Stylized Car Studio Lighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Stylized Car Studio Lighting

I'm new to lighting and I don't have any clear idea of how to go about achieving certain looks and effects. The style pictured is what I'm going for, and as far as I can tell achieving this look is a painstaking process of lighting every surface and highlighting every feature. I don't, however, know where to begin as regards positioning lights, types of lights, background, etc. so any information from those who make polished renders would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I've been able to come up with so far.

Here is the lighting setup I've used. (It's a mess, I know.)

For this render I have used a cyc with a flat white colour; positioned long Vray plane lights abreast to the camera facing side and front end; placed a Vray plane light immediately above the car, and; placed a Vray plane light on the diagonal of the non-camera facing side. I'm not at all sure how to position lights so as to effectively hit the cars lines and features; I know this is most likely the key to achieving the desired effect, though.

There is a dearth of good lighting tutorials for this kind of thing, so any help, links to resources, .max files, studio lighting setups, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

06 June 2013
I'd say pay attention mainly to reflection. Place 1 huge, huge top light and move it around until you get the reflection where it looks good. Then start adding lights on the side and move them to place your reflection as well.

Using some HDRI texture of an actual light in your rect light would add a lot to this render in particular as it will help break down your reflection. Something like the sftbx in this page.
http://alsen.livejournal.com/34226.html?nojs=1
(Sorry haven't spent that much time searching, there probably are some free ones around)

I would also lower the car's reflection sharpness just a tad.

Check out this google search for some car studio lighting idea
https://www.google.co.th/search?q=c...0M8jqrAeCjYGACA

Last edited by Panupat : 06 June 2013 at 02:29 AM.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Panupat: I'd say pay attention mainly to reflection. Place 1 huge, huge top light and move it around until you get the reflection where it looks good. Then start adding lights on the side and move them to place your reflection as well.

Using some HDRI texture of an actual light in your rect light would add a lot to this render in particular as it will help break down your reflection. Something like the sftbx in this page.
http://alsen.livejournal.com/34226.html?nojs=1
(Sorry haven't spent that much time searching, there probably are some free ones around)

I would also lower the car's reflection sharpness just a tad.

Check out this google search for some car studio lighting idea
https://www.google.co.th/search?q=c...0M8jqrAeCjYGACA

Thanks for the information. I will try adjusting the top light, and will also try find a softbox HDRI texture that is appropriate. Are there any tips or rules of thumb for positioning lights to properly get the desired reflections or is it just a matter of trial and error? Thanks.

06 June 2013
as far as I can tell black is one of the most difficult carpaint colours to do lighting. The problem with black is that you have to work completely with reflections because the lighting itself almost doesnt show. Why don't you try a silvery colour first?
I think HDRI-lights could really help because you will not have only these sharp reflection-edges but also some transitions.
Try following the shapes and lines of the cardesign with your reflections - your reflectionline should go from the beginning of the shoulder till the very end ... you need to emphasize the car's shapes with your lighting and reflections.
Have you heared of Hdr Light Studio (http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/) it's an increadably handy tool to have when it comes to studio lighting. I haven't used it very much thogether with Maya, but even as a standalone it is very handy to do your basic lighting. In the tool you paint and click a "lightmap", export it and back in Maya you can use this map as a HDR-environment.
For me such a lightmap is always the basic lighting and then - if I feel the need for it - i add some more standard lights...

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread