HMC #22: Classic Self Portrait: Tim Mrozek

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2009
HMC #22: Classic Self Portrait: Tim Mrozek

Hello all, well, I've been working on characters a lot lately and I've been digging into ZBrush so I'm pretty excited to jump on board for this challenge. It's been tough narrowing it down and I have been sitting in front of my computer struggling to pick which to use. I had narrowed it down to Laocoon and His Sons by Agesander, Athenodoros and Polydorus
Agesander, Athenodoros and Polydorus, and The Death of Marat by David. I settled on The Death of Marat because I feel like it's a more realistic that I could finish this piece, and because I've noticed not many people are using paintings as their reference so figured I would go that route. I've also just always loved the work of David and this has been one of my favorites for awhile.

Here it is by the way. Now the question is, do I cut my hair and/or shave my beard of just add those elements to the portrait.

09 September 2009
Cool, just found this image too, another interpretation by another artist nearly 100 years later. Never knew this existed. Artist was Paul-Jacques-Aime Baudry

Ok, time to get crackin on a self portrait of myself as a murder victim. The history of this painting is pretty interesting so if anyone is interested check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Marat

Last edited by TiMrozek : 09 September 2009 at 12:14 AM.

09 September 2009
i love that painting. i don't think you should change yourself for the challenge, unless you really want to. i've come to think of you as your avatar :P

09 September 2009
Well, my hair has gotten significantly longer since, however, I've not been without beard for years now so that has to stay.

09 September 2009
wow the second representation's marvelous [yes I love those stripy dresses]... David's painting is a true classic and would definitely be very challenging. I'm also a real fan of David - especially his painting of the Lavoisiers [the detail there always blows me away]. Best of luck with Marat!

09 September 2009
Ha, well, if I have time perhaps I'll add the murderer in her striped dress. That's the best thing about 3D, the limitless amounts of points of view. I plan to try to make this viewable from all angles. I see a lot of 2D paintings represented in 3D that can only be viewed from one angle. And yes, I've been a huge fan of the immense attention to detail by David ever since my wonderful history of 18th century French art class a few years back. It ended up being half a history of David class.

On another note, decided to post my current progress, just setting up the scene to try to get a feel for exactly how this 2D image translates to 3D. NOt much done yet but, eh, whatever, here it is. Wanted to do more but had to watch Top Chef.

09 September 2009
Well, a little bit of progress. Been a busy weekend. Should be able to put in some serious effort tomorrow but for now, to keep me going and to update, here is my mug! and an early wire of my basemesh for my face (still very WIP)

Last edited by TiMrozek : 09 September 2009 at 02:06 PM.

09 September 2009
I have basically finished my base mesh for my face. My ears will be covered by cloth most likely (unless I change the image a bit) but I had to torture myself and make ears again. I'm pretty happy with them, they're simple but they are clean and all quads. Also tweaked a good bit. I know it's hard to tell from the last update to this one because I took a sneaky shot of my last wireframe, where it was harder to tell that the cheeks were too deflated and the the lips were all off. Anyway, it's not perfect but I'll use zbrush for that. Onto the body.

Last edited by TiMrozek : 09 September 2009 at 01:51 AM.

09 September 2009
Apparently twitpic isn't good for hosting images. They all seem to disappear from my thread 2 minutes after I post.

09 September 2009
Good start, I was going to comment about the mouth being off, but then I realized that you are bringing it into zbrush! duh. The shape of the tub is great. Are you going to add claw feet to the tub? I don't know if that was the time period, but they are fun.

09 September 2009
may I recommend photobucket?
It allows you to create multiple albums, so you could create an album for every challenge u enter

http://www.photobucket.com

-Rage

09 September 2009
good progress Tim photobucket doesn't allow any nudity though - so a hint for future projects, they do take down 3d nudes too

09 September 2009
i find www.imageshack.us to be the best for me for image hosting, i've used it for years

09 September 2009
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm actually already using photobucket for another project I've got going on. Forgot about it's gallery's so I might switch over to that. Also, I had an old imageshack account so if photobucket considers a nude male upper torso to be offensive I have that as a back-up.

09 September 2009
My personal favorite is Flickr.com, you can create sets and collections and directly connect to the farm files too.

Thread Closed share thread