Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
ozzman1997
Veteran
portfolio
Ozzy Hattermann
Bartonville, USA

How can I get a render to look this good in 3ds Max?

I've tried all the types of lighting that I know and I can't get any of my renders to look this good. I'm pretty sure the Mental Ray Arch & Design material was used because of the reflectiveness, but when I try that it doesn't show up white in the render--even when I set the diffuse color to a pure white. The closest I could get to it is this, using a daylight system. But it still doesn't look as good.

Also I can't figure out how to get the bottom of the airplane to be slightly illuminated with that bluish tint...If anyone can help me, that would be great!

Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
ozzman1997
Veteran
portfolio
Ozzy Hattermann
Bartonville, USA

Another quick thing, the reason I want it to look like that is because I'm going to be baking a diffuse shadow over the whole plane so it will show up in Flight Simulator X. And I don't want it to have really dark areas that will look black in-game. I just want that cool-looking shading effect.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
playmesumch00ns
Lord of the posts

render monkey
pretty picture maker
United Kingdom

Frankly, I think it looks horrible But since you asked it looks like they've just used a reflection map over an ambient occlusion pass.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
ozzman1997
Veteran
portfolio
Ozzy Hattermann
Bartonville, USA

I know it doesn't look completely realistic, I just need to cast a slight shadow over some parts of the plane that aren't exposed to as much light. I've been messing with Ambient Occlusion and it's looking a little better, but it still doesn't get the look that the other ones have. The closest I've gotten is by using MR Area Omni lights and ambient occlusion combined...It looks like he's using more lights in different places like right in front of the wings and on the tail. I'll keep trying at it...

Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Looks like a simple HDR light. You just have to try out different HDR at different angles until you find what you like.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
catche
Expert
portfolio
Jan Petter Grashei
Sandnes, Norway

I think his plane isn't reflecting the black background, so maybe he used an environment switcher or simply rendered with white background, saved as png or another format that has alpha, then added black background in post

Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread