HMC#25 The Oceans - Cleaner shrimps at work on moray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2010
HMC#25 The Oceans - Cleaner shrimps at work on moray

Hi,

This is my first attempt at HMC. I've been lurking on this forum since the beginning, and recently thought about trying it. This subject is great, so here's my concept for my submission. I am going to create a diorama depicting two morays and many shrimps. The main idea is to reenact a shrimp's courageous attempt at getting food from the mouth of a large moray. I will start in Max, then move on to zBrush, and finish the render in Max MentalRay. Here is my main reference for the whole scene.

http://www.earth-touch.com/result.p...-at-work-on-eel

and the base mesh for the moray done in max:

Last edited by supernekosan : 05 May 2010 at 06:10 PM.

05 May 2010
Here's a small update, a first zbrush pass.

05 May 2010
Nice start and sculpt so far. These shrimps sure are courageous, to go inside the mouth of the moray eel like that!
Since you are going for a diorama, would be cool if you sculpt a rock with a crevasse or a sunken log since moray eels spend the majority of their time hidden at these kind of places, the head out, waiting for preys.

05 May 2010
I had some time today at work to finish both the first moray and the open mouth version.

Last edited by supernekosan : 05 May 2010 at 01:48 AM.

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by MightyReg: Nice start and sculpt so far. These shrimps sure are courageous, to go inside the mouth of the moray eel like that!
Since you are going for a diorama, would be cool if you sculpt a rock with a crevasse or a sunken log since moray eels spend the majority of their time hidden at these kind of places, the head out, waiting for preys.

Yes indeed, they are really impressing. I hope to realistically portray the dangers the shrimps must withstand to survive. I will probably create a crevasse with some plants and fishes. Thanks for the idea of the sunken boat, I think it's a great idea but I prefer to keep going with vegetation and rock. So I'm done for today. Tomorrow I will start the environment.

Last edited by supernekosan : 05 May 2010 at 02:00 AM.

05 May 2010
Awesome choice. That is a seriously intimidating eel you made. I like the detailing so far. Do they really have that second level of teeth in the back of their throat?

05 May 2010
loving the amount of detail on this one!! keep up the good work dude!

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by TiMrozek: Awesome choice. That is a seriously intimidating eel you made. I like the detailing so far. Do they really have that second level of teeth in the back of their throat?

That's great because it's exactly the kind of feeling I am looking for. The more intimidating the moray appears, the more courageous the shrimps will look, and that's what I want to convey. They do have a second layer of teeth. It kind of reminds me of Alien, somehow. Here's a ref that shows it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P..._moray_eels.svg

Thanks for the encouragement. Iíll try to get the same amount of detail for the rest of the scene.

Last edited by supernekosan : 05 May 2010 at 08:19 PM.

05 May 2010
Okay I got more stuff done today. I had time to start the environment, and I did some test renders as well.

So I started the environment in Max 2010. Here is the base mesh ready to go in zbrush:

And here is a rough of where I am going with zbrush:

Hi rez:

+ some test renders that give a better idea of what I am hoping to achieve:

05 May 2010
awesome work man. i'm really liking it so far. good stuff.
HCM #25 Cuttlefish Diorama

05 May 2010
wow!

love the environment and the placement of the eels. keep it coming.

05 May 2010
Wow, this is seriously good work. That rock looks fantastic, and I really dig the composition in the first test render you showed. Also, the fact that eels basically have a second mouth inside their mouth makes them about twice as scary to me....

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

05 May 2010
Here is a new update. I started to work on the floor and the shrimp in zbrush, and I have made some displacement tests + a new render with every element put into place. I still have to [decide/work on the pose(s)]?? and do a second pass in z brush.

Here is the [base mesh for the shrimp]? + displacement version

This is the floor made in z brush.

A displacement test for the moray.

And a general idea of the final render.

05 May 2010
Holy carp! That last render is so awesome! I really hope you go with that idea, it's so crazy looking but then you reallly have to look to see what they are doing. Like it a lot!

05 May 2010
I agree, looks great! Keep em coming!

Cheers!

Thread Closed share thread