Help to create interior realistic lighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Help to create interior realistic lighting

Hello everyone,
i've some problems with my scene when I want to rendering. So as you see on the picture, it's not 'bright' as I want. I use mental ray. I just have 3 windows in 3 area light+portal light, I put physical sun & sky too. I added 2 'neon' on the top because it was too dark but the results isn't good. All the textures I put on object look flat, like I put a lamber with a color :/ Look at the library for example. I used GI+FG too
It's just a draft render (some things are missing), but the whole image is crap for me. Too flat/dark.
fist example without area light from window, second with, the third I added mrphysicalsun.
I'd like to have an realistic image but with some contrast/light, and with GI I can't. I tried without GI/FG, I'm not good for that, I created too much bouncing light because it's bounce everywhere and the final is strange...
I'm waiting for your advices.

Here is the original picture :

1 :

2:

3:

Wildlife photography

03 March 2013
Are you using linear workflow?

If you look at your reference, see how overly bright it is out side the window? That's probably what you need - some really bright area light. Linear workflow will come into play here or the area near your window will become over exposed.

The materials in your reference are fairly reflective as well. That's why it's able to reflect more light around. You could probably do the same using mia material or crank up your FG strength.

There is also no direct light in your reference. So you could probably get rid of the sun.

I would get rid of the neon light thing. That shadow casting from the ceiling to the right is looking really strange.

Last edited by Panupat : 03 March 2013 at 09:15 AM.

03 March 2013
thank you, no I didn't know about linear work. I did it, better but still ugly. With Physical sky&sun less over exposed for the wall with linear workflow but the image is very flat, so I removed it as you said, and now area light isn't enough to light the scene. The 3 area lights is set to 5.0 intensity, if I put 1 or 2 it's too dark.
first is GI, second FG, third FG+GI.
I push up the reflectivity for some shaders but there isn't big improvement. Anyway it's ugly, I watch some tuts but it's not what I want. all of that give me headache lol

4:

5:

6 :

7:

Wildlife photography

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread