Maya particlesCloud problem / cotton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Maya particlesCloud problem / cotton

Hey all !

I'm now working on a short film (graduate movie for school )
We have a lot of forest/trees,
we decided to use matte as possible for the background, leaves mass for the middle/back, and handmade 3d leaves for the foreground.

Now i'm testing some rendering about the masses, we would like to translate this kind of 2D look into 3D (not realistic) :

look at the background red mass of leaves, not so much details, but a bit crispy, and with translusence on the border.

So I thought about using Maya particlesClouds to get a sort of cotton/cotton candy , but not so realistic. After few test, i got a shape that i like for a beginning :

at this point there is no lights, so no question about lighting/translusency already.
So i tried to import it in a scene, with a basic direcitonnal light, i like it cause it's kind of fluffy, and the tree can desapear trough the mass, here ine the viewport I guess you see what i mean :

Proble, when I render, i get more longer render time (because of the light i guess, and there are a lot of particles), and i also get BLACKS particles, like if they where full shadowed, it is very ugly, and seems random :/ :

So i tried to look for a way to disable self shadowing, but did not find, so i went to the MR flags and override for "no shadow" , so i get something closer to when it was with no lights, but stil some artifacts where the tree colide with it :

so, seems buggy..? or is it the tree shadow ..? anyway it is ugly, and I don't have shadows from the mass on the floor anymore.

Here is my particleCloud shader (simple, with a tweaked Cloud 3d texture) :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...352731187-5.jpg

Any idea to solve this ?
Any other direction to get what i whant (translusency, leaves mass, etc..) maybe something less tricky ? I'm open to any suggestion, this topic is as much how to solve my problem as how to do what I want in another way...

thank you by advance

PS : sorry for my bad english :s

11 November 2012
Hi all,
i finally fixed the problem, turning the diffuse amount more than 0 and removing my cloud 3D texture (it was too messy).

But I still don't have what i want and it is too expensive, so i'll forget about particles cloud for that, does anybody have an idea about how could I get something near to the 2D pictures I posted ?

I mean, not exactly the same, but something like a cloudy/fluffy tree ,with translusence on the edges, which take light and does not look flat.

I tried using textured planes, but it is too flat ant does not take the light (no backscatter, no translucence on the edges).

thanks

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread