I'm a Maya and Houdini artist. I've literally a ton of articles on 2009's breakout hit Avatar where they explained that an enormous time saver for them was to render out the beauty passes using Renderman, and use their PantaRay GPU rendering cluster to render all of the other passes. I got to thinking about how one could recreate that same type of pipeline on a smaller scale for freelance/individual work using "off the shelf" products.
This is definitely a workflow I'd like to test and hopefully adopt if it works well, but I need a bit of help as far as GPU renderers are concerned.
What is the best GPU renderer currently available to the general public that:
- Works with both Maya & Houdini?
- Can handle animations with ease?
- Can render Maya/Houdini specific FX (Maya Fluids, PyroFX, etc)?
- Has very little problems with GI, AO, Caustics, RT Refractions & Reflections?
- Is physically correct, and production proven (small projects to large projects)?
- Can use multiple GPUs (not a deal breaker)?
So far I've stumbled across Octane which seem about it, but was wondering if that's as good as it gets for non-production studio environments???