatively easy to learn but as soon as you try to do something else than product design you will feel limited. and its very expensive
keyshot: the same as vred but I heared its a litte bit more basic and rendering results are not as good. - but I also heared that its improving every day
bunkspeed: don't know

Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
HandsomeRibb
portfolio
Roger Sandberg
stockholm, Sweden

Hi.

I did a little comparison a couple of weeks ago with Vray, Maxwell and Octane render. It was an outdoor scene with a car against a backplate with HDRI lighting. If I just compare the visual output and dissregard rendertimes and so on I would rate them like this.
1. Octane render
2. Maxwell render
3. Vray

Don't know if that helps, but I thought I would share it anyway.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
dmillercg
CG Artist

portfolio
Derek Miller
Senior CG Generalist
3DExcite
USA

Hey emlu,

I currently work at a CG house where we create mostly cg car ads, and you can really use almost any software to create a great vehicle so long as it has ray tracing effects. I do recommend using HDR Light Studio if your interested in using HDRI's to light your vehicle.

http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
emlu
portfolio
Ma
ANSJSUN, Germany

Sounds great, thank you all!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread