Show off your favorite piece of lighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2009
It´s my first realistic render using maya and mental ray, i´m work´s 8 years using 3ds max, and on last year i migrate to maya to works with a render/lighting artist.. In this scene i create shaders, lighting, render and comp. Usin maya, mental ray and fusion..

Vetor Zero
Lighting TD

Site:
www.igorvfx.com

São Paulo - Brazil

03 March 2009
Wow some absolutely stunning pieces of work here! I gotta pull my finger out and start learning more about how to do stuff in Max!

03 March 2009
Here's my new studiosetup including a macrotent for jewelryshots and other small stuff, it's currently a work in progress and these are some of my testrenders.

Studiosetup

Macrotent

Examplerenderings

Btw, this entire studiosetup will be on sale when it's finished.

/ Magnus

Last edited by Magnus3D : 03 March 2009 at 09:14 AM.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: Here's my new studiosetup including a macrotent for jewelryshots and other small stuff, it's currently a work in progress and these are some of my testrenders.
/ Magnus

Nice! I had the same idea at some point. Though I really don't see a practical point, unless it really provides some practical benefits, except from you have a "real" studio and work as a photographer. It's more for fun I think.

04 April 2009
my fav. renders

hi ...i want to thank the cgsociety people for bringing up such a plateform where we can learn and grow.
i am new to 3d field and lighting is my fav. part in 3ds max(the only part i know ..and thts too a little...lol). all my these renders are in 3dsmax mental ray.

CHECKING THE HDRI

THNX AGAIN

04 April 2009
Here's Mine

Well I m just a budding lighting artist so the image I m showing need c&c's plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. these images are my best as far as I m concerned......
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/...intura43/HD.jpg

Last edited by pankajkaintura43 : 04 April 2009 at 08:02 AM.

05 May 2009
Talking my first upload

hello guys this is my first upload on this forum, i need you critics or anything that you want to say about my image.

thanks guys

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: Here's my new studiosetup including a macrotent for jewelryshots and other small stuff, it's currently a work in progress and these are some of my testrenders.

Thats an interesting idea, as right now I'm more biased to a photographic render approach. If you finally make a dvd I'll buying it (if for maya too and not too expensive).

I have a question, do you really get the light go past through the umbrella, or it is just for reflections? (placing light in front)

07 July 2009
This is a great thread!

So much inspirational stuff here.

07 July 2009
I completly forgot i posted in this thread until i noticed someone just posted here today. I'm sorry!

mister3d: the benefits of using a correctly built setup like this one is that you have the actual studioprop to work with as then you get a much better sense of scale and realism as you're planning your "shot". Because with these props you have to position them and rotate them in place just like you in a real studio would move and rotate a lightingprop for your shot. So this setup will definately give you that real feel instead of using just simple imageplanes or standard emitters in your 3d application. This is like the real stuff!
Also another thing they help improve is in reflective surfaces on objects, you will get proper reflections from these props as you would in a real studio when you photograph anything reflective there, the diffusers and umbrellas all throw a typical looking reflection in a surface. This setup will help you with that too. And much more!

Dogway: Thanks these studioprops will be released but not on an actual dvd, they will be downloadable content. And they will come at a nice fair price, don't worry. They won't be as expensive as it's real life items are hehe. About light passing through the thin cloth surfaces, that really depends on the renderengine you use. If it has a sss material which can be applied to singlepoly thin meshes or not. If it has that then yes light can pass through and you will get correct soft light. I have tested this in Modo and it works very well there. More info about when the official release of these props will be announced soon..

/ Magnus

08 August 2009
ivanjames: Your artworks are overburned in some places, also modeling is very simple but it is not a place to tlak about that

What renderer do you use?

08 August 2009
Hey again posted my favourite lighting piece:

08 August 2009
Question

hi, guys!
who has realistic late evening renders with candle light?

09 September 2009
/ Magnus

Have you also tried to make a light through a whiteboard? Lets say you use a light source behind a plane, and the plane is a sort of white board that allows some sort of light through.
I tried it out and it works actually pretty good, of course you can do this with out it. But still pretty cool

reply share thread