HCR MINI-Challenge #31: PIXAR Tribute

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
HCR MINI-Challenge #31: PIXAR Tribute

PIXAR TRIBUTE

All content (C) 2011 Disney-Pixar
The challenge is done for educational purpouses. No prizes are given.

Sculpt a character, environment, concept, a creature or vehicles based on the wonderful work designed and/ or built by world famous PIXAR animation studios.

First a bit of background on Pixar from those who are currently residing under a rock:

From Wikipedia:
"
Pixar Animation Studios is an American computer animation film studio based in Emeryville, California, United States. The studio has earned twenty-six Academy Awards, seven Golden Globes, and three Grammys, among many other awards and acknowledgments. Its films have made over $6.3 billion worldwide. It is best known for its CGI-animated feature films created with PhotoRealistic RenderMan, its own implementation of the industry-standard RenderMan image-rendering application programming interface used to generate high-quality images.

Pixar began in 1979 as the Graphics Group, part of the Computer Division of Lucasfilm before it was acquired by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in 1986. The Walt Disney Company bought Pixar in 2006 at a valuation of $7.4 billion; the transaction made Jobs the largest shareholder in Disney.

Pixar has produced eleven feature films, beginning with Toy Story in 1995. It was followed by A Bug's Life in 1998, Toy Story 2 in 1999, Monsters, Inc. in 2001, Finding Nemo in 2003, The Incredibles in 2004, Cars in 2006, Ratatouille in 2007, WALL-E in 2008, Up in 2009 and Toy Story 3 (to date, the highest-grossing animated film of all-time, grossing over $1 billion worldwide), in 2010. All eleven films that Pixar has produced have been largely successful, both critically and commercially. The $602 million average gross of their films is by far the highest of any studio in the industry.[1]

All the films produced by Pixar are among the fifty highest grossing animated films of all time. Finding Nemo, Up and Toy Story 3 make it to the top 50 list of highest-grossing films of all time, with Toy Story 3 at #5, Finding Nemo at #21, and Up at #41.

All eight Pixar films released since the inauguration of the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2001 have been nominated for that award, commencing with Monsters, Inc.. Six of the eight have won the award: Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3. Up and Toy Story 3 are among the only three animated films to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.

For a complete filmography of all their outstanding work

please check this page:

http://www.pixar.com/featurefilms/index.html

Because of their outstanding contributions to the computer graphics field, and taking the world of animation literally to a whole new level, the PIXAR Animation studios has been chosen as the studio we will tribute.

There are SEVEN ways to participate:

• Single Character or Creature:You can pick whatever character or creature you wish from the work done by the studio.
  • Diorama: You may sculpt the character, prop and or creature inside the appropriate environment.
Some diorama examples:

• Woody and Buzz Lightyear in Andy's Room
  • Nemo inside the Dentist's Aquarium
  • Character or Creature Series: For this type of entry requires you will try to do as many characters and or creatures as you can from an individual film.
  • Character Mash Up: (People Requested this) Have you ever considered how your favorite Pixar characters if you tweak them a bit? Well this is your chance:
Some examples:

• Woody look like Daniel Craig's character in Cowboys and Aliens
  • Buzz Lightyear in a 60's style NASA space suit.

• Environments: This type of entry requires you will try to recreate environments built by Pixar.

Some examples:

• The town of Radiator Springs from the film CARS
  • Wall-E's Home
  • Monsters, Inc HQ
  • 3D Concept Art: This type of entry requires you will try to recreate concept art done by Pixar.

Some Examples:

• Original buzz light year sketches from Toy Story I
  • The Unused villains from "the Incredibles".
  • Self Portrait :This type of entry requires you will try to create a self portrait in the style of a pixar film.
    Some examples:

• sculpt yourself as a rat from the film Rattatouille
  • sculpt yourself as a car from Cars

THE CHALLENGE:___________________________

Sculpt one or more representations of the PIXAR animation studios in 2 month 1/2 from his filmography. The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible dateline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, and the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded/ rigged. But the model will have to be a close a possible to the PIXAR'S Style.

A big part of the challenge is that the modeler will have to scavenge all the reference /concept art for the film models.

CAN YOU DO IT?

What is the HARDCORE MODELING CHALLENGE?

The idea of these HARDCORE MINI CHALLENGES is to push the modeling skills participants while learning from the past. To get past preconceptions of the limits of digital art. To push digital artists into the world of sculptors & artisans. But we will have variety on these mini challenges. Sometimes we will sculpt a model based on a masterpiece, but on other times we might do Jet fighter or a landmark....

The only thing that will be consistent is the SHORT DATELINES.

At the end of the challenge, the participant should have a finished collection of entries. Keep in mind contest of high difficulty you will have TWO and a 1/2
MONTHS to do the challenge, but the rewards, even if you don't win, will be your improved skills in speed and accuracy.

EVALUATION CRITERIA:______________________

Detailed RESEARCH, and attention to detail are key for ALL entries. Please before doing an entry do your homework.

The best model will be selected by an open vote

for these categories:

• Best WIP thread
  • Best Self Portrait
  • Best Environment
  • Best Concept Art Interpretation
  • Best Mashup
  • Best Model Collection (2 or more)
  • Best Diorama
and the big one of course:
  • Best Model
The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner
designed by me.

DATELINE:

Friday September 2nd 2011

YOU HAVE TWO and a 1/2 MONTHS to do the challenge.

CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:
  • No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
  • You may NOT use a pre exiting models. All models must be done from scratch.
  • An artist may change from Character, Diorama, Mashup, or Character Series, Concept Art, Self Portrait whenever he or she wishes.
GENERAL RULES:
  • Because of the HUGE number of files WIP are NOT encouraged, only final entries
  • WIP threads should be posted on the Hardcore Modeling Challenge forum and should follow the following naming convention: HARDCORE MODELING!: PIXAR TRIBUTE: <<TYPE OF ENTRY >>
    • For each image you should post:
      Title of Model Completed[Model Images]
      Comments:
And should be posted on both the individual WIP thread on on this master thread.

• For each model 3 Orthographic renders ARE REQUIRED. These renders are for TOP, SIDE, BOTTOM views and a BEAUTY RENDER.BEAUTY RENDER:
    Final RENDERS should be rendered at 1600 X 1200 OR 1200 x 1600 in JPG format.(Post only as link) A smaller 800x 600
    OR 600 x 800 image should be posted on the threads.

ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERINGS:
    Orthographic renderings ARE REQUIRED for EACH entry and should be rendered at 800 x 600 OR 600x800.

- This means you need to submit renders of the from the Front, Sides (2), Back, Top and bottom.
  • TURNTABLE ANIMATION (VOLUNTARY).
    - I recommend to aid the voters a turntable rendering of the model. It would have to be done in QuickTime or Windows Media at a resolution of 600 x 400 OR 300 x 200. The render might be done as a Quickshade or Beauty Render.
  • Please add a brief text description about your piece.
  • The artist also has to post total length of time it took to do and program used.
  • Future topics for hardcore Challenges will be picked at random from the list on
    this >>thread << (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
  • Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
  • Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
  • Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
Reference:__________________
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06 June 2011 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #2
Owned by Steve Job (Pres. of Apple). Jobs start Pixar by buying the 3D department of ILM when Georges Lucas was selling stuffs. He buy it 5 millions.

Jobs invested 5 millions more before Toy Story first movie. When the movie screen, he install the Pixar at the financial market and the next day Steve as a compagny of 140 millions.

The next project of Pixar is Brave: Story of a young red hair girl in medieval era, who was train with a bow.

Old 06 June 2011   #3
Man this is rough. I have to join because it's so awesome, but I don't have time!!! I'll prolly do something small. Gotta brainstorm now

GL everyone!

-rage

Old 06 June 2011   #4
Can't wait to get started, have a few ideas, we'll see

Old 06 June 2011   #5
Is this a NURBS only competition ?
Nice subject, can't wait to see the results

Old 06 June 2011   #6
You can model in any method, program and or technique you want.

The key rule is just to have fun.

-R

Old 06 June 2011   #7
Cool this looks like it should be fun and get me off my lazy bottom .I am in for this for sure .Can we make an all new character based on it right.
Demo Reel -https://vimeo.com/user42304717/videos

Last edited by fusedgore : 06 June 2011 at 12:14 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #8
Yes you can, but is had to be based on A Pixar property.

Old 06 June 2011   #9
Hi Roberto and everyone, thanx for this challenge
just one question the about way to participate : could we modelise one character in his environment?
If i've idéa and time, it will be humble version of "Syndrome" from the awesome Incredibles movie.

GiL.

Last edited by GilRen : 06 June 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #10
First read the rules and second you have to scan for HMC #31 threat of syndrome. So ya there's one existing.

You can just modelize the charcater.. if you have time you can add environment but it's a diorama. If you do both, you will be particpate, at less, in two categories: Best Model, Best Diorama.

Old 06 June 2011   #11
Thank you Scote for the reply, excitement blew me up some steps for my first participation at CGSociety challenge
i'll chose another character and his environment.

GiL.

Last edited by GilRen : 06 June 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #12
Nono! You can choose the same buddy! No rule about that! You want to do Syndrome go for it.

You just have to make it better then the other guy. It's a challenge after all.

Old 06 June 2011   #13
I want to try and enter this, I love Pixar's films too much not to enter, but the first two bullet points under general rules are confusing me already as the seem to contradict each other.

Old 06 June 2011   #14
Originally Posted by tyrantmonkey: I want to try and enter this, I love Pixar's films too much not to enter, but the first two bullet points under general rules are confusing me already as the seem to contradict each other.

OK could you be more specific...

Old 06 June 2011   #15
ok, let's go for the "Syndrome's diorama"
good luck all and see you soon in the forum,

GiL.

Thread Closed share thread